“Charming rooms and staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Collector Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Collector Bed & Breakfast
You added The Collector Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
De Lairessestraat 46 hs, 1071PB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #28 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Breda, The Netherlands
“Charming rooms and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

At the door we were greeted by Kees, a charming man, who gave us a tour through the B&B. Everywhere I looked I saw the cutest collections, clogs and other details which Kees told us all about. The room itself was very spacious, well maintained, clean and so was the bathroom. The next morning there was a lot to choose from for our breakfast, such as: pancakes, croissants, eggs, yoghurt and some dutch things, like: eierkoeken en peperkoek. After breakfast we went in to town. There were many busses and trams we could take from across the street. We stayed out until 2 am (on a Tuesday) and even at that time we could still get back to The Collector by public transport. The neighberhood itself felt safe (even for 2 girls to walk in after midnight). So I would definately reccommend everyone to come and stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Very pleasant stay in this quiet place very near the center, and all important museums.
Room very specious, nice breakfast and always drinks and food available in the fridge.
Did stay for 3 days, and recommend it to all people I know......

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at The Collector for 8 nights in April arriving after a 24 hour flight. After asking Karel if it would be ok to make a cup of tea his reply was "Of course, this is your home" If I was running a B & B I would model it on Karel's attitude. Nothing was too much trouble. He booked museum tickets online and advised us on what to see and what not to see. Our room was at the back, large with a very comfortable mattress (new). The kitchen was well stocked and food was replaced before it went stale. Being able to make our own breakfast when we felt like it was very convenient. I really enjoyed his pancakes and wonderful fruit bread and would look forward to breakfast to see what else was on offer. You could also leave a note if you required something that wasn't there. Also, we took advantage of the nearby supermarket to make simple dinners. It was so easy after a long day sightseeing to return home and relax with a wine and cook up something simple. Running into other guests in the breakfast room was always a bonus. The location was convenient with the museums within walking distance. We wanted to see the tulips in the fields and the bus stop was just near the front door. We also used the tram to go into the city and back to save our legs. However, much of Amserdam can to covered on foot. If all this wasn't enough Karel even did our washing for us without any charge! (twice) We really enjoyed Amsterdam and staying at this B & B made it feel like a holiday. Thank you Karel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook a peaceful garden and are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

stayed in april 2012, a short taxi ride from the train station, perfect location, a short walk to the big museums and supermarket, enjoyed the tapas restaurant and the italian resturant nearby, karel and his friend were excellent hosts, the fridge is stocked for use all day, not just for breakfast, karel will pick up extras if you have requests, he scrounged up some stamps for us to save us a trip to the post office, the guest computer was great for blogging, the tram is super close by and getting around the city and day trips out of the city was super user friendly, there are some bicycles you can rent for the day from karel, the kitchen has lots of equipment to cook and prepare food, a gas stove (and fire extinguisher nearby), the bed was soooo comfy, i loved amsterdam and this bed and breakfast was a big part of that

Room Tip: book well well well in advance to get a room, the word is out and he gets booked fast
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at The Collector for two nights at the end of a cruise.  I cannot think of a better place to stay in Amsterdam.  It is in a convenient location easily accessible to the tram, the Vondelpark, and the Museums.  The B&B has interesting collections to peruse.  Our room was very large and comfortable after the small rooms on a cruise ship.  The balcony and view from the back of the house was very peaceful after a bustling day around Amsterdam. The breakfast food was very good.  The other visitors were fun to have around in the breakfast room.  However, the best selling point of our visit was Kees.  Karel, the owner, was on holiday while we visited Amsterdam, but we didn't miss him.  He has the best alternate host in Kees.  He did a special favor for us while visiting which saved us hours during our visit.  I also saw him prepare directions to various places for other visitors in the Collector with fine details.  He is very knowledgeable of the area.  However, most of all,  Kees was a delight to speak with.  Should we come back to Amsterdam, the Collector will be the place we stay.  Thanks again Kees!

Room Tip: All the rooms at the Collector we viewed were large, airy, and clean!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I went back to Amsterdam from 27 April to 7 May for Queen's Day and to see the tulips. My timing was very good for the tulips as they were in full perfection at the time of my visit. Where to stay is never a difficult decision for me. This was my third time staying at "The Collector" and if there isn't a room available when I want to go, I will change the date of my visit to fit the availability of a room. Karel, the host and owner is always available for information about Amsterdam and the area and he has become a nice friend and I'm always happy to see him. He has furnished the rooms with new mattresses which are quite comfortable even though the older mattresses were just fine. This shows how well he keeps his lodgings up for guests. Each morning at breakfast there were wonderful folks to talk to and plenty of whatever you wanted to eat. He saw to it that I never ran out of peanut butter. Something this American enjoys at breakfast. Some mornings there were fresh eggs from the chickens housed in a small shed in his garden. The breakfast is self-service, fixed from a plentiful bounty, making the time of getting up left to your own descretion. I love being near the best Museums and the wonderful Vondelpark. it is also only a 20 minute walk to the Rembrandtplein where I like to hang out. There is the 16 tram that can get you there in 10 minutes, but the walk is the way to see many terrific things. I would suggest that you book your room as soon as you can as the rooms fill up with repeat visitors. I can hardly wait to visit again. This fall is sounding good to me so I had better make my mind up soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Best place to stay in Amsterdam, decor was amazing and interesting and facilities were brilliant. Excellent value for money and although the owner was away, we were looked after very well (even with a rather noisy 2 year old). The location is second to none, in a safe part of Amsterdam close to the museums and really easy to navigate to and from other main attractions. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Collector Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!