“Promised more than I received” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Styles Amsterdam City

You added Ibis Styles Amsterdam City to your Saves list
Ibis Styles Amsterdam City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade 135, 1074 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
UP TO 30% - EARLY BOOKING
Ranked #199 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Nurtured In London, Born In Brisbane
“Promised more than I received”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I always stay in Oude Pijp when I stay in Amsterdam, but usually at Aribnb places. I booked Ibis Styles this time as traveling with work meant I had to keep accomm costs down.

Positives: area & transport, cost per night, breakfast included, excellent wi-fi, felt safe, lovely views from 4th floor, comfortable bed and good-sized room. Oh, and BBC1 on the tele.

Negatives: lift was broken, and even though I am highly fit, trying to manage my luggage up four flights of a Dutch stair case (very narrow, steep, spiralled & dizziness-inducing) was quite a challenge. I asked for a quiet room on several occasions - when making the booking and before when I checked in (as I'm not a good sleeper, so having as few distractions as possible at night is crucial). The first night was fine but on the second night, reception decided it was a good idea to book in a drunken group of young men on my floor, so from about 3am till 8am all I heard was doors slamming, laughing and shouting. So much for the quiet room! Then, on the last day I had requested a late check out (midday instead of 11am) as I had a work conference call. I was rudely interrupted not once but twice by the cleaning staff banging on the door and demanding that I check out. Even after I told them that I had requested the late check out the day before with reception, they seemingly didn't believe me and told me they knew nothing about it - as though this was my fault/problem.

To note - the rest of the guests were like me - either business people of families who all seemed very civil. I really don't know why a drunken group of young men would decide to stay in this hotel or in this area, which is not really near the main tourist/backpacker areas. The downside of a cheap hotel I guess!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this hotel for three nights over Christmas.

Pluses:
- Front desk staff: always friendly and helpful
- Clean room and facilities
- Great location

Minuses:
- Aggressiveness of cleaning staff: entered and cleaned room even when DND sign was on door
- Thin walls - you can hear everything going on in the halls, at all hours
- Cannabis smoking by other guests, even though this was supposedly banned in the hotel - smell seeps down to elevator shaft and other rooms (my experience at least) - I reported this but the hotel said if someone is smoking in their room, there's nothing they can do...

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We lost count of the long black hairs we found in the room (bathroom floor, bed, carpet, table). The other issue is that I thought 'Do Not Disturb' meant just that not ring the room and ask me if I want the room cleaning (no Im trying to sleep thanks). Stayed here once before but won't be again.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

OK Hotel, the room was small but you could move around and place you luggage. The bathroom had a shower and a bath. The room- temperature was very hot and did not have any setting to lower it. There was a window which I managed to get open using the chair in the room. The room was a bit noisy (second floor at the front) coming from the neighbours taking showers in the middle of the night. But the room was clean and the price was good value for the money.

Room Tip: At the front of the Hotel are also some rooms with a balcony, so I would go for that one!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Nice clean hotel, good bed & breakfast, excellent location, good value for money. The rooms are a bit small this can be a problem with more people & luggage. The tram stop is on walking distance which takes you to the center of Amsterdam. No restaurant in the hotel.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed on the lower ground floor of this hotel which was a terrible place to stay. Our room was at the back of the lower ground floor where people use the space as a smoking area all through the day and night which makes it very noisy! In addition the door leading to that area was constantly left on the latch making our room cold meaning at times we had to put the heating on full blast so we would end up very hot or very cold. This also means that anyone can walk in the back of the hotel. I have hardly slept due to staying in such a horrible room.

The room itself had a comfy bed and was rather small. The shower was nice and strong so you could at least have a good shower.

The breakfast room was tiny and many times it was too busy to fit all the guests so sometimes we had to take breakfast back to our rooms! The breakfast was very basic but good enough.

Unless you are going to Amsterdam for a party experience where not much sleep is required avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't accept a lower ground floor room.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Ibis Styles Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!