“Good but poor housekeeping” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Artemis Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Artemis Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Artemis Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   John M Keynesplein 2, 1066 EP Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #140 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Good but poor housekeeping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Recently stated here for three days with my partner on a long weekend in Amsterdam. The hotel is only a 10 minute bus ride to the airport and a 30 minute tram ride to the centre of Amsterdam (plus 5 minute walk to the tram stop). This distance to the centre of the city is perfect as it keeps you away from the noise of central Amsterdam, a true blessing.

The food at the hotel is lovely and the restaurant staff are excellent. I did prefer eating at the hotel over eating out in Amsterdam and the prices are not greatly different.

The rooms are good and have all the facilities you need. They are kept clean and tidy.

My only issue with this hotel is the housekeeping. Every day I stayed here the housekeeping would take away our dirty towels but not replace them. So every day I had to call down to reception to have towels delivered to my room. Secondly, the housekeeping would not clean or replace dirty mugs we used with the in room coffee facilities. The dirty mugs were left each day. The final and most irritating point about housekeeping was the door bell. They would wake us up everyday between 8:30 and 9am by ringing the rooms door bell to see if they could come clean the room.

Apart from the minor niggles above this is a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed in Artemis hotel for three nights in September 2014 while visiting Amsterdam. The hotel is very big and has a lot of conference facilities, so I suppose that mostly businessmen stay there. The rooms are OK, ours was relatively spacious with a big bathroom. The standard is quite high (nothing breathtaking, but serves its purpose I would say).

The hotel is located in the outskirts of Amsterdam. It is not a big problem as Amsterdam is relatively small and as all the means of public transportation are close to the hotel. A tram stop is about 10 minutes from the hotel and it takes you to the historical center in 15 minutes. The location is advantageous when it comes to getting to the airport, it takes only 15 minutes to get to the airport from the hotel by bus (direct trip, no transfers; but verify bus schedules as the bus does not run on weekends). On the other hand, the area around the hotel is rather remote, we did not manage to find any restaurant close to the hotel or any supermarket.

All in all Artemis is a nice place to stay while discovering the breathtaking city of Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here for one night visiting my company's Netherlands office, which is actually next door to the hotel, so the location was perfect.

Check-in was quick and friendly. My room was relatively modern in design and decor, pleasant and clean. I slept very well and bar service was friendly.

Not much else to say - I'll definitely stay again if I need to.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Recently stayed at the Artemis Dutch Design Hotel for 3 nights with my partner. It is quite close to the airport which we only discovered on arrival so it would probably work out cheaper to pay for a taxi from the airport yourself rather than pay for the extortionate transfer fees when booking a package holiday/break. We were checked in quite quickly but we were asked for a credit card deposit of 50 euros or cash deposit of 25 euros which would be returned at the end of the stay providing no damage etc was done to the room. We were given a room on the seventh floor, on booking we requested a double room but were disappointed to find 2 small twin beds instead. My partner went back down to reception to request a change of room to which he was told the hotel did not have any double bed rooms. We found this extremely hard to believe as the hotel holds a large amount of rooms over 8 floors and did not seem at all busy at the time, we even offered to pay extra but were told no so this was quite a disappointing start to our weekend away. The room was relatively clean but very basic and compact. We went out to explore straight away to find that the area compiles of residential properties and a hospital. No supermarket or shops within decent walking distance. The reception staff were helpful and were able to provide bus and tram timetables and point us in the right direction. The number 145 bus can be caught right behind the hotel and that takes you right into Amsterdam centre. Or the number 2 tram which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel takes you right to central station. We used both during our stay depending on where we wanted to venture to. All the bus and tram drivers spoke good English and seemed friendly towards tourists. For 2 adults on the bus it was 5 euros one way or 5.60 euros for the tram one way which was relatively reasonable. Both journeys took half an hour to get into the centre of Amsterdam so we had to be conscious of this throughout the stay in order to get the best of the day. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, I personally did not like what was on offer during breakfast as the hot food choice was limited and very Dutch orientated but for those of you who do not eat much in the morning it would be fine. Overall although the hotel itself is fine I would not stay there again and would look for somewhere a little more closer to the centre next time.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My partner and I visited his hotel in March 2013 as we got a deal on Groupon.

