“cute and clean, but loud with no staff to help you on your visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Truelove Guesthouse

You added Truelove Guesthouse to your Saves list
Truelove Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Prinsenstraat 4, 1015 dc Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #72 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Vancouver, Canada
“cute and clean, but loud with no staff to help you on your visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed in a property a few minutes walk from the little store that you check in at, the guy who checked us in walked us there. We had a little apartment to ourselves with a loft bed accessed by a steep ladder and a bathroom with shower and sink right in the room. It was quite spacious since it was two levels. Very clean, with a comfortable double bed. Also had a fridge.
It kind of felt like we were living in amsterdam and had our own flat. No street noise since it was in the back of the building. Wifi worked well. A big vase full of tulips in the room. Also a tv and dvd player with a small selection of English dvds, we didn't watch them but it was a nice touch.

That being said I disliked not having a reception area to go to and ask questions. We had just arrived in amsterdam and felt lost, we had no way of making phone calls and if we needed directions or advice on where to go, we had to approach someone on the street. And we got some pretty bad advice and some downright rude people when asking for directions! The area is quite residential, it was a bit of a walk to find areas with lots of bars or restaurants close together. We rented bikes starting from the second day so that really helped, I definitely recommend biking everywhere, its what the locals do.

Also the walls are very thin, it sounded like everyone in the building was right in our room. I could hear other guests literally get out of bed, walk to the bathroom, open and close door, sound of tinkling, flushing, blowing nose... everything. And there was a kid who was very loud, one morning at 8 am I swear he was just running up and down the hall jingling a giant ring of keys or something for about 10 minutes. I do think noise is a problem in many of the old hotel buildings in this city tho so you may just have to bring some good earplugs if your a light sleeper like me. My boyfriend had no trouble sleeping in this room.

We moved to an actual hotel the 3rd night and liked it better. I would recommend this place if you want the feel of your own flat in amsterdam and don't require the services of staff or reception.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I booked this for me and my girlfriend for valentines day and it did not disappoint. We checked in through the owner who's based in the antiques shop over the road from the property and got our keys. I'd booked the standard room but we were lucky enough to get upgraded to the large apartment on the top floor. The stairs were a bit of a climb but all stairs are like that in Amsterdam. The location was perfect as was 5 mins from the centre and quiet enough not to get disturbed. Price wise the standard room was great value for money compared to what else was available and I compared the price for the apartment and that was reasonable too. Would definitely recommend and will be going back on my next visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights at the guesthouse. I made arrangements to meet the operator's at their store on Prinsenstraat and pick up the keys and pay cash for my stay-which was their preference as they were reluctant to accept credit cards. We then walked together about 7 minutes to the property which was located canalside on Herengraacht- a fantastic location.

The operator provided suggestions on eating, attractions and make recommendations on where to hire cycles in the area. He was very knowledgable and I appreciated his advice.

The room itself was well appointed with a large double bed, TV, sink, shower and in-room coffee/tea. The toliet is located outside of the room in the hallway but was not shared- it was explained that's simply how these properties were built and for me that wasn't an inconvienience.

I enjoyed the experience and I felt like a local and I felt I got a very authentic Amsterdam experience staying here- I was right in the heart of my favourite part of the city. When you look at the location and the price- it was exceptional value which is rare for Amsterdam.

My only two areas that could be improved- the room was tidy but when I checked in the garbage bin was completely full- very annoying as there isn't daily housekeeping service.

Also, upon check out you must walk/taxi the keys back to the Prinsenstraat location which can be inconvienient if you have luggage to haul and our on a tight schedule. They should arrange a drop-off box at the property to leave the key.

Overall I was very pleased with the property- especially the location and I thought it was very good value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dortmund, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We were lucky to get our own studio directly at the Prinsengracht. The staff was very very nice. It was great to have a place all to ourselves and just by the big window and look at the Gracht. The room was clean, there were some supplies for making coffee and tea, the bed was big and very comfortable. We will definitely return to Amsterdam and to the True Love Guest house!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I presume 'truelove' are a rental management co. as te office was 3 streets away from where we actually stayed.
I'm normally easily pleased but this place was terrible!!
We stayed at number 40. This was supposed to be a delux appartment, i'd hate to see the basic one!!
Not good value for money.
They never asked us open booking if we had any problems climbing stairs or should i say ladder! I kid you not. The bedroom/bed area was a mezzanine floor that we had to climb a ladder to get up to, once up there you couldn't stand up because the ceiling was so low.
The bed sheets were grey (should be white) so it wasn't possible to tell if they were clean, towels were the same.
The entrance lobby and hall leading right upto the room smelt of 'wet dog'!
The en suite was a tiny wet room with a toilet and shower in.
Very noisey from 6:30 in morning as residents must go to work and you can hear everyone come down the stairs then slam the shared front door.
The location was good though!
As i say, i'm normally very easliy pleased but i'd never stay there again!!

Room Tip: dont stay here!!