“Corrupt crooks - avoid any contact” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Center Hotel Amsterdam

Center Hotel Amsterdam
We can't find prices for this hotel
Center Hotel Amsterdam
You added Center Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Damrak 58, 1012 LL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #321 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Leeds
“Corrupt crooks - avoid any contact”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

I didn't actually stay at the hotel, but booked it then cancelled, I followed all procedures yet I've still gotten charged £158. They're crooks!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality

Renfrew, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Staff - On arrival the gentleman on the desk carried our cases up the 4 flights of stairs to room 25 which was very kind and thoughtful, on departure a different guy said he would offer to help but had a "bad back".
Stairs - steep, narrow & dirty.
Room - Damp smell, suspect linen/towels, I refused to walk on the carpet without shoes on, had I been able to levitate I would have done so over the bed rather than lie on it. On the last day a 6 legged creature had me screeching in the bathroom, I wouldn't tell my friends what it was until we were at the airport.

Breakfast room - small, functional, fine. Bread, meat, cheese, preserves, tea, coffee and orange juice.
Location - amazing, really central, hence the name!

On the whole the hotel could do with a really really really really good clean and needs redecorated pronto. We gritted our teeth, got on with it and had a great time, only returning to the hotel to change and sleep. But if you were a family or senior citizen or have a physical disability then this place would be a challenge.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
methilhill, scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2006

this hotel is cheap, which says a lot, the stairs almost turn vertical at points (which can be a little weird!!) The breakfast is non-existent, a small room with some unidentified food around the outside! the room (for 5) was cramped.

Having said all of the above, if you reqiure a cheap and cheerful hotel in the centre of amsterdam for a major smoking/sightseeing weekend, i would recommend this place! let's face you aren't going to get the ritz for this price, but hey, you can do pretty much whatever you like in the room (and we did!!) without any complaints from the managment, and the location is top-class, literaly minutes from central station but you fancy a romantic week-end in amsterdam, don't take your girl/boyfriend. It's just not that kind of place.

• Liked — location, not needing an ashtray!
  • Disliked — the stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — get wasted the beds become comfortable
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank lavyheed
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2005

It is an unforgetable experience staying at this hotel. Pictures on Internet from booking agents are nice, huge difference when you are there. Actually this is not a hotel, but you must stay one night and you can get out of there because you have paid for it.

Before our trip, we reserved this hotel because of good location from train station. In 31Jul2005 review & photos from memeber in London UK, we thought this may be one exceptional, not all rooms carry the same problems. Actually, you must "Believe" him, it is the truth. Even the matress was old, towels and bedding turned grey. Unbelievable you are staying in a hotel.

Staff said that part of the hotel are on revonation. I think they need to close out the whole builing for renovation in order to satisfy customer needs and comfort.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leeds, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2005

A friend and I booked here for a three night stay, on the basis of an Amsterdam hotels web-site entry, which described it as simple but comfortable, and had an OK photo of a room.
The price was in the budget range (230 euros each for 3 nights), so one wasn't expecting too much, but even so the experience was fairly poor. My friend's bed was under a sloping roof and his room had no curtain; mine had wiring exposed, two areas of missing plaster, bare lightbulbs and a window that would't close properly, which made it very noisy. The rooms were up four exceptionally steep staircases. Although the towel was changed each day, the beds weren't made. Breakfast was served in a cafe next door and was extremely limited.
On the positive side the location couldn't be more central, and the central heating was efficient.
So probably only to be considered if you are willing to rough it a little; certainly I shan't be going back in a hurry

1 Thank ajmcgLeeds_UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

First things first - booked the hostel, then remembered about this website! Had we read the reviews (apart from the owner's obvious contribution at the end!), we would not have booked. As always, is something sounds too good to be true, it probably is - this place is too cheap to be "all that"!
Having said that, it did lower our expectations and the place wasn't AS bad as we were expecting.
Amazing location - quite honestly couldn't really be better. Half way between Centraal Station and Dam Square....but that's about the only good thing.
Lots of steep stairs - impossible for wheelchair users (not that there were any in our party), but not ideal when one is a little worse for wear, as is so often the case in Amsterdam!
Room for 5 of us was relatively small, makes you want to go out and see what there is all the more!
Seriously uncomfortable beds, palpable springs and questionable mattress stains, at all angles!
As another reviewer mentioned, the carpet is also questionable...
...and the piece de resistance, the MASSIVE gaping hole in the ceiling (see photo!), which was also mentioned in another review, which leaked...and leaked...and leaked! It was raining most of the time and we think that may have had something to do with it but we were on floor 3 of at least 5 or 6 so it doesn't quite add up. The manager/receptionist wasn't too bothered and just gave us a waste bin to put under the incessant leak (see 2nd photo!).
The bathroom was adequate, and was at least clean - there was a panel in the shower door missing, i.e. half a door, and this made showering a little difficult trying not to flood the place if the shower was angled incorrectly. There were also couple of ceiling tiles that would have caused some serious harm had they fallen on someone. There WAS a soap dispenser in the shower though, which is always a good thing if you are the kind of person that always forgets shower gel!
I didn't experience the breakfast room myself, but obviously some strange Dutch (or other national) traditional breakfast is bread and sugar in a room that (from what I could gather) was just a room they weren't sure what to do with.
The place was relatively clean, considering, and I think I've stayed in worse, but would not stay there again. We got a refund for 1 night (out of 2), which we supposed sweetened the pill a little, but the management's indifferent acceptance of our dissatisfaction makes you wonder why they don't do anything about it. The place needs gutting and renovating pdq - I doubt they have many returning guests.
All in all, if you REALLY don't care, this would be the place for you, but if you have high cleanliness standards, service expectations, hunger in the mornings, an insistence on intact facilities or a disability, I don't think this place is for you!
Still, this is Amsterdam, and if you sample enough of the local delicacies, you may not even care!
Enjoy!! (and remember to add your review for wherever you stay, viva Tripadvisor)

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2005

Staff - On arrival the gentleman on the desk carried our cases up the 4 flights of stairs to room 25 which was very kind and thoughtful, on departure a different guy said he would offer to help but had a "bad back", aye right!
Stairs - steep, narrow & dirty.
Room - Damp smell, suspect linen/towels, I refused to walk on the carpet, had I been able to levitate I would have done so over the bed rather than lie on it. On the last day a 6 legged creature had me screeching in the bathroom, I wouldn't tell my friends what it was until we were at the airport.
Location - amazing, really central, hence the name!

On the whole the hotel could do with a really really really really good clean and needs redecorated pronto. We gritted our teeth, got on with it and had a great time, only returning to the hotel to change and sleep. But if you were a family or senior citizen or have a phisical disability then this place would be, er, a challenge.

• Stayed July 2005