Firstly, let me stress that I do not like leaving negative reviews. However, this place really does warrant one.
My partner and I decided to use a private hotel in Amsterdam, as opposed to the large commercial hotel we used in Utrecht the two nights previous (which was very good) to get more of a "local feel" whilst visiting the city. We unfortunately chose the "True Love" Guesthouse.
My partner and I arrived somewhat tired and disgruntled after dragging our bags from Centraal Station to what turned out to be an Antique shop on Prinsenstraat, rather than a Guest House. We were then informed that we must pay cash immediately before having to drag our bags a further 10 minutes walk from the shop. This was our oversight for not reading the website properly. However, our directions from the hotel informed us it was only a 5-7 minute walk from the station (try double that at least)
The fun really began once we entered the property. The room turned out to be what in the UK we would call a bedsit. I could go on forever about the negatives, but my favourites are:
1) There was a collection of old, tired furniture for us to use, which had not been dusted for some time. In fact, if you patted the seat below the window, you could see the plumes of dust appear. I walked in my bare feet during the night to use the toilet and my soles were black the next morning.
2) The wardrobe provided was full of the owners junk.
3) The sheets on the bed, whilst appearing washed were stained and faded. We had two very limp pillows also.
4) As others have stated, the toilet was in fact installed the centre of the room with a shower screen for privacy. Whilst my girlfriend and I are close, we are not close enough to hear each other going "Number 2"!
5) To avoid hearing each other go "Number 2" (See point 4), we attempted to drown out the noise with the TV. However the TV did not work.
6) We were given two small, stained, thread bare towels to last two nights, with no means of hanging them to dry sufficiently.
7) The "neighbours" in the building came and went at all hours of the day and night, which was rather unsettling.
As a seasoned traveler through my occupation, I have stayed in some very bad places. If I had paid pennies for this place, I would still be complaining. However at almost 100 Euro a night, I cant warn people enough to avoid this place.
Amsterdam however, is a fantastic city and almost made up for the very poor accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Truelove Antique and Guesthouse is located in the heart of the historic centre of Amsterdam, called Jordaan. All rooms and apartments have private en-suite bathroom and toilet, fridge, tv and free coffee and tea facilities. Truelove is just 7 minutes walk from the central train station and just minutes walk to Dam Square, the royal palace, Ann Frank House, local out door day markets and all major tourist attractions and night life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld, Hotels.com and HostelBookers so you can book your Truelove Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Truelove Guesthouse Hotel Amsterdam