“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #244 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The room was very small. The bed was a mattress sized lump of rubber and hideously uncomfortable. The window, although closed, had a draft which blew down on my head, so I had to move to the other end, precariously underneath the small and badly installed TV ledge. The radiator didn't work, until I got someone to look at it. I decided not to be woken early with a breakfast tray so do not know whether it was any good. When leaving the surly older Arabic guy on the front desk refused to help me take my heavy bag downstairs, saying' Not my duty, not my duty...' I certainly won't be staying here again. If you are older and want a few comforts look elsewhere. If you are younger and don't mind a budget experience then try it. I will say the location is good, 5 mins from Dam Square, with a tram stop nearby. There is a small working kettle in the room, and a good small fridge. but nowhere to puts stuff, and nowhere to sit except the bouncy bed.

Room Tip: I have no tips, they are all at least up 3 flights of steep stairs.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The room is not really large, but contains everything! Breakfast is served in room and there's a boiler so you can prepare tea everytime you want! Is really close to the city center (more or less 5 minutes walking ). Prices are good too since it's not so expansive! Only one advice: pay attention to the stairs since are really steep! Watch your step! :)

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Had no trouble finding this place from central station and it is only a 10 minute walk. Only a 2 minute walk from Anne Frank House and Dam Square. In amongst lots of the canals and great for cycling!
There are a lot of stairs especially if you are on top floor, which we were, but we did not mind the exercise and also when in Amsterdam... Steep staircases cannot be avoided!
Breakfast was basic but sufficient and it does come quite early... Between 8 and 8:30 and consists of some sliced wholemeal bread, fruit juice carton, boiled egg, soft cheese or slices. There are tea and coffee making facilities in room as well as a fridge... Staff had no problems supplying us with extra t & c on request.
We had a double ensuite which was fairly small but enough for what we needed it for (safe, secure, clean). There is a TV and safety deposit box. Bathroom very small - utilitarian but sufficient. Clean towels were provided daily.
We were given our own key to the front door so we could come and go as we liked.
Staff were welcoming and attentive which also added to the stay.

Room Tip: Room 8 was nice but top floor so lots of stairs!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Perfect central location and was clean enough. The breakfast each morning was basic but it done the trick! The staff were very friendly and even gave us a room with a balcony, which gave a little extra space as the room was quite small. This is a good hotel for a place to sleep but it is no more than that!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed there with some friends of mine a couple of years ago. None of us liked the hotel. There is a neverending staircase as soon as you enter the building and the rooms were really small. It seemed to be clean until we found a rat in our room one night. The owner of course agreed to give us another room. A small breakfast was included as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Unfortunabely, my experience with Westertoren wasn't good at all. I had to cancel my booking as the flight I was supposed to get was cancelled due to strike. I e-mail the Hotel, but I didn't get any
reply. They just got my money from credit card even if I told them that the cancellation wasn't due to my will. Besides, immediately often they cancelled my reservation and got my money, they rebooked the room to someone else, so they didn't actually lose my money because of any canceling. I strongly advice you not to book which them.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Zlate Klasy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We travelled to Amsterdam in May 2013 to watch UEFA Europa league final match in Amsterdam Arena. The hotel meet our expectations. It was very central and good for exploring the city both on foot or using public transport. Trams are just a short walk away and the central station can be reached in 10 minutes. We stayed in a room for 5, which was spacious enough. The bathroom needs a reconstruction, but it was not important for us. There was a wifi in rooms and the staff was very kind a helpful. We enjoyed our stay in Westertoren and will definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de Westertoren? Share your experiences!