“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam
Ranked #50 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Turin, Italy
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Me and my husband stayed in the captain suite last weekend and at the end we didn’t want to leave. Everything was better than we expected. We even had a steambath in the room! Breakfast (freshly made orange juice, cake and other yummy stuff )was left outside our room every morning in a wicker basket, so we always had our privacy. Claudia, the owner, was very helpful in answering all our questions about what to see and how to move in Amsterdam.
The Flying pancake is located in a quiet neighborhood very near the zoo and the Hermitage museum. From there you can reach almost every place of interest on foot. The house is a typical Amsterdam house, so be aware of the steep stairs if you are planning to stay there. If you are searching for a peaceful, lovely place with great service and location this is the place for you. I truly recommend it

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FlyingPancake, Owner at The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you very much. It was e pleasure to have you as our guests!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Advance, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Captain's and Cook's quarters are spacious with some good amenities,but with inadequate (squeaky) bedding. We arrived with a week's luggage to face three flights of narrow, steep steps, impossible to negotiate with our suitcases. Also the owner was not on property, and the (young, beautiful, athletic) caretaker was not attuned to our luggage problem, nor was she able to familiarize us with attractions/restaurants in the area. Though we had reserved with a credit card, checkout requirements were cash only, leaving us scrambling to ATMs. None of this was covered on the website. Ironically, we saw amongst our struggles in the stairwell TripAdvisor awards for the past three years. We could only assume that young people with little luggage made those reviews.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I am very sorry to read that your experience at our B&B did not meet your expectations.
I always offer our guests to help them with their luggage. Reading your review points out to me that in the few weeks per year that I am not there myself, I will specifically instruct my staff to do so as well.

With regard to the payment requirements, these are written in the reservation details that I have e-mailed you in September, weeks before your arrival. A written reminder is printed and kept in the suite, together with other useful information. Besides this, there are 3 different ATM's within 50 meters of our house.

The good reviews you mention above, were not only written by young guests, but also by senior guests, who really enjoyed their stay. Over the years we have hosted many happy senior guests.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed in the Cooks Room for 3 days in Oct, there was a lot of stairs but it's worth it when you get to the top. It rained most of the time and our suite was a fabulous sanctuary, we especially loved the steam room! It was a real treat getting breakfast delivered in a wicker basket every day and Claudia could not have been more helpful, she even posted back some fondue forks we could not take back on our hand luggage, thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. It is very nice to read that our steam room is so much appreciated, as well as the breakfast basket. I am happy that I could be of help with regard to the forks that you bought!
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

There is no need to add any photos of the room as the pictures on the official website are completely accurate.
this B&B is just simply amazing.it is close to tram and metro and in the beautiful Plantage area where the wonderful Artis Zoo is located.
the room itself is very high-end with two TV sets,a CD and DVD player with movies, a small kitchen equipped with espresso machine and in my opinion the best is the working fireplace and the big steam shower.staying in during our trip was tempting indeed.
the owner Claudia is extremely nice and helpful and delivers a wonderful breakfast each morning-no pancakes though:)

Go and try for yourself

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. The fireplace is quite often used by our guests, especially in fall and winter. I am happy to read that you enjoyed it as well.
In The Netherlands we have pancakes at dinner time...but reading your review I will look into it, if I can serve them for breakfast as well.
Hope to see you and your friends again at The Flying Pancake!
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Flying Pancake and had a great stay. I booked the FP as part of a birthday weekend away for myself and my Wife.

In case you are wondering where exactly the FP is located, it is a 5 minute walk from the Skinny Bridge and a 2 minute walk from Artis Zoo. To get to the FP from the airport we took the train which costs €3.90 a ticket and then took a tram from the Central Station. The tram took about 10 minutes and drops you at the end of the road. If you feel up to the walk, it will take about 20 minutes to walk dependent on how heavy your bags are and how many sights you take in along the way.

We stayed in the Captains Suite and Claudia was home to meet us on our arrival. I had a few e-mails backward and forwards with Claudia and always receive a reply with the information that I requested. I think I'm right in saying that Claudia works away from home, so at times responses are not immediate but were always waiting for me when I got up in the morning, which for me was more than acceptable.

The room itself was very large and would meet the requirement of even the most critical of American guests, who I know expect large rooms when travelling. There are lots of facilities in the room including Bang and Olufsen TV's and IPod docking stations, along with an amazing bathroom with steam room shower.

I have read some reviews that complain about location and the fact that you are not located close by to anything. All I would say to that, is get a good tour book, lonely planet do an excellent pocket guide which includes a map and that way you will see how close you are located to some amazing parts and sights of Amsterdam. Myself and my wife walked everywhere and never found location an issue. You can be by the harbour side with it's science museums within a 10 minute walk, the Red Light district was a 15 minute walk and other areas around the southern canal belt were even closer. As mentioned earlier, the Skinny Bridge is a 5 minute walk away, located on the same road as the FP.

We loved it and would highly recommend the FP. Book it, if you want a nice comfortable place to stay in a quiet street in an amazing city.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FlyingPancake, Owner at The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind review!
Living in the ground floor apartment of The Flying Pancake ourselves, I totally agree with your comments about our location in the city centre. We are so nearby many great museums, restaurants, shops and other places of interest, which can easily be reached on foot in minutes.
However our street is nice and quiet, you do not hear the pubs, the trams and the traffic!
Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Flying Pancake was a great place to stay for a weekend break in Amsterdam. We had the Cook suite up at the top of the house; over 2 floors which was beautiful. The room had loads of facilities. The little kitchen had a great coffee maker; there was a range of teas. We got a list to choose our breakfast which was delivered to outside our door each morning and then we enjoyed a relaxed meal in our suite. TV, great music selection, selection of complementary drinks. Very convenient for tram and an easy walk in to the Niewemarkt and the Western Canal ring.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at the Flying Pancake during our stay in Amsterdam. Claudia was very accommodating and gave good directions from the central station as well as good restaurant information. Our room was very well equipped with everything we needed. We had 24 hour coffee or tea available and the room was divided into a sleeping area, sitting area and breakfast area. The shower and bathroom area was outstanding. The steam shower is a do not miss. The music system is very good and the selections of CDs is good. The room was very clean with lots of room to hang things up and places for our suitcases. The beds were comfortable, however, they creak when you roll over. The breakfast is delivered right out side your door with your order, which you fill out the night before. The Pancake is a little out of the main stream of things, but not a bad walk. Also a tram stop is just around the corner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Flying Pancake B&B Amsterdam? Share your experiences!