“Still loved it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Still loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Well not the best but really enjoyed it here , top breakfast staff are nice , I would defiantly go again great value for the money , rooms not the best but you get what you pay for , still I had some of the best times here

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had to find another hotel because our original hostel The Flying Pig (awesome!) did not have enough room for our last night in Amsterdam. But this place is disgusting. There was blood on the comforter, the extra twin bed had a hole in the middle and it did not feel safe at all.

Additionally the staff cannot speak a word of English even though they advertise that they can! They did not understand that I needed help getting a Taxi to the airport in the morning. Finally I just took my bags down the street to the plaza to a fancy hotel and they arranged a taxi for me for free at 4am. So alone, I had to walk to ANOTHER hotel.

The location is on a fun square but I highly recommend the Central Station area more.

I am totally used to low budget hostels but this place was terrible. It's been a while since I stayed here and I still get the creeps. Ug.

Room Tip: Specifically ask not to have the downstairs front room. Drunks walk by all night long a foot from yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

GOOD: Spent 5 days here and I really liked it. Inexpensive and right on the corner of Rembrandt with a beautiful canal view. So nice to wake up to that. There are a lot of restaurants and bars when you set foot outside which can make it a little noisy but you can just close the window. Stayed in a room with 4 beds with friends. All single beds, very comfy and the room was cleaned often. Although they cleaned once while we were out which I didn't really care for. The staff was lovely. You are given a key for the front door and the door downstairs. Small tv on the wall with a lot of English speaking channels like MTV.

BAD: wasnt really informed about city tax but I guess i should have known that before. the 9th stair is literally eye level which gives you an idea about the size of stairs. Really scary at night when you are tired or drunk. I wouldnt call it a hotel...not sure why its called that. ALSO BED BUGS. not fun.

Stayed Aug 2013.

Would def go again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just got back from spending just under a week in Amsterdam with my girlfriend. We had room 1 in the Veteran which had a beautiful canal view. I really liked the room and architecture of the building. We had a double bed, chest of draws, sink and a small tv. Perfect for a short stay. It was cold in the morning and sometimes at night but didn't bother us to much. The bathroom is shared and was usually pretty clean just awkward when waiting for people to finish showering when you want to go out. The staircase is very steep and small but I liked it and added a nice quirk to the hostel. Some people may not appreciate it and or struggle getting up and down. It's located in Thorbeckeplein just of Rembrantplein. Great location you can get to most things in Amaterdam by walking as we did. The breakfast is continental and I really liked what they offered us friendly staff and willing to help with anything. It is advertised as a Hotel but it certainly is not. It's a Hostel. We could smell weed regularly not sure if it was the coffee shop next door or the other residents in the hostel.. I think it was the latter. Overall good place to crash for a short break, don't book if you are expecting "Hotel" standards. I will certainly return if I go back to Amaterdam again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Booked Hotel Veteran for me and my boyfriend, first off it is more of a hostel! We enjoyed it and liked our room which overlooked the canal, location is very central and in a really nice area, Rembrandt can get very noisy at night and is full of pubs, clubs and restaurants but we seemed to sleep through it! Breakfast was basic continental but all we wanted. Bad points are there is a shared bathroom, it was clean the majority of the time but just annoying when you have to wait for others to finish before you can shower. The hotel smelt strongly of weed, not sure if this was the coffee shop next door or our neighbours being naughty! The stairs are very steep which didn't bother us but might others. Overall we had a good stay here and would definitely stay here again if we ever come back to Amsterdam.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Dangerous stairs!
Nobody came around to clean the room or change the sheets/towels for all the 3 nights we stayed in this Hostel (it is not an Hotel).
Lovely view on the canal and really cool Location nearby everything.
Perfect for first timer in Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Regarding the reviews i read in advance i was a bit scared what to expect, but my arriving at the hotel my bad feeling proved to be wrong. I could check in my room at 10 a.m even tough checking in was at 2 p.m, the room was tidy, nice and clean (no duvet and cover tough, just a sheet and blankets), and had a great view at the gracht. i however i was in the first room, which was great because i didn't have to climb up the very narrow and steep stairs that could be very dangerous even when sober, so watch out party people. The shared bathroom was ok, but the toilet and the shower were in the same room, so especially when you have a shower in the morning the floor is wet and you should bring flipflops if you mind showering on a relatively dirty floor. The shower is ok in the afternoon tough. also when i wanted to use the bathroom, it was always free, and there was a sink in our room so you only have to go there to the toilet or take a shower. As we booked the hotel 2 weeks before the trip, it was by far the cheapest offer we got and we don't complain about not having our own bathroom because of that, because if you compare to other amsterdam hotels or even hostels it was a great deal. If you are a light sleeper (which I am) you should bring ear plugs, it is very noisy and when someone climbs the staircase it sounds like they are in your room. I recommend wax ear plugs (which you can buy at any amsterdam drug store) as they were fine for me. Breakfast was included and really exceeded my expectations, a plain continental breakfast but good toastbread and coffee (and i am really picky usually).
Oh but apparently the room of other people that stayed there at the same time wasn't clean, but they didn't go into detail. Ours was fine, and I've got a high standard as I am from Switzerland.
Oh and for couples: i travelled with my friend, the veteran is maybe not for couples as you can REALLY hear everything ;)

Room Tip: We had room number 2
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Veteran? Share your experiences!