“Fantastic place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

B&B Jordaan
Anjeliersstraat 197, 1015 NG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #70 of 326 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Fantastic place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Amsterdam (August 15, 2013), staying four nights at the B&B Jordaan, and it was a wonderful experience. I can't imagine accommodations being any better. It was centrally located - I am 77 and my wife 73 and we walked everywhere - with a tram and bus transportation, if desired, about 3 blocks away. The Anne Frank House is very close and numerous restaurants, pubs, etc. on every street. As a bonus, we were also served a BIG Holland breakfast every morning delivered to us in our room at the time we requested. Staff was so, so friendly, making us feel welcome from the moment we set foot inside. And, they were knowledgeable about the area and attractions in Amsterdam, giving us some good tips. If, or rather when, we return to Amsterdam, we will certainly stay here, if a room is available. A B&B is not a hotel; it is a like you are staying at a friend's or relative's house - giving you a warm, comfortable, homey feeling. We are from Austin, Texas, USA. Charlotte, the owner, was away on holiday with her family while we were there, but Saskia was a wonderful stand-in, and Marion did his best to help us feel welcome by providing some tips for getting around the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have only wonderful things to say about my stay at the b&b. My host Saskia was helpful, kind and lovely to talk to everyday. I was served really nice Dutch breakfast everyday and Saskia took care of my likes, dislikes and every need.

I was given the room upstairs that faces the road and it was a nice street view. The room and bed were very comfortable. There is a small dining table in the room and coffee, tea facilities. The dutch coffee was really nice and Saskia was kind enough to show me the brand so I could take some back home! Jordaan is a beautiful area and I would suggest anyone visiting Amsterdam to stay here because its away from the crowds and really gives a local feel. There are great places to eat less than a 5 minute walk from the b&b so the location is ideal.

When I visit Amsterdam, and I certainly will soon :) this is the accommodation I will book for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Aanchal S
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Best location, quiet neigbourhood, great if you're travelling with kids. We stayed for 4 nights with 2 kids and good friends. Our hostess Saskia made it very comfortable for us. Always there if we needed something. The rooms are clean, cozy, very homey. We were served a very good variety of dutch breakfast everyday. Special thanks to Mario who immediately fixed the WIFI when we lost the connection :-) Thank you very much Saskia and Mario for being soooo good and nice to us during our entire stay. You're the best hostess and host. We will sure come back and stay with you again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank traveller0596
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived for a weeklong excursion to Amsterdam and were really hoping for a cozy, feels-like-home type of experience, and we definitely got that with the B&B Jordaan! Charlotte put us in the ground floor garden room, which opens onto a little backyard garden, complete with a small table and chairs. If you're staying for more than a few days, do see if you can book the garden room! It gets a lovely amount of sun, is very quiet, and is positively beautiful in the warm season!
Every morning Charlotte brought us a delicious Dutch breakfast, which consisted of a rotating menu of sliced meats, cheeses, yogurt or a hard boiled egg, fresh squeezed orange juice, and a selection of breads. I must say, we never had breakfast anywhere else, and waking up every morning to the food was a real delight. We had a french press for coffee and a tea kettle for a tea that stayed in the room throughout our trip—the instant access really made it feel like home; having tea in the afternoon out in the garden was great!
Charlotte was beyond helpful—you couldn't ask for more, really. We told her we were foodies and she recited a long list of delicious local restaurants, then pointed them out on a map so we could find our way there. We were allowed use of the Amsterdam info books she kept on hand, and because we were kitchen adjacent, she even allowed us to keep some leftovers in the fridge. This is a place to stay when you want to feel at home!
Most importantly, at least for me, was what a lifesaver Charlotte was. I have a problem with my pelvic bones—specifically, my left sacroiliac joint falls out of place, causing one side of my body to be higher than the other, and resulting in constant pain. Unfortunately, after 3 days of a lot of walking in the wrong shoes, I threw out the joint worse than I have ever done before. I panicked about the ruin of my vacation, but my boyfriend smartly brought up the point that Charlotte had already told us if we had any medical problems, to go to her first. So we told her, and she immediately called her manual therapist (Chiropractor, for the Americans), who was unfortunately away on vacation. The office suggested sending me to some freshly graduated medical students, and Charlotte said absolutely not—I needed someone with experience. Within a day I had an appointment with the manual therapist who works on the Dutch National Ballet Company. I was fixed within a day, and I truly believe had I stayed anywhere else, I would have either been waiting in an emergency room for an entire day, or I would have just suffered through the trip in pain—never mind the 8-hour plan ride back home.
Charlotte saved my vacation!
Charlotte and her husband were on hand whenever we needed them—including when the wifi was briefly on the fritz; they of course fixed it right away.
We've already told Charlotte we will be back next year, and we plan on it. B&B Jordaan truly felt like home, and suffice it to say, it was very difficult for us to leave. The beds were incredibly comfortable; the room was cool, clean, and private; the neighborhood is a family neighborhood with lots of kids, nice antique shops, bakeries, restaurants, and local places—away from the hustle and bustle of the busier Amsterdam neighborhoods, but definitely within walking distance of everything you'd want to see.

Room Tip: The garden room, if you can! It's the best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flossie A
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Basically a great location and decent, quiet rooms but it is not a traditional B&B with common dining or living areas. We had issues with the showers since it is not in a separate stall, but open to the rest of the bathroom and the internet service was not great the first couple of days. Christine was very helpful with sightseeing and restaurant recommendations. Having images of the bathroom on the B&B website would have helped us make a better choice..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
bbjord, Owner at B&B Jordaan, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I am sorry to read that this group of ladies are, beside positive an several issues, also a bit disappointed about their stay with us.

Our website says ‘We offer a Dutch Breakfast with local breads, cheeses, sausages (cold-cuts), jams, orange-juice etc. which will be served in the privacy of your room. This is possible because all rooms are spacious and have a private dining area. So no we do not have additional common areas for dining.

I am sorry to hear that they found the shower ‘an issue’. We chose to build ‘open’ showers 2008/ 09 because we find them pritty, we can keep them very clean and there are no high steps to get under the shower. (They are quite common in Holland.)

The ladies did tell me, after a day or so, that they could not connect to our WiFi in their room, therefore I tested it with my own tablet, which worked fine, so I helped them to adjust the settings of their tablet to go online and then it worked.

My name is Charlotte :),
I am host and owner of B&B Jordaan.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just got back from a 7 night stay at the Bed & Breakfast Jordaan - Charlotte was a wonderful hostess, as was Dick, who replaced her during our first 4 day stint. Both of them were extremely helpful - the rooms which we had on both ends of our trip were bright and cheery! Breakfasts were creative and plentiful. Would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Amsterdam - area is charming, set back from the busier streets, but easy walking access to everywhere - felt extremely safe walking the streets at night. Thanks again, Charlotte and Dick, for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yoli304
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just home from great 4-night stay at the B&BJordaan. Highly recommend it. Our garden view room was larger than most and looked out over blooming forsythia and a charming preschool playground. We appreciated having a table for breakfast and maps, books and computers. Charlotte delivered a bountiful breakfast each morning and also offered sightseeing tips and restaurant recommendations. She graciously provided a breakfast to go the morning we had to leave early for the airport. We generally seek out B&B's when traveling and would rank this one of our best-ever.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple