“Don't book this hotel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Thorbecke Hotel

You added Thorbecke Hotel to your Saves list
Thorbecke Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Thorbeckeplein 3, 1017 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #337 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Don't book this hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

In July I booked a room at this hotel for a weekend in October. They charged me immediately with a deposit in order to guarantee the reservation. Originally I had told them, when making the reservation, that I was planning on arriving at 2 PM. Since my expected arrival time later on changed, I wanted to inform the hotel of this, so I wrote them an email one week before my arrival to let them know. Two days later they send me an email where they tell me that my credit card details are invalid. I find this strange, but I still send them my credit card details via email. The day after, they send me an email telling me that my booking has been cancelled. This was three days before my arrival in Amsterdam. I got highly frustrated and stressed about this, since finding another hotel in such a short notice is not easy! I have a suspition that the hotel had a problem with overbooking and that that's the reason why they decided to cancel my reservation at the last minute. But at least they should have been professional enough to admit this and let me know about the problem way earlier. I will probably never get my deposit returned either. Please take my advice and stay away from this hotel!

Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Beersheba, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went to this Hotel, only because it was the only one available in the dates we visited, and also because the cost was not too high. (The hotels in the center is really pricy..)
I have to say It was really reasonable Hotel, the Breakfast was ordinary, a little bit noisy due to the fact is on the square and door to door to a few Pub’s.
Easy access by transportation from airport, and really short walking to all city sites.
In the evenings\weekend the square is full of young people, really nice atmosphere
If you are looking for a romantic weekend this is not the Hotel for you. But If you just looking for a place to crush at night during Amsterdam city exploring I think It is more than enough. (But not for people with sleeping problems)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

It is easy to be critical of anywhere..only experience provides the ability to read between the lines. This was my 5th visit to Amsterdam over the years and my 5th different accommodation. The best by far was the Prinz Hendrik opposite the Centraal and the worst was a hostel near Leidseplein Square.
The Thorbecke provides no more or less than its' description in the travelogues.
I stayed here with my son for 4 nights. It is absolutely perfectly placed in the Centre of the city, within 30 minutes stroll from the Museum quarter to the South and the Centraal in the North. There is also a tram stop across Rembrandtplein Square which can whisk you there in 10 minutes for 3.5 Euros....
The Hotel itself is about 200 years old, so it has a vertical disposition and if you are on the top floor, you must negotiate several very steep flights of stairs, but fortunately the breakfast room is on the first floor. The breakfast itself is exactly what you may expect in any budget hotel...bread/toast with sliced ham and cheese...jams and marmalades, fruit juice etc. so don't expect an English breakfast; you are not in England.
I sleep like a log, as does my son, so the local nightclubs did not bother us at all...
The electrical outlets do require an adult approach, but they all worked, as did adaptors. The tv had multiple channels including(to my surprise) BBC1 and BBC2 for those , like myself, whose command of Dutch is non-existent.
There is a superb Indonesian restaurant on the corner, below the Hotel -one of the best in the City and a very good Irish bar (try the soup) across the Square.
We paid the equivalent of £100 each for the 3 nights, so no complaints there - I indulged the extra Euros on fine chocolate which I would have spent on another star rating...I left the Hotel without complaint of any description.

Room Tip: Room 23 is highest from the street and overlooks a very pretty courtyard
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel was so disgusting that any reputable on-line hotel booking company should not have it in their books if it wants customers to continue booking hotels through it. Suffice it to say that we moved out of the hotel offering the same rate with better facilities and room. It was dirty - using the word dirty to describe the hotel is actually an insult to dirt. The bedsheets were dirty, curtains dirty everything was just disgusting. The room which was supposed to occupy two people was so cramp there was not enough room to swing a cat yet alone 2 people. Please do not waster your money on this so called hotel. Avoid it like a plague

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

By far the worst place I have ever been in , we did even stay walked straight out
Fake pics and description
Nightclub under hotel

Could wreck your holiday

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Please please don't stay here it would not be good value if it was free of charge dangerous electrics unsafe windows. No safe, it smells it's dirty.we left and went to the nh Schiller hotel round the corner same price but amazing

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Thorbecke Hotel? Share your experiences!