“Great hotel in a great location.” 4 of 5 stars

Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amstelstraat 17, 1017 DA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #181 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Edinburgh
“Great hotel in a great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here on business during the week for four nights. The hotel has quite a classy feel to it. The Bank I work for has a deal with this hotel so we got upgraded rooms which were very good. The showers lacked water pressure. The rooms were well decorated, everything was there that I would expect. The staff were freindly and helpful.
The location is great, there seemed to be lots to do on the square. As I was on business I didn't do much. Also I didn't eat in any restaurants but I can say there are some very good takeaways near this hotel.
My only complaint is that the double bed is two single beds jammed together. Not a huge problem but my Blackberry fell down the middle which I didn't notice and it took me ages to find it.

As a business traveller I was quite impressed. Place was a good sanctuary to come back to after a hard day's work. Easy to find a takeaway and get a good night's sleep. Wifi works well too which is a must for me.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for this great review!
We hope to welcome you again in our hotel next time!

Thomas Hoogervorst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights, great location right next to Rembrandt Square. Nice restaurant and bar in hotel. Bars and restaurants all around hotel too. We had a decent size room with a canal view, worth the extra money we paid for it. Would stay here again, clean and comfy hotel, a little gem.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!
We look forward to welcome you again next time!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Given the great central location and the cost for the room, I would say this was a good deal. But of course a deal comes with a catch. The rooms are not that large, the bed not the best in the world. A bit of wear and tear evident in fixtures and fittings. Staff were all pleasant. So, not bad. (watch out for rooms on lower floors on the side of the tram - that will be noisy).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when you book. Definitely don't want a room on the road with the tram.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 1, 2013

Thnak you for your comments on this website1
We will use these comments to improve our level of service!
We look forward to welcome you again!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed for a week, for work, great location was able to walk to many near by bars and places to eat. Room was clean, the bed was one of the best for comfort. I requested a room on the top floor away from the road, and it was so peaceful. Bathroom and shower, clean very nice.

• Stayed September 2013
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying in our hotel!
We hope to welcome you again!

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place has not improved, despite its change of name over the years.

The fruit in the buffet was covered in flies. My room had a filthy phone and bedside table. My bathroom wasn't cleaned. I had to ask three times for a TV remote control. The carpet was not vacuumed in my room. The lobby carpet smells foul.

This hotel does not meet the expectation for its price.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments!
We will use these to improve our level of service!
We will start with renovating our rooms next month!

Chappaqua, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Executive summary....the place is a dump. To be fair, I guess that this is two hotels (the Hampshire & the Eden) and people make a big deal of the difference between the two --but who cares? Either way, the place is simply not that great based on my experience. Check-in was a fiasco and late by more than an hour (4PM) and when I finally got the room, it was a dump. It certainly had the basics but the place was filthy and pretty worn out. In particular, the carpet was filthy and smelled pretty bad --especially as it was a bit rainy while we were there. Last, the bathrooms were something you would expect to see out of a Cold War communist prison block. BTW, there is no toilet paper. Instead they have this little plastic box that dispenses tiny sheets of 240-grit sandpaper. If that is not bad enough, this cheap dispenser never stays closed and one has to sit hunched over as, otherwise, the dispenser jabs you in the back.

I try to be fair and balanced in my reviews --so I will have to end this one now as I am hard-pressed to find a single reason to suggest that you stay here. It should be noted that the location is great as it is right on Rembrandtplein and makes a good home base to see Amsterdam. But this is also the very same reason to stay somewhere else as there are many hotels and inns right near there and one doesn't need to settle for this place.

As I write this, I should have given it one star. However, I will still give it two as I think the staff was trying to do the right thing --but the odds were against them.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Go to another hotel --or a park bench. Both would be better,.
Dear guest,

Thank you for your observations and regards to your experiences with our hotel. As we are constantly striving to improve our level of service we value our customers’ opinions and remarks. To ensure us of providing the expected hospitality and accommodations your observations are a vital part of this process and are therefore carefully considered.
We are starting next month with our renovation from the rooms and lobby!
We hope to welcome you again when this is ready!

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Hampshire hotel Rembrandt Square in September.

We arrived using the Hampshire Hotel entrance but ended up in the other side of the building for the Eden Hotel to check in. Check in was swift and staff reasonably friendly.

I think they use the Eden Reception as it's bigger than the Hampshire one.

We were directed back to where we came from for the lifts.

Our room was on the 5th floor, it was large, clean, tidy but very dark (we booked a junior suite). Whilst it had plenty of windows even with the curtains open it was still very dark.

We had tea/coffee making facilities but no milk, we don't think there was powdered milk either, we asked reception but it was late and the guy couldn't find any! We also had a coffee machine but no capsules, really couldn't be bothered to ask for them as well. Even after the maid had been still no milk or capsules for the coffee machine. The fridge didn't open and it looked like it had been locked, it required a little prising open which worked in the end. Beware if you remove anything from the mini bar it will be charged to the room. We were intrigued by the can looking object so took it off to have a look, fortunately I contacted reception to explain!

The bathroom was modern looking, very clean but had glass doors with frosting in the centre, these aren't doors as they don't fully reach the top or bottom of the frame and don't meet in the middle.

The room had aircon which is a bit of plus but you have to use it as the windows are locked.

The bed was extremely comfortable (2 singles joined together).

The shower had virtually no power to it at all!

I can't comment on the restaurant or bar as we didn't use either, we refused to pay the extortionate amount for breakfast, there are enough cafes/restaurant's nearby that serve a reasonable breakfast for €9-€12.

I would say the staff were or were not friendly or helpful but I'm not sure if they have any, we only saw people on reception there didn't appear to be anyone else around at all during our 3 night stay! I did find that at least one of the members of staff on reception to be a bit scruffy and unprofessional!

Location is great, just off the Rembrandt Square with plenty or bars, restaurants and clubs to keep you entertained in the evenings. If you want to venture further it's a 20 minute walk to the Dam square or a short tram ride. The tram stop is about 3 minutes walk away from the hotel (make sure you use the Hampshire entrance or you wont find it as easy).

Overall a nice room, lacks some attention to detail and doesn't warrant the 4 star price tag. Would I stay here again, no but would probably find something around the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your experience with our hotel!
We will use your comments carefully for also other guests!
We look forward to welcome you again!

Thomas Hoogervorst

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam? Share your experiences!