“Great location and excellent hosts” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel d'Amsterdam

You added Hotel d'Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel d'Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tweede Helmersstraat 4, 1054 CH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #151 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“Great location and excellent hosts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Situated 5 minutes from several tram stops, convenient for getting around. Tram to Dam Square takes about 10 mins.

Several of the popular museums are within walking distance.

Good choice of bars not too far away and lots of Argentinian Steak Houses to choose from.

Room clean, shower powerful enough and good variation at breakfast.

Staff are really nice and helpful.

Wouldn't hesitate in re-booking or recommending to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

After reading reviews about the hotel I booked through Expedia for a 2 night stay. I decided to book a deluxe double after hearing that standard double rooms were slightly small. The room was very big and had a balcony and lovely ensuite with a large shower cubicle.

Through the booking we had breakfast included, which was a great start to a day of exploring! It was the usual breads, croissants, cheese, ham, eggs, cereal, fruit and yoghurt and we could eat as much as we liked.

The staff were more than helpful in directing us to places we should visit and were very apologetic when the room wasn't ready to check-in until 40 minutes after we were told it would be ready.

The location of the hotel was perfect for us. We personally didn't feel the need to use public transport as everywhere was walkable.

I'd definately recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very sleek, modern, and comfortable rooms. Yes, they are rather small, but you must consider that Europeans are generally smaller than our American behinds and are much more efficient as using up space. The air conditioning units at Hotel D'Amsterdam were a godsend during the summer months and all of the electronic devices worked quite well. The Wi-Fi was excellent and the service was helpful and friendly.

This hotel is a mere 3 blocks from an excellent bicycle rental shop, which I recommend to get around town.

Room Tip: Ask for Room # 8...unless I'm there!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

A smart choice 3 stars hotel. Far enough form the center to be super quiet and let us have a nice night sleep and but at the same time 5 min walk close from the center. 5 min walk is enought to be near Liedseplein and from there, thaking the Liedsestraat we can go everywhere we want. It's close to Avis, Budget, it's 10 min walk close to Europcar and Hertz (Overtoom). It has a Lidl 2 min walk away and according to the reviews it's just in front on the best italian restaurants in Amesterdam. (we tried going there twice and couldn't get a table though).
It's very clean, every day they clean the room, Mr. Choi and his wife are very nice and always very keen on given all the information you need with the help of a map, or a bus schedule. Whatever information we needed they provided so, great.
I don't know about the breakfast. We decided to have breakfast out so, I don't know if it's worth the money.
Rooms are very small but are just right. I think when visiting a city what we just need is a place to rest and have a shower with some confort.
Shower water pressure could be better thought, but it also depended at what hour we had the shower - maybe too many people having showers at the same time(?)
From the hotel to Vondelpark it's about 5-10 min walk, very close.
If you what to go to Heineken Experience get out the hotel to Nassaukade and continue straight to Stadhouderskade for 10-15 min.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked this hotel through booking.com. We read up some reviews that were helpful in deciding to stay here, for example, location was important to us. We needed somewhere within easy reach by foot/public transport and Hotel D'Amsterdam offered that. We caught the 197 bus from the airport (4 Euros one way each) and dropped off at Leidesplein and walked to the hotel in under 10min.

Depending on what one looks for in their room, this one offered a double bed, tea making facility, a clean bathroom, TV, fridge and very friendly staff who were always on the ready to help, guide and support. We did not use their hire bikes which are available but we used their facility to leave our luggage for the day after check out until our flight that evening.

Proximity to everything - again, if one enjoys walking about, there is absolutely nowhere one couldn't reach from this hotel. We will definitely be using this place again!!

The plus side - you can return from the hustle and bustle and retire to a nice quiet location!

Room Tip: The back of the hotel was quiet although the front didn't seem too noisy as it backs on to a dea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in March. This is a bed and breakfast hotel, not a chain run by a company. I was greeted warmly by a guy at the front desk. I came early, around 9AM. My room wasn't ready, so I was able to leave my luggage in the lounge while I roamed around the city until the room was ready. When I came back, they showed me to a back room on the ground floor. It was small, but recently refurbished, clean and very adequate. I didn't like the back room location, away from the other rooms, nor the fact that it was on the ground floor. I kind of felt like "let's stick the black girl in the back quarters". But it was quiet (except for breakfast time since I was in the back) so I can't really complain. The room included a flat screen TV, nice wall heater, small but clean bathroom with a nice shower stall. I would most definitely stay again (and I might even request those "colored" quarters again). The guy at the front desk was quite nice and was able to guide me to different destinations and recommend restaurants.

The hotel is near Leidisplein plaza (walking distance). You can catch a bunch of trams to other places. I also walked all the way up to Central station, red light district, Dam Square, and the major museums.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is located in a nice area but a bit far from the main attractions and shopping areas. The room was huge, but the full carpet is a big minus. It always gives you a bit shabby feeling. Otherwise the room was clean and the bed OK. Breakfast was nothing special.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel d'Amsterdam? Share your experiences!