The hotel was nice, bright and comfortable and although I didn't have breakfast my partner loved it.

We got a bus from the airport to the hotel which was easy enough once we found the bus stop. We took a tram very day to the centre which took between 30 and 40 minutes and ran til about midnight.

We got to the hotel earlier than the checkin allowed us but we were given our rooms straight away. We got to our room to find they had given us twin beds instead of a double and they moved us straight away.The rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is located in a business district on the far south side of the city. It’s a good fifteen minute taxi ride from the airport which cost us €50 and another ten minute car journey into the centre which costs around €20-€25. On a busy Friday evening the wait for a taxi to arrive for a trip to the centre took a good fifteen minutes, probably due to this distance. I certainly couldn’t recommend the Artemis for a touristy visit to Amsterdam but the hotel is a typical business friendly place.

All the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly, helpful and fluent in English. The check-in process was easy and with complimentary ‘sweet treats’ and useful maps of the city was very welcoming. The reception staff were also happy to loan plug adaptors free of charge. The lobby area is large and bright with plenty of unique art giving a very different feel. The art probably changes throughout the year but from blowup dogs to fluffy home furnishings it was worth taking a few moments to admire. The corridors of the hotel were modern and clean with an ice dispenser and shoe cleaning machine by the lift, which was a nice touch. The seating area for the restaurant was large and had an open plan feel leading into the bar. The bar area isn’t overly large but had a good mix of seating for two and more communal areas. I felt the drink prices were reasonable for a hotel and the selection of drinks would cater for all.

Our bedroom on the fifth floor was adequately sized with a large working desk and two arm chairs. It was probably a twin with two large single beds rather than a double; although placed together they gave a fantastic large and very comfortable night’s sleep. The air conditioning was silent and being on a business park there was no outdoor activity to disturb overnight. With no proper lighting (just a floor lamp and reading lights over the bed) it did feel rather dark and had I wished to do any work late in the evening I would have found this a struggle. My other criticism of the room was that it was very dusty. Presumably from the bedding, but a phone left on the bedside unit overnight was covered in the morning. Be sure not to leave any black suits etc on or around the bed if you don’t have a lint roller handy! The room had a wooden floor and tiles in the bathroom.

The bathroom was separated with a smoked glass door and had a modern feel with artwork on the wall. No bath, although the shower was powerful despite a ridiculously small shower head for the size of the cubicle. Annoyingly there was no shelf in the shower resulting in constant bending to the floor for shampoo etc. The provided toiletries were ok although combined bottles rather than separate shower gel / shampoo / conditioner.

An open clothes hanging area with some shelves, mini bar (although empty), tea / coffee making facilities with a kettle, digital safe and ironing board completed the room. Rather than UHT pots of milk, dried whitener was provided which won’t be to everyone’s taste.

The Hotel Artemis provided a very comfortable stay and for a business visit to the area would be fine. With a limited range of TV channels and dim room I wouldn’t want to stay for an extended period of time but I’m guessing few people do. I wouldn’t recommend the hotel for a holiday or tourists as there is little, if anything, in the area other than offices!

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel has nicer views over water rather than offices.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Rimini, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel looks pretty new and clean. Rooms are nice, but not very big for a 4 star hotel 6 km from the center. A thing I appreciated was the really fast elevator, and the ice machine in front of my room; while something i didn't appreciate was that everything is so expansive there... About 13 euro for a beer and a bottle of water bought at the counter of the hotel's bar, and 10 for a sandwich that the waiter served to our table beside a small artificial lake behind the hotel, doesn't sound a good deal.
The staff is nice, and they can help you, but if you go to Amsterdam to visit the city, I guess you can find something that fits better to your needs, while if you're going there for business in the area around the Artemis, it's worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Artemis Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!