“Charming, and filled with amazing beers!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of In de Wildeman

In de Wildeman
Kolksteeg 3, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
31 20 638 23 48
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 569 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A beer lover's paradise, this Amsterdam institution serves literally hundreds of different kinds.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Buffalo, New York
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Charming, and filled with amazing beers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our first beer bar in Amsetrdam, so I'll always remember it for that. We got into town on the wings of a rainy windstorm on a Tuesday evening. As we walked the old, narrow cobbled streets and got soaked, we sidestepped huge puddles and eventually saw the sign for this place and got excited (if we were going to go to just one bar that night, it was going to be a good one and I was willing to get soaked to find it). Being an old city built on top of the water, the amount of flooding we saw in this neighborhood coupled with the intensifying rain made me think the city was going to just drown. Anyways...all the miserable weather disappeared as soon as we walked inside.
The decor is very traditional, and the small place was more or less filled with happy drinkers. I'm a sucker for old fashioned drinking establishments, so this was right up my alley. We weren't sure how things operated, so we ordered a drink at the bar, and then sat down at some available seats at a back table and eventually a server came to us The table we sat down at had an old lady and her daughter or granddaughter just blissed out and laughing behind a sampling array of 20+ beers. I was immediately impressed with the ladies in Holland, as this was the first thing I witnessed at a Dutch bar. I love beer and I've never been so bold as to order a sampler of every single draft beer at a bar...all at once. We come to find out later that a group of Swiss bikers/tourists were in a few hours prior to our arrival and ordered the sampling...and the ladies were just sampling the leftovers. either way, it made for an interesting moment.
Probably one of the tastiest things we ate in Holland was the gigantic plate of dutch cheese and mustard that we ordered from here. I actually can't believe we finished the whole thing between the 2 of us. It was at least 1 pound of cheese if not more.
The beers were excellent. We went outside our comfort zone of flavors and tried the darker, stronger drafts. My favorites were a Dutch spelt ale from Lindeboom and a wine cask-aged strong ale called Bommen & Granaten from De Molen. The list of Holland beers was impressive , and had we no time constraints, we would have sampled a lot more of the bottles.
The service was slow (but very friendly and informative when he came to check on us)...finding the waiter to pay our bill took longer than I would have liked, but we weren't rushing back into the monsoon, so it didn't matter.
I wanted to come back here again, but in the interest of trying new things every day, we didn't return. Next time I'm in Amsterdam, I'm going to save some time for this place again.

Visited September 2013

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A local pub where they love tourists...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Really aqesome Pub with a lot of different bears and a highly trained staff who was able to identify my taste and recomend the best drink!!
Will come back as soon as possible...

Visited September 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great beer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Great lil pub. Nice stop after a long day of running around. Fantastic beer! Seating is a bit hard to come by. I would go anytime im back in amaterdam. Be warned, its cash only.

“Full Experience for Beer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

You can find countless types of beers plus expertise! The staff is very kind and informative. You can get recommendations for your order. The atmosphere is fantastic! If you are a beer lover you can not leave this place at all!

Visited May 2013
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent selection of beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This bar has a wide variety of Belgian, German and Dutch beers. Staff were friendly and pour a great draft. I especially enjoyed the extra touch of them being served in their own respective glasses.