“the best way to do amsterdam!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam
You added The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam to your Saves list
Nieuwe Kerkstraat 153, 1018 VL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #49 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
travelguru420
“the best way to do amsterdam!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

From the moment my friends and I arrived we were greeted with warmth and hospitality. Claudia is not just a great hostess, she provides the highest quality of service that anyone could ask for. From the homemade breakfast every morning to the superb cleanliness of the room, every bit of our stay was beyond expectation. I would recommend The Flying Pancake to my friends and family because it took my stay and experience in Amsterdam from good to amazing!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dana Point, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Authentic experience! This place has it all! You can't go wrong with Dutch hospitality.

The owner, Claudia, treated me like I was apart of her own family. As if I were one of her sons. I got sick while in Brussels, and upon arriving in Amsterdam, I was already feeling the effects. However, Cluadia, made sure I was getting the proper care and treatment while I was under her watch. I can't thank her enough for making my stay managable while I was under the weather. With any other circumstances, I would have been lost, sick, unfortable and down right miserable. Thank You Claudia!

To finish up, the accomadations where impeccable! We stayed in the Cooks Suit and If you're a fan of decor, you will love this room! Very open, multi level, jungle theme bathroom; that makes you feel as if you're on a remote island. TV with American channels, books on the culture, as well as current affair magazines for you women out there! To finish things off, the continental breakfast, which is dropped off every morning at your door like clockwork, is delicious!

5 STARS all the way! Bring a spouse, a girlfriend, or come on your honeymoon. You will have no worries at The Flying Pancake!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

I was having a terrible day of travel as I arrived in Amsterdam, but the Flying Pancake made it all better. Claudia, the owner, was gone on holiday but she chose a perfect person to fill in for her. Jarwo Gibson is a nice young man who was eager to help us weary travellers get settled in and get us out into Amsterdam to enjoy the city.

Jarwo fixed the internet, brought us a snack, loaned us a laptop, gave us restaurant tips, pointed us in the right direction to the bike rental shop, and brings us the best breakfast everyday. He completely changed my opinion of this city is about 5 minutes. I had a bad 1st experience, but Jarwo made it all better.

I hope Claudia reads this review and rewards him, he truly does deserve it.

Onto the suite, it is actually an apartment. The neighborhood is quiet and 10 minutes to everything via bike. The iPod dock, DVDs, and coffee maker are great. Being able to open the windows and having no street noise seems like a rarity here. This city really bustles.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

I arranged a trip to Amsterdam as a surprise for my partner's birthday, and had heard lots of good things about "The Flying Pancake". Luckily the week I wanted was free, and we stayed in the captain suite. From the moment we arrived Claudia was the perfect host, we felt welcome as though we were friends of the family. The suite itself has been wonderfully decorated, it basically covers the whole floor of the house and has it's own entrance via the street.

The suite consists of one long room, with a lovely big comfy bed at one end, and a breakfast table, sofa and kitchen area at the other. Small details like; the wireless internet and ipod charger made travelling around Amsterdam so much easier as we had an ipod touch with us, and could use google maps, and of course trip advisor.

The bathroom was also beautifully decorated and the steam room was a lovely way to relax after a long days walking. We had such a wonderful time, we will definately be back for another visit in the future.

Many thanks Claudia.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

This is one of; if not the most beautiful places I have ever stayed. My wife and I felt like we were on a second honeymoon. We stayed in the cook suite, which is very romantic and cozy. It truly felt like you were a local, climbing up the tight, steep staircase to your loft studio apartment. It has its own separate entrance which is very handy. Normally we don't care too much for B+B's, but this was just perfect. Claudia (the hostess) was always nearby and easy to reach if we needed anything, and she is extremely nice and helpful. It was great being able to reach outside our door and grab the breakfast basket, and eat at our leisure.

One of my favorite features of the suite was all the windows. If it got stuffy, you could open, or close any combination of the wiondows to create the perfect cross breeze. I especially liked the two little "hidden" windows. The lighting was also easy to control to create the perfect mood.

One awesome thing that happened while we were there was "the storm of the century" on the night of May 25th (2009). We were out enjoying an evening canal cruise with St. Nicolaas Boat Club (highly recommended) when the storm started rolling in. We had to hurry to get back to the F.P. As soon as we did the bottom fell out. This was one of the most intense storms I have ever witnessed and we get some wild ones back here in North Carolina. The lightning was amazing, and it rained, hailed and the winds blew like a hurricane. Google it, there's pictures of the lightning and damage that occurred all across the Netherlands. We really passed some initiation into a special club by riding out this storm up in that little loft! Great memory!

To summarize, this is a great value for what you get. You truly feel like a local staying here. The neighborhood is pleasant and quiet, and handy to the tram. You will not regret staying here!

Tip: there's a great little shop down the street at the corner of Nieuwe Prinsegracht and Roeterstraat that sells good sandwiches and good beer ,etc. at good prices.

Also, don't try to walk all the way from Centraal station, it's a hike. We only had one "full" backpack each, but it was just a little farther than we cared to walk. When you come out of C.S. go left and grab tram #9 to Plantage Kerklaan instead, easy!

Thanks again Claudia!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Best for honeymoon couples! The room is well designed (lots of white, beam woods,fireplace, wall mounted espresso machine, steam room), balancing modern aesthetics and coziness superbly. The host gives heaps of privacy but is always good to help with any questions or bookings. Located away from the touristy bits so it's quieter :) but you can still take 10-15 mins walk to it. Love it to bits, best place i've stayed so far..will go back there again. Wish there's such lodging in all the cities i go to.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

I cannot think of a better and more comfortable place to stay in Amsterdam; quiet neighourhood pretty close to the center and major attractions. Everything has been perfect (fireplace, flowers, drinks...); the bad thing is that you cannot stay there forever. Thanks Claudia for being such a great hostess

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam? Share your experiences!