“Good hotel on a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel de Westertoren
Raadhuisstraat 35b, 1016 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #244 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Good hotel on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Perfect central location and was clean enough. The breakfast each morning was basic but it done the trick! The staff were very friendly and even gave us a room with a balcony, which gave a little extra space as the room was quite small. This is a good hotel for a place to sleep but it is no more than that!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed there with some friends of mine a couple of years ago. None of us liked the hotel. There is a neverending staircase as soon as you enter the building and the rooms were really small. It seemed to be clean until we found a rat in our room one night. The owner of course agreed to give us another room. A small breakfast was included as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Unfortunabely, my experience with Westertoren wasn't good at all. I had to cancel my booking as the flight I was supposed to get was cancelled due to strike. I e-mail the Hotel, but I didn't get any
reply. They just got my money from credit card even if I told them that the cancellation wasn't due to my will. Besides, immediately often they cancelled my reservation and got my money, they rebooked the room to someone else, so they didn't actually lose my money because of any canceling. I strongly advice you not to book which them.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Zlate Klasy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We travelled to Amsterdam in May 2013 to watch UEFA Europa league final match in Amsterdam Arena. The hotel meet our expectations. It was very central and good for exploring the city both on foot or using public transport. Trams are just a short walk away and the central station can be reached in 10 minutes. We stayed in a room for 5, which was spacious enough. The bathroom needs a reconstruction, but it was not important for us. There was a wifi in rooms and the staff was very kind a helpful. We enjoyed our stay in Westertoren and will definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Not only could we not check in on time, we had to leave in the middle of the night because the hotel clerk's sexual harassment.

Our first encounter with the hotel clerk was when he was yelling and berating the cleaning lady. We were unable to check in a few hours later. The hotel clerk (Sam) was completely inappropriate with us. He spoke about his experiences at the Red Light District and his preferences. For an example, he told us for two euros he can watch a naked woman dance and that's what he prefers. He then further discussed other inappropriate things he liked. After his conversations, he wanted to take a picture of us. We were desperately trying to get out of there and agreed to it. We thought it was a picture of us and the first one was of us. Then he wanted to take a picture with one of us and tried to kiss her! After one of us telling him to stop, he said she liked it and kept trying After that picture, he insisted to take a picture with the other girl. He rested his head on her chest and wanted two pictures with her. We agreed to the pictures because we were unsure as to what other things he might do. We were completely mortified and left the hotel in the middle of the night. And by left, we quickly packed our luggage and darted out of the hotel. Apparently, he noticed our disappearance (within 5 minutes of exiting the hotel) because we saw him run out of the hotel and watched us get into a taxi.

We never had this experience before in any other countries. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
NW USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Very friendly, nice gentleman on duty, well-spoken English, who kindly stored my suitcase on early morning arrival. He also made sure I had breakfast delivered the night before an early departure. The stairs aren't that bad if you're reasonably fit and I'm an older lady! Really appreciated the in-room coffee/tea. And the cutest balcony with nice view, table and 2 chairs, where it was permitted to smoke tobacco.
The room I had was on 2nd floor, shared toilet (never saw anyone else), with shower/sink combo in room that worked fine. Small but well designed space, very clean and quiet. Easy walk to Central Station, central Amsterdam is easily walkable, I only went as far as the Albert Cuyp Market, (the tram is expensive!) and the Rijksmuseum. For a longer stay I would look at apartments or larger room, but would have been happy to stay here 3 or 4 nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Really nice hotel - very friendly staff, great value, great location - just 5 minutes to Dam square (the main square) and to Anne Frank's house. Tea and coffee facilities in room. We were 3 floors up and there were steep staircases (typical for Amsterdam though) - great view from room balcony though!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel de Westertoren? Share your experiences!