“Lovely bed and breakfast with warm welcoming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Between Art and Kitsch B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Between Art and Kitsch B&B
You added Between Art and Kitsch B&B to your Saves list
Ruysdaelkade 75-2, 1072AL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #83 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Lovely bed and breakfast with warm welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Hello,
I spent three days in Amsterdam and I found this b&b really nice and confortable. It's located in a safe and lovely area in front of a canal and near by the Van Gogh museum.
Irene the owner was really helpfull, she could give me lot of advices on publics transportations and on what to visit in Amsterdam. There is also a lovely white cat which is living there, so then pets' lovers would be enchanted
I recommand this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I loved Amsterdam all the more thanks to the hospitality of "Between Art and Kitsch". It's a funky and relaxed little place along a canal, and the location is fairly central, but not too central. It has three rooms with views the Rijksmuseum. Nearby are many attractions, including a market and the city's biggest park, and there is also a place to rent bicycles. All the staff are friendly, including the cat. Irene, the owner, is kind, helpful, interesting to talk to, and knowledgeable about the city. She made some recommendations about things I wouldn't have known otherwise. There is a fully-equipped kitchen, and everything was clean and tidy. The rooms are furnished, and the whole place is cozy and welcoming. There was a thunderstorm one evening, and I had a great time curling up with a book and cup of tea in the room with the sound of the rain outside. In short, it had everything I needed for a great visit to Amsterdam. I will go back the next time I visit. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We were two couples who went to Amsterdam for a four night stay at Irene’s B&B and so we took 2/3 of the rooms. It’s a quirky place but the stairs are not bad as some say and there were no queues for breakfast. You get your own breakfast from a good selection of foods provided and if you need more or something different just ask. All of the rooms have tables for 2 and ours had one for 4 so we all ate breakfast together at a time to suit us. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were serviced daily with new towels. Irene was helpful and made some good suggestions for restaurants and bars. Between Art and Kitsch is in an excellent location – minutes away from both the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum; on a canal, close to one of the best markets, bars and restaurants. Tram stops are close so most areas are easy to get to. We walked to Anne Frank’s house from here, in fact we didn’t use the tram, apart from getting there on day 1 until 24 hours before we left. The area had the feel of the Parisian Marais and was wonderful for exploring with the occasional café stop. A good way to escape the frenzy of the Jubilee!

Room Tip: Of the two larger rooms one has a wet room and one a full bathroom - take your pick!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Spent three nights here and loved it. Well-appointed room, comfortable bed and soft bedding. Lots of light and very airy with cheerful decor. Great location.

The B&B is in a typical Amsterdam rowhouse, meaning lots of steep stairs (although this is true for all Dutch houses, especially in Amsterdam); this shouldn't be a problem, just double check that you have everything before you leave for the day! The rooms are average size, the bathroom is small but very well-designed (the whole room turns into a shower, which is very cool).

As for breakfast, we were provided with many kinds of bread, cheese, cold cuts, and fruit as well as butter, jams, nutella, cereal, milk, and juice. All we had to do was pop some bread in the toaster and make coffee in a very easy-to-use machine (using coffee pods). For the sake of comparison, I stayed at an actual hotel (as opposed to B&B) in Leiden, with a real dining room and full breakfast service. That service consisted of two slices of toast, a variety of untoasted bread, a plate with three slices of ham and three slices of cheese, and an assortment of spreads (jam, butter, nutella, sprinkles, etc...). There too, I had to get up to pour my own juice or make myself a coffee using the automatic espresso machine. It is nice to eat in your room, you can even have breakfast in bed. And it's not like they expect you to wash the plates!

In any case, Amsterdam is a lovely city (best seen by bike, which can be rented at numerous locations) and this is a great place to stay when visiting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed there for 5 nights in beginning of May.
The name of this place says it. Between art and Kitsch. Furniture a bit old, room big enough but sanitary a litlle surprising (shower and WC are in the same little room, so that when you take a shower you throw water all over the WC).
The guests are invited to prepare their own breakfast, in the small kitchen just outside the rooms (kitchen shared between all the guestrooms).
Owner nice but absent, and wants to be paid in cash only.
I would say it does not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I had the big double-bed room; very spacious. The bedding was pretty old and musty, though clean enough, but the place absolutely STANK of cigarette smoke, I suppose from the owner. Also, we were there in winter, and the heating was very insufficient; I woke up too cold every morning and developed a cough. The breakfast items were great, except that you have to prepare everything yourself and take it in your room. Biggest complaints were the smoke smell and the heating; the location is fantastic, though. The facility is very close to the Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum, and De Pijp is a very cool neighborhood. We also loved being close to Albert Cuyp Market.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The name says it all. This great little find really is something Between Art and Kitsch. My partner and I wanted to celebrate his big 50 in one of Europe's coolest hubs. We decided to bypass the usually stuffy and staid and settled for this gem in the heart of the Pjip. We couldn't have been happier. Our wonderful landlady Irene was there to greet us upon arrival and showed us to our hippy chick room with a great view of the canal and the Rijksmuseum beyond. Everything was clean, comfortable and cozy. The ensuite bathroom was obviously recently remodeled and gave us great hot showers every morning. We told Irene what were looking for and she customized our itinerary, giving us a few tips that went well beyond our expectations. Before we arrived, I had forgotten to mention my gluten-free diet and she made sure I had my eggs and fruit ready and waiting in the kitchen every morning. We couldn't have felt better even if we were at home. Between Art and Kitsch is the best value we have found in a long time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Between Art and Kitsch B&B? Share your experiences!