“Great Hotel I'll be back” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel de Westertoren
Raadhuisstraat 35b, 1016 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #244 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Rimini, Italy
“Great Hotel I'll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Hotel is located near by Dam square, the centre of Amsterdam. It's well connected by tram, and offers airport shuttle service free.
The room was very clean and the owner brought us breakfast in the room. The breakfast was very delicious and there was always a kettle for making coffe when you want.
There is a cat who roams the rooms, it's very funny.
The owners are very kind and hospitable and the Hotel is excellent value for money.
Great holiday!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Great hotel, friendly staff, yeah the stairs are high, but so is everywhere in amserdam, its in a great location, near to everything, no long walks back,
I went with 6 friends, the room was so comfy and clean, The cat there is really friendly. Cheap prices and great service!! I would definatly recommend and stay again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

To anyone that is thinking of booking to stay here please save yourself the trouble and go somewhere else. We arrived at the hotel only to find our room was not ready, even though we arrived some 2 hours after the check-in time (12pm). The condition of the room was shabby, out-dated and it was very poorly maintained. They didnt have a room key for us on arrival and said we would have to wait half an hour for the key.
The receptionist struggled to comprehend basic english and called for 'Mark' (a manager?) through another of the hotels bedroom doors. He didnt appear, but mumbled through the door - what he a said I do know - I presume it was something to do with the fact that the establishment is a shambles and they were not ready for us.
It was a like a scene straight out of a Dutch version of Faulty Towers - only we wern't laughing. Obviously we opted not to stay at the hotel (having to still pay a nights fee as we didn't cancel before 7 days of our arrival) - and found the Park Plaza (located close to Vondelpark) for £30 more for the entire stay. The Park Plaza is a hotel in a different league to the Westertoren - amazing what you can get for a few quid more.

Beware.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
tampa florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

This is at the bottom of my still stay list for A-dam. It is inexpensive but very dusty and they had to be essentially bribed to change the sheets. If I had to I would stay there again as the price is low and location perfec but I could do better for 75 Euros a night.. I got tired asking for clean sheets and the dust was very bad in the room. I routinely say I dont care much what the room is like as long as the location is good but this place is on the edge. You should try some other places in the neighborhood. It beats the Amstelzicht where I am sure the maid stole my globalphone and ran up some amazing charges.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

The hotel is very centrally located. Even with a Priceline "Big Deal" It was 100 Euros. 10 rooms located at the top of an "Amsterdam staircase". En Suite. I haven't been in Amsterdam for about a year, but thought the price was too high for pretty simple digs. Do yourself a favor and stay in one of the neyghborhoods and ride the tram. Maybe they are now pricey also

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
nth east lincs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

we stayed there for 1 night excellent position great view breakfast wat we expected friendly staff one compliant the stairs was deadly

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Hotel was overbooked (which seems like a recurring problem) and I was brought to Hotel Galery which was fortunately just a few doors away. Receptionist offered to walk me to the hotel, but did not offer to help me with suitcase down the very very steep stairs.

Once at the Hotel, I was asked to pay upfront, the same rate that I would have paid Westertoren, which I did, only to find the tiny cell I was assigned to had no ensuite shower or TV that was promised by Westertoren. To compound the problem, check-out was 11am, but I could only check in at 12noon. This meant I had to disrupt my day, just to return to the hotel, re-pack, and move to the other hotel. (Note: ask to see room before paying!)

When I went back to Westertoren, I was offered an upgrade. Yet, I still felt short-changed. I paid a high rate for a crap room. Then I had to waste time to manage a problem that they created. The receptionist also asked me to return in an hour to move my luggage. I told him to move it up for me since I did not intend to keep returning to the hotel in a day.

When I returned at 4pm, my luggage was still out in the open - with no one to guard it, neither had it been brought into my room. I found out that my new room was not ready yet. I was asked to wait at the next room for about 15 minutes. After more than 15 minutes, they were still not done yet, and they offered me the room I was in instead.

This new room was noisy - as mentioned. It´s next to a tram line and the bells are pretty, but noisy too. I had a balcony, a nice view, two beds (one double, one single), which did not help me much since I was travelling alone. (Note: I think there are rooms that do not face the main street, try and get those.) I did not get to sleep much on that one night.

This was a complicated review - the place is cheap and location is convenient, but you have to weigh it against what seems to be prevalent problems that occur and whether you wish to spend half a day of your vacation trying to sort out the problems they throw at you.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel de Westertoren? Share your experiences!