“More than excellent :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Between Art and Kitsch B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Between Art and Kitsch B&B
Ranked #77 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
haifa
“More than excellent :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

I and my mother stayed at the B&B between september 16 to september 21. And it was very very nice.

We had the "small" room, but it was very spacious with a very nice bathroom and a lovely decorations.

Irene, who runs the place was helpfull and a very sweet woman. The breakfast was excellent, it included everything you wanted, yogurts, good bread, cheese, meat and so on.

Irene also have two cats, one of them kitch likes to visit the guests, and is very haapy to be invited to their rooms.

Ohh and most important thing is the location, it was great! you don't really need a transportation, only if you're lazy or tired. It is very central.

Thanks to this B&B we enjoyed even more in Amsterdam.

• Liked — the cosyness
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

My Mother and I spent two weeks at this bed and breakfast. We were lucky enough to have the spacious baroque room which can easily sleep three people. Facing the canal, it has its own shower/toilet, mini kitchen with fridge, tv and eating area. The common area of the b&b has a kitchen area with fridge, mini stove, microwave, dishwasher, sink. There are two other rooms on the same floor. The owner and her husband live on the floor below. The room came with an air conditioner and supplemental heater if needed.

This b&b was good value for the money. The place needed a few repairs (e.g. wobbly doorknobs, burnt out light bulbs), but it was kept immaculately clean and everyone was quiet and respectful. We and Irene, the owner, took a little while to warm up to each other, but she was always very helpful and liked to ensure that we were happy with what was provided for breakfast. There were a few times where we had to come back to the b&b in the middle of the day and she did not mind. Irene also had no problem receiving our lost luggage for us.

Bread, Buns, cereals, crackers, spreads, fruits, veggies, eggs, cheese, juice, milk, tea and coffee are provided for breakfast and are also actually available all the time. You can cook eggs on the mini stove in the common kitchen (but no cooking allowed in the rooms). Supplies for making tea and coffee are always available in the rooms. Do not be afraid to ask for something specific as Irene is happy to deliver.

The b&b is at the top of four flights of stairs. Apparently this is common in Amsterdam, but would not work if you had any kind of difficulty with stairs.

Irene and Ebo have a Jack Russell terrier named Ruysdael and two very adorable cats, SweetheArt and Kitsch. The animals are not allowed in the rooms unless invited by guests. Ruysdael snapped at me a few times when I pet him, so I would stay away from him, especially children. He is not a vicious dog and did not actually bite me, I just tried to pet him in areas beyond his 'comfort zone.' Luckily he is very devoted to Irene and stays with her most of the time so you will hardly see him. SweetheArt is an aloof cat but Kitsch loooooves attention. She spent a lot of time in our room with us and we appreciated her presence. If you have pets and enjoy them being around, the cats do a lot to make the place feel like a home away from home. However, if you have pet allergies, I would look to stay somewhere else.

There is smoking in the building, but smoking is not permitted in the rooms. Guests who smoke usually do so by an open window in the common area. There are times when you can smell smoke after someone has been smoking, so if you are very sensitive to cigarettes, I would not recommend this place.

The neighbourhood is great! Close to the Rijks and Van Gogh museums there is a tram line and a grocery store a few blocks away and lots of restaurants. Although we were not out too much at night, we felt very safe when we were.

The only other caution I would offer on this place is that if you are extremely chemically sensitive, you will probably be bothered by this b&b. As mentioned above, it is kept immaculately clean, but Irene does use traditional scented cleansers.

Overall Between Art and Kitsch is good value for the money. You get a lot more room than at similar hotels/b&b's in this price range and are guaranteed a safe and quiet stay.

• Liked — Size
  • Disliked — Second Hand Smoke
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cornwall, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

Between Art & Kitsch is a wonderful unique B&B just a few minutes' walk from the Rijksmuseum. Irene who runs the B&B is friendly, helpful and happy to answer any questions or help you plan your stay. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable, the breakfast options are wide and varied, and Irene's cats are lovely! Highly recommended.

• Liked — Large, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Irene smokes
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I travel a lot on business to various countries and stay in hotels, my first holiday for a long time was going to be spent at Amsterdam and I could not have asked for a better "HOME" than Between Art and Kitsch B&B. Being on a holiday and living in a home away from home is a fantastic feeling. I brought in 2008 in style in Amsterdam and living here was a huge bonus. Irene is a very sweet and professional hostess. An outstanding room, comfortable bed, evenly temperature controlled and a very good wholesome breaskfast. Irene made me feel at home and I thank her for the fantastic 5 days I spent at her home. The place is just next to the museum and fashion street and restaurants and markets are just a stone's throw away. What more could a holiday goer ask for! I will come back here with my wife when I get married...there is also a room that looks very romantic and I would love to live there. Please ignore all the negative feedback on this place...Mikesh Eppaturi

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

I became a little disapointed of my stay at this bed and breakfast.
The room was clean and the house very good located in the city but overall I didn`t felt statisfied with my visit. First of all, the housekeeper Irene (which is a lovely person) she do smoke inside which makes your clothes stink. And there are cats in the house so don`t be allergic of pets if you thinking of staying there. The internet doesn`t always work but there is a computer you can borrow. The breakfast is very poor. The last morning we didn`t even got any bread. There are a lot of sugar bread and cookies but no fresh fuit or good müsli. We actually went to the supermarket and bought us some own breakfast, you have your own fridge in the room. We never got new towels, we always have to take new one by ourself. And notice that you have to pay 5% extra in tourist tax what we haven`t counted with. So to summary, I will not recomend this place.

• Liked — The good location
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

We've just come back from 3 nights at this lovely, welcoming and comfortable B&B. Right in the middle of a delightful villagey neighbourhood (lots of good small cafes, bars and restaurants within 5 minutes walk) so you feel as though you're living in the real Amsterdam, rather than being yet another tourist on a conveyor belt. But still 5 minutes walk to the Rijksmuseum and Vondel Park, so it's really easy to get around. There are trams very close, but we walked everywhere and felt we got to know the city well. The Albert Cuypstraat market's just round the corner too, another bit of real Amsterdam local life.

Irene's great and makes you feel completely at home - and having a kitchen and fridge at your disposal (including coffee maker and kettle and oven) makes the feeling of homeliness even greater. We loved the kittens and the kindness, the comfort and the kitsch. This isn't posh 5-star luxury but something much more appealing and special - individual, quirky, kindly , excellent value and fun. Much more memorable than some chain hotel !

• Liked — central, comfortable, friendly and good value
  • Disliked — lots of stairs !
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

The B&B was in a cracking location - minutes walk from museums and just a little further into central Amsterdam. It is on a tram and bus route and the boats are at the bottom of the road. The room itself was very clean and homely and Irene made us feel very welcome and was very accomodating. She gave us tips on using the public transport and travelling around safely etc. i would recommend this B&B to any of my friends going to Amsterdam (although less mobile people may struggle with the amount of stairs to climb)

A great find and well worth checking out

• Liked — location/cleanliness/friendly staff
  • Disliked — The endless stairs...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Between Art and Kitsch B&B? Share your experiences!