“Something a bit different” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marcel's Creative Exchange

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Marcel's Creative Exchange
You added Marcel's Creative Exchange to your Saves list
87 Leidsestraat, 1017 NX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #79 of 323 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Southampton
“Something a bit different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

The location of this Guest house is excellent - right in the centre of everything. We stayed with friends in the two Patio Rooms at the back of the house, which shares a large on suite, and the Style room which has its own shower and even though it is a busy area we couldn't hear any noise from these rooms. However, the Balcony room (which is the biggest and best looking room) is in the front of the house and does overlook the Street so therefore picks up some noise at night.
You can walk to almost all of Amsterdams tourist spots from his house. Marcel, the Host, is indeed a bit of an excentric but we found him to be very knowledgable and helpful, particulaly with his recomendations for restaurants, cafes, the sights to see and the sights to avoid. We were made welcome and able to make our own tea/coffee in the morning and during the day. Breakfast is not included but Marcel also recomended local cafes for breakfast and they were excellent value. The rooms are designer stylish, clean and the beds are very comfortable, we would much prefer this type of accomodation to a bland "could be anywhere" hotel room. All the rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors and the stairs are very steep.

• Liked — Designer Style
  • Disliked — Shared Toilets / Bathrooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

I can't begin to describe what a rude person Marcel is. He screamed at me and (mostly) my friend on several occasions during our stay for virtually no reason. A few hours after arrival at this breakfastless "bed and breakfast", my friend thought the 36 identical bottles of fruit juice in the common refrigerator were for guest consumption and drank one. Somehow, Marcel discovered this and lit into my friend, calling him a thief and enraged at the violation of his personal effects. My stunned friend politely and repeatedly apologized for his error and offered to replace the 8 ounce juice bottle. Marcel insisted that we would never be able to do so, because it was only available at a place 25 minutes away by bicycle (we later found it, on sale for .69, at the market 2 minutes away by foot). This round of drama finally ended with Marcel apologizing for being a bad host. Ended, that is, until about 6 hours later, when Marcel knocked on our door and began screaming at us again, this time threatening to throw us out on the street. Trust me, we didn't do anything to provoke him. We were booked for 4 nights and all 4 were tense, never knowing when this nut was going to freak out about yet something else. Even after this, he came into our room on at least a couple of other occasions to complain ad nauseum about some other incredibly rude guests who he felt had slighted him in some way or to ramble on about how talented and esteemed he was among anyone who knew anything. At least he wasn't complaining about us then. He also had a 30 minute ranting and raving session about being left off the guest list at the Paradiso (a local concert venue) and what an insult it was to him that he would now actually have to pay and wait in line to see this concert.

The place itself? Great location, nice design and an ok value. But clearly, the lodging establishment itself was obscured by the abusive and wholly unwarranted behavior of the host.

If you are up for a memorable lodging experience, this is definitely the right place to stay. It's just that it will be the wrong kind of memorable. If you end up staying here after reading this (and other) reviews, remember the words "I told you so."

• Stayed November 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I did not share the same experience as the other reviewers. Ours was not as pleasant. To be fair, it is in a great location for seeing Amsterdam. It is located near lots of shops, restaurants and bars. The downside of that though is the noise. We had a room overlooking the street and the noise didn't stop until the sun came up. My wife is a heavier sleeper than I am and it didn't bother her too much, but I had earplugs in and barely slept a wink most nights we were there because of the beligerant drunks screaming at each other until 7am.

We were also surprised that there was no breakfast. How can you call yourself a B&B without breakfast? Without the other "B", you're just a budget hotel. Another disappointment was the bathroom situation. We don't mind sharing a bathroom, but the shared unisex shower was off the main hallway to all the rooms with nothing more than a shower curtain for a seperator. Make sure you get your own bathroom if you stay here.

The host, Marcel, was eccentric and okay in small doses, but he had a tendency to ramble and was at times unhelpful and a little awkward. At one point I spilled something on my shorts and asked if I could use his washing machine to get the stain out before it set. He acted almost insulted that I asked and finally agreed but only if I paid him 9 Euro. I told him not to worry about it. He only accepted cash which isn't too unusual with B&B's, but it's still an annoyance.

The rooms themselves were nice and had a unique artistic quality to them. However, between the shower situation, the endless noise and bizzarre host, I would definitely never stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone. If you're set on staying there, request a room away from the street with your own bathroom.

• Stayed May 2006
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

This is really something different - Marcel rents rooms out in his beautiflly restored Dutch House above a shop on the main street in the city centre - its one block from Liedesplein on Leidesstraat (Trams 2 and 5 among others). Marcel is a wonderful character - chatting with him is fascinating - the rooms are all a perfect homage to the 1970s. Marcel himself was a world famous designer - he was the main designer on the Los Angles Olympics! The rooms are all unique - some have private bathrooms and one even has a private patio and roof garden at the back. Look out for the designer kitchen which Marcel built himself ...its the hub of the house where coffee and chat are freely available. Recommend the Bodega restaurant on Princengracht - out of Marcel's take next right and its on the right past the arts cinema. Also recommend the bagels and coffee on the corner of Princengracht and Leidestraat. Marcel's is so handy - near to all the Museums and the food and nightlife in the main drag and square that are Leidestraat and Leidesplein. A truely enjoyable and unique experience - by the way Marcel's B&B is by invitation only - you must email him and tell him about yourself before you are officially invited to stay - you may also browse his website to see which room to stay in! I stayed in the style and patio rooms on two separate occasions.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

Dealing with Marcel was an awful experience. Through email he sent a confirmation of the reservation and instructions on the next step. I sent my credit card info to which apparently he did not like because it was MC and not VISA. I kept contacting him to find out if everything was ok but no response to the point I had to actually call long distance to see. Based on that he cancelled my reservation and said I did not give my address and thus he could not trust me. Even though he did not request the address. Overall too much drama for a place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

I stayed two weeks in Marcel's lovely home and think of it every day. His hospitality was endless, he knows everything about Amsterdam, and he is a very interesting man.

My room was cozy, clean, and had a fireplace. Coffee or tea were always available. If you want the experience of living in a 15th-16th (?) century canal house just seconds away from the Leidseplein, Marcel's is the place.

You can stumble to at least four coffeeshops in minutes. Located on Leidsestraat, with the #5 Tram running right down the street you can get anywhere quite easily. But I bought a 9-day tram pass and only used it twice because Amsterdam is very walkable.

If you go to his sight you can see photos of the lovely rooms he makes available.

Marcel's is close to nice restaurants, FEBO, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, a Sav-on-like drug store, the Museums.

I highly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange Bed & Breakfast.

One last thought. When you get to Leidsestraat you need to look for Marcel's door between a woman's clothing store and a shoarma restaurant. It's just one little door with Marcel's snazzy logo on it, but it leads to several floors of interesting little rooms.

I LOVE MARCEL'S!

• Stayed April 2003

Been to Marcel's Creative Exchange? Share your experiences!