“Small but clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #233 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bucharest, Romania
“Small but clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Historical building, very well located - at a walking distance to the city center. High stairs and no elevator, 76 steps to the room on the 2nd floor. Small and clean room for three persons, bathroom incredibly small, balcony with a nice view; breakfast on time every morning, by the door, good minimum service.

Room Tip: Too tall and narrow stairs for retired people, the reception is at the (high) mezzanine.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

In the hotel's webpage it was stated that I can cancel my reservation without any charge 1 week in advance. I cancelled my reservation 1 week in advance but I was charged with the first night (Same amount that is charged to a no show-up customer). When I contacted the hotel to ask the issue I was told that I passed the time. The hotel owner did not want to refund my payment. Not to pay a fee for a service which I have not received I told him that I do not want to cancel my reservation anymore and wanted to stay instead. The hotel owner said me he is full and cannot provide me a free room to stay. He did not have any business loss and just charged me for a service that he did not provide. I was completely dissatisfied with his attitude.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

The Hotel de Westertoren and the small, similar hotels in the arcade on Raadhuisstraat in Amsterdam, between the Herengracht and Keizersgracht (canals), are an unsung treasure for travelers to Amsterdam. I have been staying in one or another of these hotels since 1981, and I will continue to do so every time I'm in Amsterdam. They are no-frills tourist hotels, with tasty breakfasts, comfortable beds, and can't beat location. The only down side is that most are located up a 2-story, steep staircase, which can be difficult for older or infirm travelers. These hotels are for travelers who don't want to spend money on fancy but who want to be comfortable. Several hotels advertise as gay-friendly.

Room Tip: If you arrive late or at a rare time when the hotels are not full, ask if they have a double they...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My partner and I booked this hotel online from Australia and loved the pictures and reviews. Being a young couple backpacking Europe we were on a budget and just needed something with decent bedding and a shower. This hotel was close to the central train station (10-15 min walk or 7eur taxi ride) and had trams passing directly outside. Close to the centre town square, Anne Franks house and the most AMAZING dutch pancake restaraunt that EVERYONE must try - Sarah's Pancakes.
We had the room on the top floor with a balcony. The room was typical European size (small but not uncomfortable and we even had large bags) and had a shower, TV, coffee facilities, and a really comfortable bed. Toilet was right outside our door and we got a continental breakfast delivered daily. The staff were also incredibley friendly and even helped us with tours and let us leave our bags in the office for the day when we had to check out.
The only things newcomers should be prepared for is the stairs and the gorgoues cat resident (just incase your severly allergic - she doesn't come near you though). The pictures tell no lies about the stairs but you do get used to it. All the stairs are like this in the city though so it's nothing unusual.
I am happy to recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: When I made the booking I added a comment asking for the room I wanted and the staff had no problem...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rimini, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Hotel is located near by Dam square, the centre of Amsterdam. It's well connected by tram, and offers airport shuttle service free.
The room was very clean and the owner brought us breakfast in the room. The breakfast was very delicious and there was always a kettle for making coffe when you want.
There is a cat who roams the rooms, it's very funny.
The owners are very kind and hospitable and the Hotel is excellent value for money.
Great holiday!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Great hotel, friendly staff, yeah the stairs are high, but so is everywhere in amserdam, its in a great location, near to everything, no long walks back,
I went with 6 friends, the room was so comfy and clean, The cat there is really friendly. Cheap prices and great service!! I would definatly recommend and stay again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

To anyone that is thinking of booking to stay here please save yourself the trouble and go somewhere else. We arrived at the hotel only to find our room was not ready, even though we arrived some 2 hours after the check-in time (12pm). The condition of the room was shabby, out-dated and it was very poorly maintained. They didnt have a room key for us on arrival and said we would have to wait half an hour for the key.
The receptionist struggled to comprehend basic english and called for 'Mark' (a manager?) through another of the hotels bedroom doors. He didnt appear, but mumbled through the door - what he a said I do know - I presume it was something to do with the fact that the establishment is a shambles and they were not ready for us.
It was a like a scene straight out of a Dutch version of Faulty Towers - only we wern't laughing. Obviously we opted not to stay at the hotel (having to still pay a nights fee as we didn't cancel before 7 days of our arrival) - and found the Park Plaza (located close to Vondelpark) for £30 more for the entire stay. The Park Plaza is a hotel in a different league to the Westertoren - amazing what you can get for a few quid more.

Beware.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de Westertoren? Share your experiences!