“Great Place Great Staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Durty Nelly's Inn
Warmoesstraat 117, 1012 JA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #52 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Great Place Great Staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am a regular visitor to Amsterdam and Nelly's never disappoints.
The staff are all friendly Elaine(??) was particularly lovely and whenever I go in I always feel as if I am treated as a local and that my custom is genuinely appreciated.

I use Nelly's as my "base camp" when visiting the Dam and although I have never stayed there, I can thoroughly recommend Nelly's Pub for a decent pint and a cracking atmosphere. Just waiting now for my next visit !!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Naples, Campania, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stopped in here for a few drinks after a day of walking around. Nice atmosphere though a little noisy due to the rugby. If you are not a sports fan I would avoid when there is a game on.
Pretty good service overall though one barman was a bit funny when my boyfriend said "can I have a pint of Guinness and a packet of crisps" and had to repeat it about three times until prompted to say please. Not sure this was really necessary, I don't believe pub etiquette requires a 'please' when you order a drink. I've worked I'm the service industry myself so I understand what it can be like but my boyfriend wasn't being rude.
You have to pay 20 cents for the bathroom which was the main thing we didn't like about the place. We are used to paying for public toilets, even in London you have to pay in some places. But paying in a bar takes the biscuit. I would not spend the whole night in here having to pay everytime. I'd rather spend the extra on beer and go to the bathroom hassle free. My bf tried to pay the attendant with small change only to be told it wasn't accepted anymore. Slightly ridiculous...if he hadn't have had more change he couldn't have gone. Reason enough to leave right there.
Nevertheless we enjoyed a couple of hours in here. Great location.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
dejimoAmsterdam, Manager at Durty Nelly's Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Hi,Glad to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your visit to Nellys.I think the 'please'issue was probably a miscommunication.We do try to steer people to good manners[which I believe are important in all interactions]with a bit of humour.Regarding the toilet payment which we do on weekends I accept that some of our customers will not like it but we think we offer clean and safe facilities and that as we're priced up to a euro cheaper for our drinks than other large bars it's best not to raise our prices and instead have the weekend charge.I understand this isn't common in the rest of Europe but you'll find this charge in bars,department stores,McDonalds etc in the Netherlands.They do alot of things differently here,mostly positive I think,;-),thanks Jim
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with some friends for a wee reunion, location was perfect. The room was simple but had everything we needed, staff were nice too and there's a good atmosphere. Not gonna lie, breakfast wasn't what I hoped for but a free brekkie in a hostel never is gona be! Would stay again :) good for a trip away with friends!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you ,we hope to see you for reunion 2015,cheers Jim
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The location is excellent about 5 minutes walking distance from Central Station. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, they helped us a lot! The rooms are pretty good as well, they were clean and decent for a hostel. The pub on the ground floor is a good meeting point, the drinks are great and the atmosphere is always good. Overall, I would definitely stay here again, a very good hostel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have a good WiFi connection.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
dejimoAmsterdam, Manager at Durty Nelly's Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Cheers Wael,Thanks for taking the time to post this review.Hope to see you again soon,Jim
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Internet doesn't work in some rooms and the rooms are too small. Faucet broke down, it dush water.I think its price is a little bit high. Faucet broke down, it dush water. But very good location and nice staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Staff was very friendly and easy to talk to. Free wifi and what ever food you want at any time of the day. Had full Irish breakfast everyday with no complaints. Located seconds from the centre with lots of night life on the door step. No smoking in the bar too!

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Jay,cheers for the review,it's appreciated,Jim
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Durty Nellys is a hostel located just above an irish bar.
Afraid i wouldnt be able to sleep, but that didnt seem to be a problem. Note that i didnt stay there during a weekend, that might be a different story.
Still, hostels with a good location and good quality is always hard to find. Therefore, Durty Nellys is just like any other city hostel. Basic comfort, a bit overpriced, just what you expect from a hostel actually. As it is located above a bar, the hostel itself is rather dull. All is to do in the pub. Main attraction is actually the location, right in the red light district, surrounded by coffeeshops and all is in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Durty Nelly's Inn? Share your experiences!