“Meet the IDFA” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 180 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“Meet the IDFA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I had perfect understanding of what I`ll have for this money. This place was perfect for my trip to Amsterdam Documentary Film Festival. Family, who owns the Hostel was very open to me and helped me in anything.

Smell of Coffee shop followed me in any place of the Hostel, even when I moved to the side of the river channel (because there wi-fi worked much better, than on other side). I hate it, but this is Amsterdam and I couldn`t do anything to get rid of it.

This is not a place for a rest, mostly for young peoples and backpackers. But the location is brilliant!

Room Tip: Ask receptionist to show you all available rooms before choosing the right one
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

The location of this hostel is very central: right near Rembrandt Square and on one of the main canals. Given that this is a square with many bars, it also means there can be streetnoise throughout the night. It's a loud but safe area.
Coming in can be a bit of a climb, with typical old-fashioned Dutch staircases (narrow and steep). The rooms are small but clean and with proper facilities. Bathrooms can be a little brutal late in the morning, but they are cleaned daily.
On the whole, it's not luxurious, nor good for light sleepers. But at this location and at this price, what can you expect? It's good value overall and I'd recommend it for young backpackers.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Typical house in Amsterdam - according to my Dutch partner. Great location, lovely building. Yes, the room is small, but cosy and comfortable. Yes, the stairs are a bit challening, but we rather found it interesting and funny than annoying. Yes, it is next to a club, but this hostel is in the CENTRE, if you want a quite place, go far from the city centre.
The staff is lovely, very friendly, very helpful, could speak English. Breakfast was simply bu fresh, cold-cuts, cheese, jams, peanut butter, butter, fresh bread, toasties, few Dutch toasties, hard-boiled egg, fresh milk and ornage juice and continuous refill with freshly made tea and coffee.
The only negative part is that, thre is only 1 bathroom for around 5 rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor was nice and warm, we could leave the window open, so we also could enjoy the fre...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Perfect location for people going out drinking smoking and need to stumble home but other than that its laughable really, the size of the room you couldnt swing a cat in, the bathroom was disgusting, dirty razors, hair dirty mop and bucket and its a safe bet that those items are still there, we had to wear carrier bags on our feet. the bathroom didnt get cleaned out once in the 4 days we were there (and its shared). The breakfast is 1 euro crackers and cold hard eggs etc and shot of either tea or coffee depending which one they decide to bring you.
Im not picky, i expected it to be rough im 23, but i was pretty shocked. I slept good because i was wasted but if thats not why your there then dont stay there. There are much better hostels for better money for example 'Hotel My Home' was good and friendly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My friend and I just got back from the Veteran Hotel this weekend. It was recommended by a friend who stayed there a few weeks earlier.
I did become a little worried after reading some reviews (after I had booked) that this may not be a clean or safe place.
However, we were very pleased with what the Veteran had to offer. The location was great, right in the center of Amsterdam, walking distance to everything- coffee shops, shopping, Red Light, museums etc. For the price we paid we had our own private room(double bed), tv, and sink in the room for the price of many of the local hostels are charging(for a 10-12 person room). The service was great, we were able to get maps, directions and advice for all the sightseeing we wanted to do. Breakfast was also nice, simple but more than I actually had expected. Fresh yoghurt and granola, boiled eggs, toast, tea and coffee.
I think the term "Hotel" is a little misleading, this is definitely more of a hostel with private rooms. Our room was clean with fresh linen and towels, the shower was always clean as well. We found the stairs quite comical as tiny and steep as they were- however, they may not be good for someone older or disabled.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Kortrijk, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I have no words to describe how disgusting is this hotel. I somehow could not remember the name of the hotel so writing my review so late. The hotel has a website. Don't go by the pictures you see in the website. I bet you can't find a worse hotel that this. The claustrophobic rooms are unique about this hotel.

If you trust my reviews then just don't go there. I went there with two of my friends. My friend booked this hotel by mistake I would say.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Upon arriving at reception, was greeted with an awful smell emanating from the common/breakfast room of the hostel. As I was traveling with 3 other people, I acted like a big girl and smiled through the check-in process. When we entered the room, I lost the smiley face and started freaking out, almost left; definitely should have.

The room was gross and old with graffiti all over the walls, cigarette stains on comforters and smelling like pot from the head shop next door. We were on the first level and our windows looked out on Rembrandt Square. Upon getting back to the room and going to sleep the first night, I literally thought someone was going to break into the room and kill me in my sleep. The sounds coming from the square were loud and crazy - people screaming, glass breaking and even people sitting on our steps all night.

The music was quite loud all night the second night, but I had enough alcohol in me to pass out (on purpose). I swore I would never stay in a hostel again after this experience. This is the most disgusting place I have ever stayed; do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Veteran? Share your experiences!