“Excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Impala

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Impala
Save Saved
You added Hotel Impala to your Saves list
Leidsekade 77, 1017 PM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #318 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The impala is suituated in the leidsplein district of amsterdam, 5 minutes walk from the bulldog coffeeshop, and about 15 minutes walk to dam square & red light district.

I would recommened this hotel if your going for a mens or womans weekend away, its very basic but does the job well, we had a shower so powerfull it nearly threw you to the other side of the street, it was the best shower ive ever been in, fantastic

I would go back again yes definately, ive actually stayed here about 3 times now on a lads weekend trip

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

The hotel itself is smelly, the reception consists of cheap old plastic furniture. The stairs is covered by a carpet that is worn through so you can see the underlying staircase. Everything is dirty and smelly. Breakfast is included in the price, I skipped that one voluntarily, considering the standard of everything else in the hotel I definitely do not want to eat something there. I never saw any other guests there, my guess is that the people that book this hotel either immediately leave the hotel and go somewhere else (and hence have to pay for 2 hotels since you have to pay in advance for your room when you book it on the phone), or they do what I did: Pack all valuables in the knapsack and immediately leave the hotel and try to stay out as long as possible since you definitely want to spend as little time as possible in this hotel.

It is obvious that the hotel room has been broken into several times, and the hotel owners have tried to prevent that it would happen again by attaching a metal frame.
The metal frame is severely bent from the front side of the doors and it looks like there have been attempts to break in after the metal frame was there.

The shower in the room was totally rotten and stinks, I never used it. The toilet is not in the room, its down the hallway, with a door that leaves a 8 cm gap if you try to close it and it STINKS from urine. I used the toilets at Burger King during daytime, rather than going into the hotel's disgusting toilet.

This pillow was probably white once upon a time, I do not want to know where all the spots comes from, nor how many unidentified kinds of animals that lives in the pillow. The rest of the bed sheets were full of holes, but looked at least clean. The blankets and pillows were disgusting. I used my sleeping bag.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We went there a year ago and the only thing i can say is (do not stay there)
The triple room was big but under my bed i found a chocolate of hundred years,the smell of the bathroom was terrible,the heating did not work (and after one night that we stayed in this room with no heat they moved us in another room).In this 'wonderful' room we show a mouse!!!!!!
DO NOT GO

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

We stayed 4 nts, rate was 70 euros for a double however, we moved from our closet sized room to a triple next door when the bath drain clogged up.

the triple was GREAT! about 3x the size of the double, i highly r recommend a triple, we had a small balcony and it was very bright with the big windows.

breakfast was good, yes, stairs are very steep by typical.

i'd recommend this place but caution that it's great for budget travellers. the triple was only 80 euro and plenty big.

water pressure was good and the room was clean.

i occasionally smelled cigarette smoke but it wasn't offensive or constant.

do not get a double since they are tiny. staff was nice, especially the cleaning lady.

oh and we had a problem with the door lock, it locked, we just had trouble getting in the room!

good location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — very small double rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Impala from 2 nights Fri 28th and Sat 29th March with two friends all of us female.

The only good point about this hotel is that the bed covers were clean.

We stayed in a quad room on the top floor. Yes the stairs are pretty steep but that is standard in Amsterdam.

Apart from that everything else was pretty filthy. The walls had stuff splashed all over them, red stains on the skirtin boards, carpets were filthy. The bathroom was reasonably clean but with a shower worse than a tap and a bin that was not emptied after the last people that stayed there. The main light in the room didn't work and there was only one mirror and that was in the bathroom so you couldnt all get ready at the same time.

Most of the rooms I would say are smoking rooms and the hotel constantly smelled of smoke the gaps under our door really meant you felt like someone in your room was smoking.

The breakfast room looked "ok" but needless to say my friends and I really did not want to eat there.

The location is fine lots of bars and restaurants nearby and easily walkable to Centraal Station and Dam Sqaure within about 15-20 minutes. Which is a nice walk through lots of shops etc

I would not recommend this hotel unless you really don't care where you stay. We paid 220 Euro for two nights for 3 people.
I would have preferred to have spent just that lilttle bit more and stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I booked Hotel Impala for me and three friends over easter weekend.
The cheap rate and great location seemed perfect. THEN I saw the reviews.... and foolishly decided to ignore them as we knew we were staying in a cheap, in effect - backbacker's hotel and wasn't expecting the Ritz.
We arrived at about 09:30... we had to ring the doorbell 5 times before anyone opened it.... who turned out to be a guest because there were NO staff in the building.
After 10 minutes of waiting around like idiots, a man appeared from his room..... explained that he doesn't work there - but could tell us that they are fully booked and had accepted anyone that had been to the hotel asking for a room - regardless of previous bookings.
He tried phoning round other hotels - which were all fully booked.
EVERYTHING you read is true, the carpet is filthy etc etc. And as the guy who helped us out said.....''everyone wants to stay here because it's cheap, so they come, more come and now the [--] place is just falling apart''
I strongly reccomend 'The Owl Hotel' - we ended up staying here, and it was lovely - comapred to the squalor we would have been staying in!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
treviso
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

Everything in this Hotel was extremely mucky: the floor cover, the key of the room didn't work, the windows were dirty and broken, the bed sheets had strange stains like the towels in the bathroom and the room walls!!!
Moreover, when we had breakfast in the morning no one were there to help us and nothing was ready to be used: finally we had to clean dishes and cups!!
The last day, when we had to pay, even the credit card machine didn't work (it was broken since the first day we arrived there)...hence my friendly suggestion is: DON'T GO TO IMPALA HOTEL!!!
Now you are worned...

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Impala? Share your experiences!