“A Star in the Making” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Tokyo, Japan
“A Star in the Making”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

First time in Amsterdam and thanks to a few minutes of googling backed up by some Trip Advisor reviews we came over what seemed like a potentially good restaurant. OMG did we get it right. Chef Tommy den Hartog is so young and yet so talented and accomplished. His creative and well balanced use of excellent raw materials presented in tasteful compositions will delight even the most discerning diners. While Tommy rocks the kitchen Aline Mannes and her team have full control of the restaurant . what a team. The daily set menu and excellent wine pairing enables you to simply sit back, relax and let yourself be pampered, great value too. A star in the making indeed - should only be a matter of short time before official stars can be added to the description of restaurant Johannes in Amsterdam – enjoy!

Edmonton, Canada
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We asked the front desk clerk at Banks Mansion for a restaurant recommendation and she booked us a table at Johannes. We couldn't have been more pleased or impressed. Food and service are equally impressive. If you have a chance, please do yourself a favour and have dinner at Johannes. It's worth every penny!

Dornbirn, Austria
“The key to quality is repeated quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I visited Johannes three times. The second time the chef came out and asked if he could cook me something special. He did. The third time I just marvelled at this restaurant's ability to repeat quality. Guys, you can't go wrong here. The food is excellent, the service impeccable, and you don't even look at the bill because of the quality experience. Whatever the service suggests, go along with it - they know best.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had 3 excellent evening meals in Amsterdam, but this was the best (and not the most expensive). It was a Wednesday evening, so we ate inside, but there are tables outside, just 10 yds from the canal. We booked only a couple of hours before dining, and the restaurant was not completely full during the evening, but I would recommend booking given the excellent reviews, and hoped for onset of summer! We went for the 4 course surprise option, with their accompanying wines, and placed our trust in their team to deliver excellence whilst noting my girlfriend's dairy intolerance. They delivered in full. Parmesan bread sticks and smoked honey almonds accompanied our aperitifs, then delicate amuse bouches arrived regularly before 4 excellent and very individual dishes. Staff were interested, helpful and friendly, and the young chef came out at the end to personally present desserts. If we came back to Amsterdam for one night, this is where we would have dinner.

• Visited May 2014
Austin, Texas
“Spectacular! Surprising! And yet, warm and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just arrived in Amsterdam immediately following a visit to several Michelin-starred restaurants in Stockholm, and was very favorably impressed at Johannes! I think the surprise menu is really quite magical -they give diners the option of a minimally-described "cheat sheet" if the really can't stand not knowing, but I would argue for just being bold and trusting them, because even with the descriptions, you won't be able to imagine the wonders that will be worked with these ingredients. My friend had four dishes, I had six; I think I might have been quite satisfied with five, but I can't even start to think which I would have given up; and even with more than I needed, I wasn't overfilled. (My friend actually didn't love one element of her last course - not because of preparation, just because she wasn't fond of the ingredient, and the staff was instantly concerned and offered to bring her another dish more to her liking - already full and satisfied and having eaten 90 percent of her plate quite happily, she gave them a pass.) The staff is so friendly and anxious to please - I understand from our waitress they have influence over the dishes and wine pairings, which means that by the time they serve, they're fully invested in the playful, savory, multifaceted (and uniformly delicious) dishes. They work well as a team, explain things with excitement and precision, and just seem to take joy having you as their customer. And for the food: It is a visual as well as a gastronomic feast. As has been emphasized already, for this quality of food and service I would have expected to pay (and would pay) more. The pretty, mostly white interior of the restaurant is a good foil for the beautiful palettes of the dishes. Wishing quite seriously that this restaurant were in my hometown, as I would be happy to return often and discover what each new monthly menu might bring!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere