“Fantastic stay in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Collector Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Collector Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added The Collector Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
De Lairessestraat 46 hs, 1071PB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #21 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Home
“Fantastic stay in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at The Collector for two nights at the end of a cruise.  I cannot think of a better place to stay in Amsterdam.  It is in a convenient location easily accessible to the tram, the Vondelpark, and the Museums.  The B&B has interesting collections to peruse.  Our room was very large and comfortable after the small rooms on a cruise ship.  The balcony and view from the back of the house was very peaceful after a bustling day around Amsterdam. The breakfast food was very good.  The other visitors were fun to have around in the breakfast room.  However, the best selling point of our visit was Kees.  Karel, the owner, was on holiday while we visited Amsterdam, but we didn't miss him.  He has the best alternate host in Kees.  He did a special favor for us while visiting which saved us hours during our visit.  I also saw him prepare directions to various places for other visitors in the Collector with fine details.  He is very knowledgeable of the area.  However, most of all,  Kees was a delight to speak with.  Should we come back to Amsterdam, the Collector will be the place we stay.  Thanks again Kees!

Room Tip: All the rooms at the Collector we viewed were large, airy, and clean!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I went back to Amsterdam from 27 April to 7 May for Queen's Day and to see the tulips. My timing was very good for the tulips as they were in full perfection at the time of my visit. Where to stay is never a difficult decision for me. This was my third time staying at "The Collector" and if there isn't a room available when I want to go, I will change the date of my visit to fit the availability of a room. Karel, the host and owner is always available for information about Amsterdam and the area and he has become a nice friend and I'm always happy to see him. He has furnished the rooms with new mattresses which are quite comfortable even though the older mattresses were just fine. This shows how well he keeps his lodgings up for guests. Each morning at breakfast there were wonderful folks to talk to and plenty of whatever you wanted to eat. He saw to it that I never ran out of peanut butter. Something this American enjoys at breakfast. Some mornings there were fresh eggs from the chickens housed in a small shed in his garden. The breakfast is self-service, fixed from a plentiful bounty, making the time of getting up left to your own descretion. I love being near the best Museums and the wonderful Vondelpark. it is also only a 20 minute walk to the Rembrandtplein where I like to hang out. There is the 16 tram that can get you there in 10 minutes, but the walk is the way to see many terrific things. I would suggest that you book your room as soon as you can as the rooms fill up with repeat visitors. I can hardly wait to visit again. This fall is sounding good to me so I had better make my mind up soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Best place to stay in Amsterdam, decor was amazing and interesting and facilities were brilliant. Excellent value for money and although the owner was away, we were looked after very well (even with a rather noisy 2 year old). The location is second to none, in a safe part of Amsterdam close to the museums and really easy to navigate to and from other main attractions. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I chose The Collector based on the reviews here and was delighted with our stay. Karel and his assistant were wonderful and helpful. The B&B was very centrally located (take Connexxion bus 197 from the airport and you're dropped off 50 meters from the B & B; tram #16 stops right outside, connecting you to the city, and it's a less than 10 minute walk to the museums on Museumplein), and despite its central location, very quiet. The kitchen is stocked with every possible breakfast option - coffee, tea, juice, milk, cereal, several types of cheese, bread, meats, yogurts, pancakes, eggs (from Karel's own chickens!) fruit and vegetables - and the self-cook option is fabulous (no having to get up to make a specific serving time range - breakfast at 10:30 if you want!) Karel provided all sorts of tips for visiting the city, places to eat, and things to do.

The B & B features clean, spacious rooms (with balcony!), large bathrooms and showers with ample hot water and high water pressure (a sometimes rare commodity in Europe.) The rooms also feature in-room safes, plenty of space to unpack, television and high speed wi-fi. We slept soundly in a king-sized bed on what must be a new mattress, and the lovely balcony made returning to the B & B to relax and read a very appealing option after a long day of sightseeing. And the collections Karel has assembled are both lovely and interesting - he is incredibly well travelled and has a real talent for decorations and display. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would make it a point to recommend it to friends and family who journey to Amsterdam as well as stay there again.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We booked The Collector from a recommendation and were certainly not disappointed. It was very comfortable and homely with flowers in our room. Our room was located at the front with our own balcony. The bathroom was very nice and clean. Clean towels were left for us every day. We enjoyed our breakfasts,cereals, eggs, pancakes, cheese, meat and bread which we could help ourselves to at what time we wanted. It is very handy for the bus 197 in and out of the airport, as well as no 16 tram into Central Station, although this is within within walking distance if you wanted. It also is very handy for the Concergetbouw the Rijskmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum on the Museum Plein all about a 5 min walk. The Collector is definitely a great place to stay and we would certainly book a room on our next trip to Amsterdam. Karel the owner is very kind and helpful, I happened to mention I was going to visit my cousins in Harrlem. Karel remembered this and he left me a note out at breakfast that morning informing me of a train crash. He gave me the instructions on which tram to catch to Sloterdyke and then see bus or train from there. This was very kind of him and greatly appreciated.

I

Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed for one night with my daughter. The owner Karel was excellent to communicate with. We had a lovely clean, warm and comfortable room at the back of the house. Although we were only in Amsterdam for just over 24 hrs Karel was very helpful, answering all our questions with regards to public transport etc. I would certainly recommend the Collector to friends and family, and would stay again. If you want to eat in a restaurant that is nearby, the pizzeria that is only a few 100 metres away was extremely good quality. Thank you again Karel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The location is perfect - just a five minute walk from museum square, and a variety of public transportation options. The place is bright, well-decorated and so charming. The owner has thought of all the little details that make a house feel like a home. And his collection of crystal and antiques is inspired - really gives a unique look to the place and is almost like staying in your own cozy little museum. I stayed there on my recent trip to Amsterdam and I plan to book for any future trips I take. It is truly the best option for a vacation in the city. It just made the whole trip more comfortable, and it was both more convenient and more intimate than staying at a hotel. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Collector Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!