“Karel & The Collector, Amsterdam's best kept secret!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Collector Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Collector Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added The Collector Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
De Lairessestraat 46 hs, 1071PB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #19 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
toronto
“Karel & The Collector, Amsterdam's best kept secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife and I recently stayed with Karel while on our honeymoon in Europe. What more can I say then, if you go to Amsterdam then you have to stay with Karel. Not only is his B&B beautiful inside and out, but Karel himself is a wonderful person. Great location and close to everything, as well as large rooms with comfortable beds. I could go on and on, but after three weeks in Europe and 10 hotels, The Collector ranks at the top of our list. We will be back to Amsterdam for sure, which includes staying with Karel. Thank you for everything Karel!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Spokane, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We stayed with Karel for three nights in late April. What a great B & B. It is clean, roomy, quiet, and friendly. The location is very convenient and easy to get to from the airport by one bus (no changes). The trolley stops within 50 yards of the front door and will take you quickly where ever you want to go. However, it is close enough to walk every where in the city. We were in Amsterdam for Queens Day which is not to be missed. The immediate area has a great local feel with good restaurants and bars. We would highly recommend The Collector.

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

The Collector B&B was a major factor in how much we enjoyed Amsterdam. The rooms are comfortable, with the Front "Clock" Room being quite large. We stayed I think 4 nights, then had to leave for one night, then came back for one more night. We had only planned on staying in Amsterdam 4-5 days, but my girlfriend, the artist had to stay longer. Unfortunately the remaining nights we wanted were already booked, except one. Karol, the owner, who is amazingly sweet and gracious, let us leave our bags for the night we couldn't stay, and welcomed us back the next morning for breakfast, (even though we had not stayed the night before, Shhhhh!!). Speaking of Breakfast, the kitchen is adorable, full of kitchy kitchen paraphenalia, and stocked with delicious foods. Fresh eggs (he's got chickens!!), coffee, juices, all your favorite Euro condiments, fruits, and my personal favorites Dutch Pancakes, ready to be heated. Makes mornings so easy. No worries about finding breakfast after you're already out an about. We had the large front room, which is spacious enough to spread out and feel like you live there, with a lounge chair, small table and chairs, huge bed, and a little balcony overlooking the street (perfect for you smokers too). The rooms and whole building are kept immaculate, and we found we had anything we needed with a simple ask. Free wireless too. A comp. with printer downstairs. The neighborhood around it is lovely. Very pretty and outside of town. This might be great for some, maybe not others. For the younger, partying types, it might be a little far from the center. For us, a couple in our late 30's / early 40's, we found it perfect. Not too far to the nightlife (or day), but really quiet, with a sense that you are maybe living there, not visiting. There are 3-4 Good Restraunts within 2-3 blocks in any direction, one being a great bar/cafe with food. Don't remember the name, but you'll see it every time you come and go, because it is at the entrance to Vondel Park, which we used as the nicest, and quickest way to get into town. We loved how we got to start our day traveling through the park (usually by bicycle), and then ending our day/night walking/riding through the park again. It's a magical park. You'll see what I mean. We felt the Collector Hotel was a major part in why we enjoyed our stay, always just as excited to come Home, as we were to go out. In fact we have talked about going back, with 2 other couples. We would just take all 3 rooms and have the place to ourselves. It would feel like renting a home there, but having someone to clean and give recommendations. Enjoy Amsterdam!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My wife and I spent seven night at this B&B in April 2009.
We really enjoyed our stay and the hospitality extended to us by Karel.
It is a fantastic location and if you happen to stay on a weekend, make sure to attend the Sunday morning concert at the nearby Concertgebouw and take in the guided tour. A real treat.
N and J

Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I read nice reviews about the Collector in Tripadvisor and decided to stay there during my trip to Amsterdam in April. I'm glad that I've made a right decision!

My mom and I stayed at the Collector for 3 days in the front room (with alarm clock collection). There is a little balcony outside the room where we enjoyed fresh air while sipping a cup of tea. The room is very clean and big! So is a bathroom. After a long day, we enjoyed hot water with good pressure. A bed and pillows are so comfortable that I don't want to get up in the morning..lol.

A lovely kitchen is one of the highlights at the Collector. It's open for you 24 hrs. Not only did we cook for our breakfast, but we also made our owned lunch for our trip to Keukenhof on the second day. If you are hungry in the middle of the night, you can get some fruits, bread, yogurt, etc. in the kitchen =P

There is a computer with internet access on the ground floor. I could contact my friends and family and update news. Oh, forgot to tell that I could watch UEFA Champion league match "live" in my room..this is awesome!

Karel is a wonderful host. He provided us with useful information about where to go in Amsterdam, where to eat, etc. We enjoyed taking pictures of his collections and listening to their stories from Karel. There are a lot of brochures about Amsterdam available on the ground floor and a little library with books about the Netherlands in the kitchen.

The Collector is in a perfect location. Famous Van Goh and Rijks Museums are just 5-10 minutes walk. In addition, you can walk to a daily market, enjoying local atmosphere and nice goods! Although it is abit far from Central Station, a tram no.16 direct to & from the station stops right in front of the Collector. Last but not least, it is very convenient to come to the Collector from the airport. It took us about half an hour to get there by bus no. 197.

I think I should stop here..my review is getting abit too long and looks like an essay..lol I hope my review is useful for everyone who is looking for a nice place to stay in Amsterdam. Highly recommend "the Collector"!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Faultless. Karel is a perfect host and has a well stocked kitchen, which miraculously never runs out of the things you like. His chickens provide eggs to complete a delicious Breakfast. Well positioned with spotlessly clean rooms and delightful and unusual collections.

If you intend to stay in Amsterdam stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Collector when we were visiting the Low Countries. We liked Karel's no-fuss approach -- especially being able to have breakfast whenever we wanted to. The room was the largest one we stayed in and was full of interesting things to look at as well as a comfortable bed. The free wi-fi worked like a charm.

The location was very convenient to the museums that we wanted to visit. We got last minute tickets to a concert at the Concertgebouw which is right around the corner. Karel recommended a couple of neighborhood restaurants when we said we wanted to eat like real people, not just tourists. I have already recommended it to a friend who is thinking about visitng.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Collector Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!