“Pleasantly Surprised!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Princess

Save Saved
You added Hotel Princess to your Saves list
Hotel Princess
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 80, 1054 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Special Offer
Book direct - best price!
Ranked #316 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This hostel has very poor reviews on here but if you want value for your money in Amsterdam then you'll get it here.

Yes the place needs a good renovation but it more then makes up for it considering how expensive it is to stay in Amsterdam!

I had a good comfortable clean bed, it was quite, a clean shower/toilet everyday, good WiFi and always a warm smile from the staff and especially Mario who went out of his way too help me with my trip!

Also comments about the Tram are ridiculously unjustified, they stop at 12:30 am and go EVERYWHERE in the city so wherever you go it'll be the same and thankfully they aren't that bad anyway!

I more then enjoyed my stay here especially as it cost me £42 for 2 nights for my own room-seriously impossible to beat anywhere else in town.

I would stay here again as I felt very welcomed and safe as a solo female traveller.

Also billy basics of hostels-bring a towel, flip flops and an open mind...you'll have a lot easier time!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We ignored the bad reviews when we booked this place, as Amsterdam hotels are expensive and the price at this place was so enticing. Unfortunately, after our experience, I am pretty sure that all the negative reviews here are 100% true, and here is mine:

We have traveled on a backpacker budget all over the world and we are no stranger to hostels and we surely don't expect the Marriot at these prices, but I can say that this hotel is truly among the worst we've ever seen. It is obvious that whoever manages this hotel doesn't care about cleanliness or safety. There are only a couple good things about this place: cheap price, comfortable beds (newly replaced) and relatively good location. Unfortunately, these things are not nearly enough to make up for this place. We had booked a prepaid room, if we had not paid in advance we would have left.

Staff did their best to help us out: The night manager Manu is very helpful, but doesn't have any control to fix things. The girl working at the desk during the day was also very nice, but again, is not in charge.

The only cleaning they do at this hotel is basically to change the sheets between guests. The photos on their website were clearly taken a very long time ago. We had a room with a broken window taped shut with a rude note from management saying if you tried to open the broken window, the cost would be yours (no apology for the broken window.) The entire hotel is in varying states of disrepair: cracked sink, broken fan, bedside lamp that doesn't turn on, TV works 50% of the time. I almost got stuck in the shared bathroom as the handle of the door is about to fall off and the lock is breaking. Even the disrepair might gave been bearable because of the price if the place were actually clean, but it isn't. There was chewing gum stuck to our headboard. The shared bathrooms are not cleaned very often. It seems like the stairs and hallways are never vacuumed and are just filthy. The carpets in the rooms are old and have not been cleaned in a long time: they are covered in stains.

This place is also misrepresented to the point of dishonestly: their website is full of information that just isn't true. On their website it says complimentary breakfast is included in the rate, however breakfast service apparently stopped in 2013 but they don't inform you of this till you arrive. The lounge/breakfast area advertised is not really a lounge at all and is missing most of the seating and tables. And, towels are not provided in the room (as they say), in fact they charge $4.50 if you want a towel. I went to the flea market and bought a bath mat just so we had a clean place to stand on the floor.

They just replaced all the beds and curtains, so perhaps they are getting ready to do some much needed renovations....?

The only reason to stay here is if you literally cannot afford to stay anywhere else (it's one of the cheapest places in town). If you do stay here, bring your own towels, a pair of indoor shoes and a strong sense of humor, and do not expect anything at all other than a decent bed to sleep in. If you do stay here, don't pay in advance if you can help it and maybe you can salvage some of your money to go elsewhere in case you find it as unbearable as we did.

We will generally put up with a lot to save money, but we would not stay here again, even if we had to pay double or triple the price to stay elsewhere, it was just too dirty, poorly maintained and terribly misrepresented.

Room Tip: See the room first--- quality varies greatly between rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

So I've been on a euro trip for two months now and this has got to be one of the all time lows for a hostel I've had the misfortune of booking in all my travels. The first impression of the staff is polite and helpful, but their ability to help you only goes so far. After my predetermined time was up, I asked a member of the staff if she could point me to the closest hostel, and she had no clue where they were at and said I was on my own. While she was there on the computer looking up stuff on the Internet..really?? The biggest ordeal with this hotel was cleanliness. It's not for the faint hearted since one floor has to share a single bathroom/shower that looks like it's never been cleaned ever. And there is the problem of BED BUGS!! I had bites covering my arms and legs by the second day. Heed this advice and stay clear of this hotel, it's not meant for any princess or human being for that matter

• Stayed February 2014
Shadrinsk, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

1. Это хостел в Амстердаме и этим для многих уже все будет сказано. На самом деле многое зависит когда забронируете и где поселят. Первый раз я забронил заранее за 350 руб. и поселили мя в комнату рядом с ресепшином - вот это было отличное впечатление. (второй раз забронил по факту за 1 день до заезда - 900 руб и поселили на третьем этаже - впечатление много хуже, не ловил ви- фи). 2. Хорошая гостинная с жк тв. 3. Приветливый персонал. Особенно когда в смене девушка. В целом цена/качества - хорошо, при условии бронирования заранее. It is hostel in amsterdam and if you booked your room less then 10€, you have good offer. Good meetings room with TV. Friendly staff.Оцениваю свое первое бронирование (во втором случае не ловил ви- фи и цена была завышена).

1. Комната маленькая. 4 кровати (двухьярусные) и место для двух человек. 2. Далековато (если пешком) до настоящего центра. Есть рядом площадь с множеством кафе, кофешопов и прочим. Но скажем до известного квартала идти не близко. Too small room. On 2 floor don't work wi-fi. At near you can find a lot of bars, coffeshops but it is really too far to red light district.

Room Tip: Бронировать заранее если цена меньше 10€ то норм. If price 10€ or less is it ok. Then you must res...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Really horrible hotel. First of all, just as we arrived we discovered that they are no longer serving breakfast, but they didn't notify us about that. So we paid for 4 nights with breakfast and got no breakfast. On the other hand, the staff was horrible. Very impolite and not really caring about anything. If that's not enough, we got a bunkbed room when we had booked a double, and they didn't change it, plus it was quite dirty. Never coming back to that place. Such a disgusting place for a beautiful city...

Room Tip: Don't even think about staying here
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The horriblest hostel I've ever seen. The smell is insupportable, I had to cover my nose with a towel because I couldn't even breath. No place to put the luggage and no possibility to open the window. The most depressive place in Amsterdam. I won't be back there anymore.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Princess? Share your experiences!