“Very basic hostel, to many drugs” 2 of 5 stars

Annemarie Hotel
Save Saved
You added Annemarie Hotel to your Saves list
Annemarie Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Willem Brouwstraat 14, 1071 LJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #331 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago, Illinois
“Very basic hostel, to many drugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

While the staff and owners here seemed to be doing their best to provide a decent stay, they failed. First of all, I'll give the owners credit for trying to keep drugs out of the hostel, so far as telling people to leave if they were caught smoking inside and frequently telling people "This is a hostel, not a coffee shop". I definitely appreciate this and understand that the main problem were the idiot druggies who couldn't handle being un-stoned for 5 minutes out of the day. However, it is hard to sleep when the guy across from you is smoking hashish at 3 in the morning and not being able to have any staff respond to it.

The location of the hostel is good, being next to several of the museums and near a tram line, and I got a good price for a dorm room so it was a decent deal, but it was somewhat shabby and rundown. Breakfast was your standard hostel breakfast of toast and a couple eggs.

Overall, great staff, shabby building and beds, but all brought down by the inability to control drug use within the rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Good location (close to airport bus, walking distance to rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum) but we payed 50€ per night each for a 12 bed dorm and it was the worst night sleep I've had in a hostel. The kitchen is quite poor (only a microwave and a kettle) and breakfast is just bread and spreads. There are definitely better hostels with cheaper rates in the same area! The staff are really friendly and helpful, but for me it's just too expensive for what you get.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This hostel will rip you off. They have made a habit of taking bookings and making it imopssible for your to actually check in. If you book online they will charge you anyway, despite claiming they have cancelled your booking, or need money to process the check in. DO NOT BOOK IN!

The man behind the desk distorts the bookings. He takes them online, when you arrive is so rude, threatening and unsafe that you leave, or claims the booking can't be processed, or something, and then when you leave he will charge the full amount anyway.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Good Points
The location was decent as it was right by a lot of the main museums on the edge of the city centre. There was also a supermarket within walking distance. There was free internet access, although sadly it was very slow (but the thought counts).

Bad Points

The hygene was questionable. The bathrooms were generally dirty, smelly and not looked after. On the listing it said there would be secure lockers/storage space for your values. This was not the case. I was forced to take out my luggage on a daily basis due to not wishing to leave valuables unattended in a communal dorm. Staff would/could not hang onto items behind the counter.

A 'continental breakfast' was included on the price - although I am not an expert, I wouldn't say a few cheap sliced loaves and a pot of jam constitute a snack let alone a buffet (a crafty way of adding a few extra quid onto the price). If I had known all of these factors there would be no way I would have stayed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hostel in Amsterdam was really nice. I stayed with 3 friends and I believe we stayed in a room with 6-7 bunk beds for 10-14 beds total. We stayed on the ground floor which worked out well. Our room had a lot of natural light coming from the porch area with a translucent sliding door. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to open the sliding door, but through the full kitchen (all appliances; fridge, oven, double-sink) there was a back patio that we were allowed to hang out in.

The staff was nice, prompt and helped us as quickly as possible and was available 24/7. They had wi-fi that was free, I believe, and several desktops that you could use. Free "breakfast" which was just bread, jam, and peanut butter, but good drink choices for such a cheap stay and without extra charge.

The only negative thing I would say would be the bathrooms. There's only one per floor and with the number of folks staying there, I had to be pretty strategic to get into a bathroom to shower when it was most convenient for me, but not a HUGE hassle. Just had to keep that in mind when we left as a group some mornings.

The location is pretty good. It's on the outskirts of Amsterdam, but 50 yards from a tram-stop which got us to the train station as we left Amsterdam in probably about 15-20 minutes in the very early morning. There's a small strip of park that my friends and I played Frisbee in that's just past that tram-stop and a very large park just a 10 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the bathrooms if possible. Have to be quick and sneaky!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is a nice building, situated right at the tip of the amazing Museum Pleine, a massive square along which the majority of Amsterdam's museums all sit, including the amazing and recently redone Rijks museum. I also found easy access to Leidsepleine and all the night-life there, right on the other side of Museumpleine, which is a really beautiful walk in and of itself..

The accommodations are nice, modest but for a modest price. They are clean, and also offer free light breakfast and coffee to all visitors.

There is a nice garden in the back as well. This place seems especially good for museumgoers. Between Museumpleiene and Leidsepleine, a wealath of day and night attractions are minutes away on foot.

I also appreciated being outside of the congestion of the center. Great location great access.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I spent six days at this hostel. Its cheaper than many other hostels. The place seemed clean enough. It is true that there is is not enough forks and spoons in the kitchen. The downstairs bathroom is tiny. The location is good with a supermarket two minutes walk.
However, most of the staff were nice enough. But, I gave my computer to a member of the team for safe keeping. I misplaced the receipt that the guy gave to me,( I later found it in my bag). Ten minutes before I was about to take the airport bus, I requested my computer. The member of staff implied that I didn't have a computer, laughed at me for not knowing the brand of computer , made me stressed that I misspelt the password. I realised that there are ways of dealing with guests as I have worked in hotels for years and I remained calm. Thankfully, I had uploaded a large photo of myself on the screen saver and after I had entered the right password, I was able to prove my ownership and left.
I would stay here again, if I needed to. I wouldn't let someone with poor social skills influence my choice of hostel

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor, the shower room is very small.
Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Annemarie Hotel? Share your experiences!