“Such poor service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Annemarie Hotel

You added Annemarie Hotel to your Saves list
Annemarie Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Willem Brouwstraat 14, 1071 LJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #333 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Such poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I booked accomodation through their website, entered my card details, etc. Then someone left a garbled message on my phone with the phrase 'you put money on credit card' used many times.
I emailed the hostel twice to ask if there was a problem with my booking and received no reply. I called them and the guy that answered said he couldn't find my reservation. I asked if I could re-book over the phone and he said that it was best to use the website. Clearly not.
I booked elsewhere and thought no more about it until I returned from my trip to find that they'd billed me for not showing up. Unbelievable.
I called, I emailed, I posted a letter of complaint. Three months later and I still have no response and no refund.
Amsterdam is full of lovely places to stay, but this sure wasn't one of them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The location is very good, across the street from an opera house and felt very safe. Museumplein is minutes away as well as a supermarket. The staff weren't overly friendly but polite enough. Everything was pretty clean and the beds were quite good. We were in a room with 12 beds, some guests decided to come in at 4AM and wake up the entire building but such is the hostel experience. My one complaint would be that the toilet and shower "cubicle" were very small. The shower on the ground floor is essentially a kitchen cupboard, with barely any space to hang a towel. For the price I think we could have found somewhere better, but next time I think we'll be spending the extra £ for a budget hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for three nights with three friends. The hostel's location was probably it's best attribute, it's right next to the Museumplein and a large grocery store and is in a quiet neighborhood. However, the hostel was quite dirty and cramped. The showers were a joke (one per floor) shared between at least 10-15 people. A recommendation: do not book the 10 person room on the ground floor, as it is right next to the common area which stays loud for much of the night. I had no issues with the staff, as other reviewers did.

Room Tip: Would recommend a private room.
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

we had a horrible stay... the manager over-books the hotel - that's why he cancelled some rooms in order to give us the places we had booked 2 months in advance. NEVER, EVER GO to this HOSTEL!
p.s.: There is dirt everywhere and for that amount one can find a decent place to stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed in a private 2 bed room with a friend, which had a sink and a bunk bed. It was quiet and clean. Each floor of the hostel had a couple of private shower stalls and bathroom stall. It was located on a quiet street a few blocks away from a supermarket and museumplein. The breakfast is a typical hostel breakfast: tea, coffee, and bread with nutella, butter, or jam. Great for young people on a budget who require minimal amenities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed with a couple of friends at Hostel Annemarie in Amsterdam, in May 2013. I was charged after I left (from my card), for the full price of an extra night for 10 people, even though we had already paid everything on cash upon arrival. Clearly surprised and alarmed, I wrote the hostel an email to clarify this situation, that was an obvious mistake, and try to get the money back. To my surprise, they said they didn't charge me anything (although I have proof of my bank that shows otherwise), that they didn't want to see my proof, and that I should contact my bank. This is called STEALING!!!! Plus, we had a really bad stay, because the staff were not nice at all, and the bedroom was cold and uncomfortable. DON'T GO THERE!!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Arrived 10pm, allegedly my credit card didn’t work (despite it working everywhere else) so they had cancelled the booking. No prior email or contact was made to tell me this so we spent the next two hours hunting for another hostel with space.

No advice or help was offered, and they weren’t even able to tell me if they had space for the next day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Annemarie Hotel? Share your experiences!