“Dank u wel, Between Art and Kitsch!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Between Art and Kitsch B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Between Art and Kitsch B&B
You added Between Art and Kitsch B&B to your Saves list
Ruysdaelkade 75-2, 1072AL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (De Pijp)   |
Ranked #114 of 322 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Dank u wel, Between Art and Kitsch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently spent several days traveling around Europe and stayed three nights at this charming B&B. Yes, there are a lot of stairs, but if you're relatively fit (read: not 800 lbs) and able bodied, it's not a big deal at all. Irene is the most amazing host. She made us feel right at home, showed us around the place and welcomed us to the fully stocked kitchen, and even helped us plan out our day trips. The room was just the right size for me and my boyfriend. The shower and toilet are in the same room, but there's a curtain so nothing actually gets wet. No, there weren't 800 thread count satin sheets, but the bed was very big and comfortable and we slept very well. If you want to pay 300 euro a night for someone to pick up your towels and put candies on your pillow, look elsewhere. If you want to feel at home in Amsterdam in a clean and comfortable space in a great location for a bargain price with a fantastic host, stay at Between Art and Kitsch!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well this place certainly lived up to expectations. Full marks for location, cleanliness, decor and comfort. Irene makes you feel immediately at home. She is delightfully friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was compact but spotless and functional and if I could have taken the tiles home with me... :) The kitchen was well stocked with everything you could need to make a satisfying breakfast. My only real complaint is that the wifi signal on the top floor was extremely weak and tended to drop out regularly. This would be easily fixed with a wifi range extender.
The location suited me perfectly. It's a 5 minute walk to the Museumplein, and a tip for future visitors in the high season - I tended to arrive at the galleries around 10 - 10:30 in the morning and the queues and crowds were minimal. After 3 or so hours in the museums I'd come out to find the queues had grown to painful lengths.
The local neighbourhood, De Pijp, was exactly what I needed. It had a great range of cafes, restaurants and shops, and the balance was far more locals than tourists. Perfect if you prefer to avoid the hustlers and stoned gap-years down around Centraal and the red light district. An easy tram ride away if that's your thing. The local Albert Cuyp street market is handy if unremarkable. My pick of the local eateries are: Quinto (recommended by Irene), Thai Deum, and Moe's for falafel and kebabs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Between Art and Kitsch in July 2013 and it was absolutely amazing. The host, Irene, was very welcoming and made us feel like we were home. She is also very helpful pointing out places we can visit as it was the first time we visited Amsterdam. The room and bathroom is very clean and the kitchen and fridge well-stocked. Irene was one of the most thoughtful host I've ever met and I will recommend this B&B to my friends when they visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

If you want good location, nice room, authentic Dutch and a friendly host, this is for you.

Me and my Fiance stayed there for 5 days and will definatley stay again. Irene was very warm and helpful and pointed us to good places to visit. We walked all over Amsterdam from here and its location is almost perfect.

Thanks Irene,
James & Charlotte (London)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed here in the wintertime. The room we had all the way upstairs was spacious but the bedding was really sub-par for a B&B. The bedding was old and not warm at all (more like staying in someone's iffy old bed in the basement). The bathroom had the shower and toilet all in one little room so everything got wet. I loved the breakfast- you have to make it yourself but there are drinks, eggs, bread, cheeses and spreads so plenty to eat, but nothing fancy. Overall the place was fine since we were out all day, but it was not conducive to romance or great relaxation- just the basics. Also the worst part was that it was very very smoky. All our clothes reaked of cigarette smoke - gross.
Now the neighborhood is really great- two steps from the market and it was great not staying in what may seem like "the center" from the map but actually is NOT the center of the great places to go in the city. There is a place to rent bikes right down the street which we kept for a couple days to bike around (definitely do this- so much fun!) Being along the canal was beautiful and you got to see "real Dutch people" go about their daily business. There was a tram that went directly to our neighborhood from the train station.
So, if you're OK with basics and only care about location, this place is fine. If you expect a little extra comfort and clean, warm bedding, this isn't the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Me, my sister and my mother stayed at Irene's place around 6 nights and we were extremely pleased with everything. The design of the rooms is adorable and Irene as a host is warm, caring and incredibly friendly. We really liked the fact that we can do our own breakfast from the stuff that she had bought for us; and little things, like the Easter Cake one morning (we stayed there during the Easter), showed us that Irene is a really sweet and thoughtful host. The view from our big room was towards beautiful Rijksmuseum, and all in all the location of the place is just perfect. We really warmly recommend this place to everyone who wants a very pleasant stay in Amsterdam. Thank you so much Irene!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week recently. Unfortunately it poured with rain for most of the week but that didn't stop us enjoying Amsterdam and enjoying the quirkiness that is Between Art & Kitsch.
Irene greeted us from the top of the 40 stairs required to climb up to her front door. A bit startling at first but nonetheless a healthy start! Once in we went up another flight to get to the rooms. Yes there is the constant smell of cigarette smoke in the halls & landings but the rooms are non-smoking. As I said - old school.
The bed was very comfy - we were in the largest room at the front with a small kitchenette and en suite. It was spacious but cosy with a TV & free (fast) WiFi. Breakfast was essentially a stocked fridge & plenty of bread in the communal kitchenette on the landing that serves all 3 bedrooms. If you want your breakfast cooked for you, this is not for you. Everyone helped themselves each morning to an array of cereals, fruits, yoghurts, juices, ham, eggs (there are two small rings and a microwave) and a variety of cakes, buns & bread. I must admit that by day 7 we were over this novelty and you had to wait for whoever was making their breakfast to finish before you could attempt to make yours but for short stays, I see nothing wrong with this way of working at all.
Irene, followed by her pretty little white cat, came up regularly to check that we had everything we needed in the kitchen and to offer us snippets of where was good to go & visit, etc. She struck me as very straight forward and helpful which is all you need in a B & B owner really! We were offered different food types to our taste for breakfast, clean towels and regularly asked if everything was ok - a very attentive hostess. The rooms were made-up daily and apart from the odd whiff of cigarette smoke through the floorboards, I can't say anything negative about the whole experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple