“Very average” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amstelstraat 17, 1017 DA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #179 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Location great. Visited for valentines day as other half been staying there over years and years.
Rooms so worn off - we had to request to move. Even 2ng room was with hugely stained carpets and dirty walls. Difficult to enjoy holiday whilst massive Stains from god knows what are everywhere.
Staff very helpful, breakfast outstanding and porter remarkable.
Going Amsterdam again very soon, but will think twice before staying at Hampshire. Just not clean enough.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to read we did not meet your expectations about the room. We constantly work on improving our service and standards. We do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us in the future.
The comments have been forwarded to the team.

The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 383 on the third floor. Originally when we arrived we were in a room on the 1 st floor over looking the road & tram. We thought it was going to be a bit noisy so we asked if we could move. The staff were so accommodating. We were shown 2 room and chose 383. Admittedly the view was just across to other nearby buildings but it was so quiet. Air conditioning was very good and the bed really comfortable. The room was very spacious with a big bathroom(we had a bath - some rooms don't).
We requested a few extra things from hotel staff and they were just so incredibly helpful and friendly.
Wi-Fi was excellent.
We paid extra for breakfast as it was not in our room rate.
It was the best breakfast we'd had on our trip.
It is my understanding that none of the rooms in this hotel have views of the canal. The 'HampshireHotel' is attached to the 3 star 'Eden' hotel which faces the canal.
We hired bikes from the hotel for 24 hours. A bit more expensive than at other bike rental shops but they were very good with 3 gears and hand brakes.
Well worth staying here

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.
The comments have been forwarded to the team and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back as our guest!

Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Central location in Amsterdam, just off Rembrandt Square. Rooms are small, but nicely maintained and reasonably well insulated for noise (I was there night of Netherlands-Spain World Cup match and, in my room on the backside of the hotel, didn't hear much of the post-game mayhem from the square).

While generally, I had a good experience at the hotel, there were a couple of issues that keep me from offering a higher rating. 1) In my 5th floor room, water was not very hot and heated water was intermittent during showers. 2) Check in for my group (of 17) seemed needlessly complicated and slow. Instead of having the process fully computerized so that we could use multiple clerks to check us in, we all had to go through one clerk, filling out a single sheet of paper with passport information. 3) Breakfast buffet facilities were not adequate to deal with the number of guests staying at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments about your stay.
We will inform our staff about the points you have mentioned.

Nahariya, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed in the hotel at 16/3-20/3.
At start, everything was just amazing !
But at the second day of the trip, when I come back to my room (18:00 PM), I found out that all my money is gone! 500 euro were missing and stolen by the r-o-o-m s-e-r-v-i-c-e !!! from my personal suitcase!!!
I was helpless, with no money in my wallet, I talked to everybody in this hotel! the manager, the reception people, the room service, and even go to the police station and fill a report!
Nothing happend, and nobody could help me, I was with no money and didn't know what to do untill somebody in my country helped me and sent me some cash. I was in a vecation and it all ruined because this hotel employ people that will touch your own bags and personal stuff!!!!
Be careful.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with innstant.com

Dear guest,

This is not a fair complaint.
It was your own decision to don't use the safe in the room.
No one has access to the room that day, only you.
It is very annoying that this has happened but we have done everything to help you with this.

Kidn regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hampshire Hotel is in a great location. Right off of Rembrandt Square. 15 minute walk to Red Light District. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready so we were able to leave our bags with the concierge. Room was perfect. Very clean bathroom with free toiletries. Lots of space, TV, mini bar. Extra pillows. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to people who are looking for a comfortable, more upscale place to stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you once more for sharing your experiences with us on TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back as our guests in the future!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The hotel is situated in a great location, near shops and restaurants which was great!

The rooms themselves are very specious, and very comfortable. However, I was travelling with friends, and the bathrooms have glass doors which was a little uncomfortable, however this was not a major problem and the hotel was lovely.

Would recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much in taking the time in sharing your experiences with us. thank you for the compliments.

Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Finding a decent but affordable hotel room in Amsterdam is always a battle. There are not enough hotels in the centre of Amsterdam so demand often exceeds supply.

Finding something decent but affordable on Saturday night is virtually impossible. The hotel sector is aware of the fact that everyone wants to get wasted in Amsterdam on a Saturday night, and exploits that desire mercilessly. If you come to Amsterdam for a Saturday night, your only option is to drop your trousers and bend over...

The overall quality of Amsterdam's hotel rooms are poor. Everyone knows it. Everyone expects to put up with crappy, tiny rooms. Hotels that do provide a nice, large room capitalize on that expectation by charging exorbitant amounts. A decent room that would cost $100 in Orlando will set you back something like EUR 450 in Amsterdam. (Yes, Orlando is the standard I am going by. If you don't see the similarity between Disney World and Amsterdam, you haven't been paying attention. And even if you don't believe that Amsterdam has been transformed into a strange disneyesque Holland Land cum Party Central swamped by low-class tourists, the simple truth is that people want to go to Orlando just as much as they want to go to Amsterdam.)

However, it seems to me that the Hampshire Hotel chain has helped things somewhat since it entered the market. It does its best with Amsterdam's poor infrastructure and, every so often, is even willing to reduce its prices to fill the rooms, something Dutch hoteliers never seem willing to do. This means that occasionally -- if you're vigilant -- you can book a stay at this nice chain hotel for the same cost charged by a dreadful 2-star dump down the road. But never on a Saturday of course. Even Hampshire Hotels follows that guideline.

I have to add that I feel sorry for people working in the hotel sector in Amsterdam. Amsterdam attracts a certain kind of visitor...

My room at this hotel was upscale and nice enough. I think I got a special room because it was largish by Amsterdam standards (20 square metres) and had a view of an inner courtyard through two large windows. Coffee maker.

The location of the hotel is excellent. Just off Rembrandtplein, so tram 4 takes you practically to the door.

Downsides: Couldn't get the aircon below 19 degrees so it never cooled the room properly. Couldn't open the windows fully either. Not enough English stations on the TV at all (but I enjoyed the music stations). Like at all Hampshire Hotels, the bed was too soft for my liking. My room was a little frayed around the baseboard and windows.

This hotel as a strict no-smoking policy.

The breakfast was OK but certainly not worth EUR 18.50.

Final word. If you can get a room here at a good price, book immediately. It's a decent hotel in a great location. If you pay full price to stay on a Saturday night, expect to feel a little ripped off.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. We are happy to read that you had a good stay with us and use your comments about the details in the room.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest in the future.

With regards,

The management

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam? Share your experiences!