“State lontani - be aware” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Truelove Guesthouse

You added Truelove Guesthouse to your Saves list
Truelove Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Prinsenstraat 4, 1015 dc Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #102 of 207 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Rome, Italy
“State lontani - be aware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Attenzione state lontani da questa struttura. Appartamento invivibile e pericoloso. Ho contratto un infezione funginea dai divani di pelle molto molto sporchi e ci hanno rubato 250 euro dalla carta di credito, giustificando il gesto come multa per aver fumato.Preciso di NON AVER ASSOLUTAMENTE FUMATO in stanza, e di aver chiesto il permesso allo staff DI PREPARARE LE "SIGARETTE" da fumare in strada. Si sono approfittati di noi e ci hanno DERUBATO senza neanche avvisarci. Non c'è la cucina, lo staff è pessimo e si è rotta la caldaia per due giorni. Tra l altro il tecnico è arrivato senza preavviso mentre dormivamo. Il check in era previsto per le 9ndi mattina ma ci hanno dato la camera per le 6 di pomeriggio. Che schifezza state lontani. Inaccessibile agli anziani ed ai portatori di handicap a causa delle barriere architettoniche.

In the confirmatiom email the staff told us that we will had the check in at 9 o'clock A.M. , but we had the house free for the 6 P.M. every object of the house was really dirty. Nothing works. The "hot water machine", the boiler,at the second day didn't work and we had diffrent cold showers. There was no soap,no room service for the towels change or the cleaning of the house. The bathrooms where really dirty , we had to clean them before use. There is not a kitchen! You can't prepare nothing to eat inside the house. They DIDN't want to give us a receipt, and they told that cash payment was better so we don't know if taxes were paid to the Dutch Government. The thecnical tryed to enter inside the apartments whit the staff while we were sleeping, whitout alert us of the arrive, this is a strong privacy invasion. The leather sofa is very very very dirty and I taked a fungal infection that I still fight. It is a no-smooking apartment, so we asked to the staff if we could prepare our cigarettes inside the apartment, and smooke out; and we did so. They saw us smooking out ,near the bridge. But when I arrive in rome I check my credid card and I see that 250 euro where taken from truelove, and they write me that we had smooked inside the apartment. We were not informed of the money transation and I had to ask a "money movement list " to my bank. We had no smooked nothing inside the house, and nothing was notified at. This people destroy the turism. I went to amsterdam 6 times but this is the last, and the worst. Thank you amsterdam we'll never see again.

Room Tip: Non prenotate assolutamente. Be Aware!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lele92roma

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived to find our apartment had steep steps, and my hubby (stroke survivor) couldn't climb them. The boys from "Truelove" then did a hunt around their books, and small juggle, and came back to us with another apartment that had only three steps down. Perfect! It was on a canal, same price.
It seems they manage a number of apartments around Amsterdam. My sister and her husband stayed in a grand, classical dutch apartment, furnished like an antique shop, while our unit was starkly modern, underfloor heating, uber-cool! My other sister has stayed in different apartments yet again, so I think they manage quite a few.
I would DEFINITELY use their services again, as apartments are much better than hotels: they are cheaper and you can cook for yourself.
(We stayed there in April 2012, but the date drop down doesn't go back that far!)

Room Tip: Check to see if there are stairs... if you have any disabilities: it seems the dutch are so used to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lagos, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in August and I was moved to write my first Tripadvisor review - it was such an extraordinarily bad experience that I hope to warn others off this hotel! Though the location in Jordaans is perfect and the apartment itself was spacious, the cleanliness was average to poor (white towels which had faded to dirty grey, for example), and we had two big problems. The noise (see later) was perhaps bad luck, but the terrible staff attitude is inexcusable.

We were met at the reception (in the shop) by David, a grumpy young man who did not stop complaining about how we were ruining his life by making him wait (we arrived at 10pm; their checkin hours as declared on the booking.com page are until midnight). Then, we discovered that to pay with a card is 10% extra on the price, and when we said we would like to get cash from the ATM - which he had already said he would show us on the way to the apartment - his exact words were "Oh my God, this is killing me!" Truly unbelieveable.

Then, there was the noise: the residents of the neighbouring apartment arrived home at around 4am and put music on at full volume for several hours - the soundproofing is non-existent, and unfortunately we could not tell if the sound was coming from above, or below, or across the terrace, or we would certainly have called the police. As it was, we had three very unpleasant nights; despite the lovely location, I would recommend people avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Marilyn R
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner. We're both in our 20s and really loved the location and privacy of the place. Upon arrival at the antique shop we were taken a street away to our guesthouse by a lovely member of staff (didn't catch his name) who was extremely polite and helpful with all of our questions. He made us feel very welcome. The canal house is very tidy and quirky and as I said is in an ideal location within walking distance to literally everything we did on our stay. We really enjoyed staying at the guesthouse, would stay here again and would definitely recommend it to any of my friends :)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sarah01992
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We loved our stay at Truelove Guesthouse. Our room was in a large brick rowhome right on a canal. The room was the perfect size, with enough room on the three sides of the bed to comfortably walk around and unpack our bags. The ceiling was very high with beautiful molding, and we had a huge window that spanned the whole wall and faced a small courtyard. The bathroom was very clean as well. It was always very quiet, although we did stay here on a weekday. I'm really glad we chose this place. We are both in our 20s, so it was easy to follow the owner (who was very polite and welcoming) the three blocks to our room. Paying upfront in cash is very typical for privately owned B&B/hostels like this one. This place was perfect for us, and I could strongly recommend it for other young couples who are looking for somewhere private, memorable, and inexpensive to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisa m
Leek
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

When we arrived to check in, we were told that the rooms were not ready but we were able to leave our luggage there and come back later to be taken to our room. We were greeted by staff but we felt that he was a little rude and not necessarily welcoming.
When we finally got to the room, we were pleased with what we saw, the room was big and was clean. We had suitable facilities and liked the kwirky character of the room. The room was just off the busy main street, so we were pleased with how close we were to the centre.
If I was going back to Amsterdam again, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends