“Amazing value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel de Westertoren
Raadhuisstraat 35b, 1016 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #245 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Really nice hotel - very friendly staff, great value, great location - just 5 minutes to Dam square (the main square) and to Anne Frank's house. Tea and coffee facilities in room. We were 3 floors up and there were steep staircases (typical for Amsterdam though) - great view from room balcony though!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
New Westminster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We left after the first of a planned four night stay. This was the 13th hotel we stayed at in Europe this summer, all in a similar price range. From reading hotel reviews, I was aware of the long, steep stairs and that the hotel had no air conditioning (which one would really appreciate when you have a room on top floor). However, the room was a tight fit for three people and the noise from the busy street below kept us awake ALL night. Although we were given a fan when we requested one, it was still absolutely necessary to sleep with the patio door open all night. Breakfast was also not on par with the rest of our experiences. It was delivered to our room, and per person consisted of three pieces of bread (no toaster in room), 1 butter, 1 jam, 1 yogurt and 1 hard boiled egg. No plates or knives were provided. Tea and coffee making facilities were available in the room, but no breakfast drink was provided for our 9 year old daughter.
Although the young man in the office was very pleasant, he insisted that I would have to pay for 4 nights if we left. I told him I was willing to pay for two - one for the night we had stayed, and another as an equivalent to a "no show" for the reservation. He went as far as to call the owner, but in the end took my offer of two nights' pay. If you are young, not a light sleeper, don't need a lot of space and like cold bread for breakfast, this hotel is in a great, central location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Historical building, very well located - at a walking distance to the city center. High stairs and no elevator, 76 steps to the room on the 2nd floor. Small and clean room for three persons, bathroom incredibly small, balcony with a nice view; breakfast on time every morning, by the door, good minimum service.

Room Tip: Too tall and narrow stairs for retired people, the reception is at the (high) mezzanine.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

In the hotel's webpage it was stated that I can cancel my reservation without any charge 1 week in advance. I cancelled my reservation 1 week in advance but I was charged with the first night (Same amount that is charged to a no show-up customer). When I contacted the hotel to ask the issue I was told that I passed the time. The hotel owner did not want to refund my payment. Not to pay a fee for a service which I have not received I told him that I do not want to cancel my reservation anymore and wanted to stay instead. The hotel owner said me he is full and cannot provide me a free room to stay. He did not have any business loss and just charged me for a service that he did not provide. I was completely dissatisfied with his attitude.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

The Hotel de Westertoren and the small, similar hotels in the arcade on Raadhuisstraat in Amsterdam, between the Herengracht and Keizersgracht (canals), are an unsung treasure for travelers to Amsterdam. I have been staying in one or another of these hotels since 1981, and I will continue to do so every time I'm in Amsterdam. They are no-frills tourist hotels, with tasty breakfasts, comfortable beds, and can't beat location. The only down side is that most are located up a 2-story, steep staircase, which can be difficult for older or infirm travelers. These hotels are for travelers who don't want to spend money on fancy but who want to be comfortable. Several hotels advertise as gay-friendly.

Room Tip: If you arrive late or at a rare time when the hotels are not full, ask if they have a double they...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My partner and I booked this hotel online from Australia and loved the pictures and reviews. Being a young couple backpacking Europe we were on a budget and just needed something with decent bedding and a shower. This hotel was close to the central train station (10-15 min walk or 7eur taxi ride) and had trams passing directly outside. Close to the centre town square, Anne Franks house and the most AMAZING dutch pancake restaraunt that EVERYONE must try - Sarah's Pancakes.
We had the room on the top floor with a balcony. The room was typical European size (small but not uncomfortable and we even had large bags) and had a shower, TV, coffee facilities, and a really comfortable bed. Toilet was right outside our door and we got a continental breakfast delivered daily. The staff were also incredibley friendly and even helped us with tours and let us leave our bags in the office for the day when we had to check out.
The only things newcomers should be prepared for is the stairs and the gorgoues cat resident (just incase your severly allergic - she doesn't come near you though). The pictures tell no lies about the stairs but you do get used to it. All the stairs are like this in the city though so it's nothing unusual.
I am happy to recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: When I made the booking I added a comment asking for the room I wanted and the staff had no problem...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rimini, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Hotel is located near by Dam square, the centre of Amsterdam. It's well connected by tram, and offers airport shuttle service free.
The room was very clean and the owner brought us breakfast in the room. The breakfast was very delicious and there was always a kettle for making coffe when you want.
There is a cat who roams the rooms, it's very funny.
The owners are very kind and hospitable and the Hotel is excellent value for money.
Great holiday!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de Westertoren? Share your experiences!