“Don't go there!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barbacan Hotel Amsterdam

You added Barbacan Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Barbacan Hotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plantage Muidergracht 89, 1018 TN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #319 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
In between Holidays
“Don't go there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Our family of four and a couple had booked and pre-paid for a two night stay several months before we arrived. Travelling from Australia with six people meant we had to know we had a bed before we got to Amsterdam. What a nightmare to discover it was a dump. We're not fussy but this place stinks of cigarette, rude owner, rooms are poky, bugs on pillows, toilet leaked. Shown to a different room which was no better. We went out for a meal thinking it might look better after a few drinks. It didn't. We piled into our hired van and found friendly staff and clean rooms out near the airport. Steer clear of this one.

Room Tip: If you want a clean room, try another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

Obviously this is not a 5star hotel but as far as this website is concerned it gets 5 stars from me.

Went with 8 girls for 30th birthday for the weekend17-19th Feb. Price £34 ppn. We all stayed in ensuite double rooms. They were compact but simple and clean. For all the time we spent there, it suited our purposes perfectly.

In a nutshell....

Friendly staff, Clean rooms, good location, good price. Would recommend if u are looking for cheap accommodation in a good location.

• Stayed February 2012
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The experience in your hotel ruined our trip to Amsterdam.
I'm not picky, we didn't expect a 4 star hotel, but we did expect somewhere that was at least clean! I wouldn't let my worst enemy spend the night here.
We booked hotel Barbacan in February thinking we would be staying in a basic, clean hotel with a double bed and a bathroom. Instead, upon our arrival we were sent to a twin room with a communal bathroom, the ceiling had a 3 foot stretch of mold which leaked, we told reception about it, they said no refunds and no room changes, we asked to speak to a manager, she said they were off for the weekend, we found it hard to get a receipt for proof of stay, but secured one on check out.
The staff showed absolutely no interest in our complaints, and were rude and unfriendly. The fact that the staff seemed to show no interest in our complaints and that we were stuck with a moldy room are, to me, completely unacceptable.

The bathroom was very very unclean, we had asked for a room with a bathroom and double bed but we got a communal bathroom!! we couldnt even walk around in it it was so small, and people kept trying to walk in when I was in there.

we had to sleep with the window opened when staying there as we didn’t want to breathe mold in (it wasn't warm and in fact rained), we were tempted to take on extra cost to change hotels, but because the woman at the desk refused to hand me back the money I had given her prior to seeing the disgraceful room, we couldn't change our accommodation. There were other hotels in the area we could have gone to, but because we had given her the money we were unable to go anywhere. We felt we were forced to stay in your hotel.

IT completely ruined our trip, I can't describe how horrible the hotel rooms were, the staff were them most ignorant people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ostrava, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I booked a room with this hotel online through booking.com on 11th January 2012. While ‎doing that, I made a mistake, instead of booking myself on 19 I booked myself on 12th ‎Jan. 2012. After 7 minutes, I realized I made a mistake because the booking.com ‎webpage is tricky. I called booking.com and they said they explained the matter to the ‎hotel and that the hotel will come back to me in one hour. Got no reply, so called the ‎hotel and there I got the shock of my life. there Front Office Manager named, Nelly, was ‎so rude that I can not even believe my ears. First she said the HOTEL POLICY says I can ‎not cancel. I said I don't want to cancel, just only change the check in date. Called ‎booking.com again and tried to talk to a supervisor there called Luis Juarev. He also tried ‎to talk to her, but he came back to me with nothing. I called the hotel again and Nelly ‎picked up the phone again. She told me literally, "you made the wrong booking and we ‎are going to take your money and we don't even care if you come or don't come, as long ‎as we get our money." and hang up the phone on my face. That was truly the most ‎terrible experience I had with hotels in my life, and it happened in Amsterdam. Now I ‎feel like I was mugged. ‎

Guys, anyone here has the contact address of the authority in charge of hotels in ‎Amsterdam? I would be grateful. Please send it to my e-mail: soori2004@yahoo.com. ‎

Thank you for reading this.‎

Regards, ‎
H. S.‎

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Old as it was from 18th century.
Dirty as like it has been cleaned properly in ages.
Broken and torn items, on a rate of 0/10, the room was a 0. That bad.
Servicedesk was unfriendly, rude, not helpful, especially the elderly men and women.
Bar, strange enough they´re throwing parties in the bar downstairs like it is The Hilton!
Put that money into construction for room upgrades.
Overall this is more an in bad shape shelter or youth hostel, I think you have better options overthere.
Why aren´t travelagency´s checking their company´s-hotels before they allow them to advertise on their websites. I am really upset about this such an unpleasant trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I have no complaints about the Hotel in general as the room and shared bathroom were clean and comfortable. The TV was functioning, there was sink in the room with a small window to let some fresh air in. Narrow staircase leading up to the rooms so those with bigger bags do be careful. Finding a cheap hotel in Amsterdam is not easy let alone on a last minute trip so we were grateful that we managed to get our room at Hotel Barbacan. Although the Hotel is not in the city centre per se, this is easily overcome with renting a bicycle. All the attractions were therefore easily accessible and I would suggest that the best way to explore Amsterdam is to do it by bicycle. There is the flea market close by with very reasonably /cheap priced items -Waterlooplein. To the party animals who intend to stay in Barbacan Hotel, make sure you have dinner before going back to the Hotel as there no shops open for this. In the morning there is a lovely bakery nearby selling really good sandwiches and a coffee shop ( as in real coffee :) ) with good coffee. Overall it was a pleasant experience and we would definitely consider going back.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries as the hotel does not provide it. Fresh towels are provided everyday.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
cleethorpes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

Me & my friends are in our late 20s & stayed at Hotel Barbacan as part of our European road trip. We found that the hotel offered great value for money, a friendly atmosphere & great location for walking into Amsterdam city centre (about 15 min walk). We had a 5 bed room with a small but perfectly usable bathroom, tv & comfy beds. It was a nice room although if you are looking for luxury, this isn't the place for you. However, if you are looking for a cheap, convenient hotel to use as a base for exploring Amsterdam from then this hotel is ideal. I wouldn't recommend this to families with young children though as more suited to travellers or young people. Overall a great hotel with a cool bar & cheap rooms - perfect!

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Barbacan Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!