“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Edmonton, Canada
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We asked the front desk clerk at Banks Mansion for a restaurant recommendation and she booked us a table at Johannes. We couldn't have been more pleased or impressed. Food and service are equally impressive. If you have a chance, please do yourself a favour and have dinner at Johannes. It's worth every penny!

• Visited June 2014

99% Recommend
Dornbirn, Austria
“The key to quality is repeated quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I visited Johannes three times. The second time the chef came out and asked if he could cook me something special. He did. The third time I just marvelled at this restaurant's ability to repeat quality. Guys, you can't go wrong here. The food is excellent, the service impeccable, and you don't even look at the bill because of the quality experience. Whatever the service suggests, go along with it - they know best.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had 3 excellent evening meals in Amsterdam, but this was the best (and not the most expensive). It was a Wednesday evening, so we ate inside, but there are tables outside, just 10 yds from the canal. We booked only a couple of hours before dining, and the restaurant was not completely full during the evening, but I would recommend booking given the excellent reviews, and hoped for onset of summer! We went for the 4 course surprise option, with their accompanying wines, and placed our trust in their team to deliver excellence whilst noting my girlfriend's dairy intolerance. They delivered in full. Parmesan bread sticks and smoked honey almonds accompanied our aperitifs, then delicate amuse bouches arrived regularly before 4 excellent and very individual dishes. Staff were interested, helpful and friendly, and the young chef came out at the end to personally present desserts. If we came back to Amsterdam for one night, this is where we would have dinner.

Austin, Texas
“Spectacular! Surprising! And yet, warm and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just arrived in Amsterdam immediately following a visit to several Michelin-starred restaurants in Stockholm, and was very favorably impressed at Johannes! I think the surprise menu is really quite magical -they give diners the option of a minimally-described "cheat sheet" if the really can't stand not knowing, but I would argue for just being bold and trusting them, because even with the descriptions, you won't be able to imagine the wonders that will be worked with these ingredients. My friend had four dishes, I had six; I think I might have been quite satisfied with five, but I can't even start to think which I would have given up; and even with more than I needed, I wasn't overfilled. (My friend actually didn't love one element of her last course - not because of preparation, just because she wasn't fond of the ingredient, and the staff was instantly concerned and offered to bring her another dish more to her liking - already full and satisfied and having eaten 90 percent of her plate quite happily, she gave them a pass.) The staff is so friendly and anxious to please - I understand from our waitress they have influence over the dishes and wine pairings, which means that by the time they serve, they're fully invested in the playful, savory, multifaceted (and uniformly delicious) dishes. They work well as a team, explain things with excitement and precision, and just seem to take joy having you as their customer. And for the food: It is a visual as well as a gastronomic feast. As has been emphasized already, for this quality of food and service I would have expected to pay (and would pay) more. The pretty, mostly white interior of the restaurant is a good foil for the beautiful palettes of the dishes. Wishing quite seriously that this restaurant were in my hometown, as I would be happy to return often and discover what each new monthly menu might bring!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Outrageously good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I decided to take my wife to this restaurant due to its close proximity to our hotel and its few rave reviews on trip advisor. The meal is is definately one of the best either of us have ever had. The waiter gave us a choice of tables and then quickly seated us, then after asking a couple of questions about our tastes in wine he chose a stunning reasonably priced white. This was just the beginning of an extraordinary experience. He explained about it being a set menu (which really troubled my wife as she is a fairly fussy eater) But again he asked us about our tastes in food etc. and we explained my wifes long list of likes and dislikes. We then plumped for the four courses (which actually ends up being about eight after the pre starters etc.) and the waiter explained that they like the menu to be a suprise, which was certainly novel. The pre-starters came out which were all sublime, and every course placed before us was a tour de force in culinary excellence, the amazing thing for us was that each of the courses placed before us we would probably have chosen ourselves from a ten page menu. We could not fault a thing, the service was equally good and the young extreemly talented chef even made it front of house to chat about some of his creations. We cannot rate this restaurant highly enough, but can honestly say we will certainly be coming back to Amsterdam, if only to visit Johannes again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere