“Very poor Accommodation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Truelove Guesthouse

You added Truelove Guesthouse to your Saves list
Truelove Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Prinsenstraat 4, 1015 dc Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #74 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
zodiacmarine
“Very poor Accommodation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Firstly, let me stress that I do not like leaving negative reviews. However, this place really does warrant one.

My partner and I decided to use a private hotel in Amsterdam, as opposed to the large commercial hotel we used in Utrecht the two nights previous (which was very good) to get more of a "local feel" whilst visiting the city. We unfortunately chose the "True Love" Guesthouse.

My partner and I arrived somewhat tired and disgruntled after dragging our bags from Centraal Station to what turned out to be an Antique shop on Prinsenstraat, rather than a Guest House. We were then informed that we must pay cash immediately before having to drag our bags a further 10 minutes walk from the shop. This was our oversight for not reading the website properly. However, our directions from the hotel informed us it was only a 5-7 minute walk from the station (try double that at least)

The fun really began once we entered the property. The room turned out to be what in the UK we would call a bedsit. I could go on forever about the negatives, but my favourites are:

1) There was a collection of old, tired furniture for us to use, which had not been dusted for some time. In fact, if you patted the seat below the window, you could see the plumes of dust appear. I walked in my bare feet during the night to use the toilet and my soles were black the next morning.

2) The wardrobe provided was full of the owners junk.

3) The sheets on the bed, whilst appearing washed were stained and faded. We had two very limp pillows also.

4) As others have stated, the toilet was in fact installed the centre of the room with a shower screen for privacy. Whilst my girlfriend and I are close, we are not close enough to hear each other going "Number 2"!

5) To avoid hearing each other go "Number 2" (See point 4), we attempted to drown out the noise with the TV. However the TV did not work.

6) We were given two small, stained, thread bare towels to last two nights, with no means of hanging them to dry sufficiently.

7) The "neighbours" in the building came and went at all hours of the day and night, which was rather unsettling.

As a seasoned traveler through my occupation, I have stayed in some very bad places. If I had paid pennies for this place, I would still be complaining. However at almost 100 Euro a night, I cant warn people enough to avoid this place.

Amsterdam however, is a fantastic city and almost made up for the very poor accommodation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Herceg-Novi, Montenegro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice and clean room.
Very good location in the herat of Amsterdam.
Everything is close. It is ten minutes walk from Dam square, Westerkerk and Central station. Neighborhood is great.
We stayed two nights and we felt like real locals. Recommand for everyone

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Truelove over a weekend in early October. Our experience at True love was perfect for us. We got into Amsterdam in the late morning and went to the antique shop We waited for awhile at the great coffee shop across the street. The coffee shop called the shopkeeper for us. We had to wait a bit, but got into our room early. We did have to walk about 10 minutes back toward the train station, but were prepared to travel with compact rolling luggage. The room was on a quite side street and just around the corner from one of the great shopping and dining streets in Amsterdam. Close to Jordaan market, shops, dining. The room was huge - not fancy, but perfectly comfortable and quiet. The building is for sale, so don't know if this room will be available for long. This was a perfect spot with a great price!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This accommodation was adequate but not particularly memorable. It was a basement room so it was dark and a little depressing. Decor was somewhat tired, however the bed was very comfy, the room was clean and it was serviced well. The facilities were good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Well I lucked out. Contacted Trulove Guesthouse about a month before my visit and told them how nervous I was visiting a new city by myself. They arranged for me to have a really nice apartment in the Jourdaan District (about 13 minutes away from the main Guesthouse). One winding flight up on a quiet street very near the Prinsengracht.

The apartment was clean and very comfortable which was a slight drawback as that it made hanging around easy and sometimes I had to push myself out the door. Not a bad problem. Since I didn't experience any problems, I had no other contact with management.

Everything worked fine especially the wifi which was important to me. Plenty of hot water and towels and the kitchenette has everything to make large meals if I had chosen to. It really was like having your own home in another city.

To get my bearings at first all I had to do was look for the 'Anne Frank house' which was about a block away. After a while, I learned that the name of the local Tram stop was Westermarkt and that made life very easy indeed. So many trams and buses pass through that I no problem getting around the city. Still Amsterdam is very much a walker's city and I tried and take full advantage of that.

I also guess I was lucky as the weather stayed warm and sunny the whole time. Took tons of photos and only got lost in the city four or five times, but everyone was so nice that it never was a problem.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We met at the main reception house and were greeted by two very friendly members of staff, shook our hands, very welcoming we arrived early, check in wasnt until 2pm but they made our room available and we were in for 1pm we were in another building which was a 5 minute walk away and a very smiley chappie member of staff walked us to this ( i wish I could remember his name). Accommodation was near the train station more or less central or within a short walk to most things. Be warned very steep staircase to rooms but this is the case with most accommodation here and wasnt a problem for us. Room was very spacious free wi fi and TV, very clean and with tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge. The only negative I can put is the privacy of the shower. There were no blinds/curtains and apartments opposite could see you when you got in and out of the shower. Also no door to the room so make sure you share with someone you are very comfortable with lol. Other than that its great and would definately go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were met at the guesthouse by a very nice young man, we knew to expect a short walk to the room as explained in the email, as we were only staying two days the apartment was ideal, not far from the centre, it was also very clean, comfortable and quiet, the no smoking policy was not a problem as it is located near a charming canal and the weather was glorious. Had we been staying longer I would have liked something brighter, but for how long we were there this was not a problem. I would definitely use "truelove" again, and amsterdam is charming.

Room Tip: the basement room in blauwbergwal is very quiet, cosy and convenient but if I was staying for a leng...