“A unique hotel...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lloyd Hotel

Save Saved
You added Lloyd Hotel to your Saves list
Lloyd Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oostelijke Handelskade 34, 1019 BN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #145 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Newcastle
“A unique hotel...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

It was my first trip to Amsterdam with a group of 3 girlfriends and we decided to book a hotel that would allow us all to stay in one room. Upon arrival our room wasn't ready but we were informed they had upgraded us from a 4* to 5* room which sounded great. After heading out for some sightseeing, my friend and I returned to discover the room which was huge but honestly a little odd - a mezzanine balcony with chairs stacked behind a curtain, wood paneled decor, 2 further doors leading to other parts of the hotel, huge high ceilings, a tiny tv and our beds set up dormitory style. We felt it wasn't necessarily up to the 5* rating, so we asked to see some alternative rooms. Whilst the reception desk were accommodating, we decided to stay in the room as the other options we were shown were a lot smaller for 4 people.

After returning to the hotel after dinner, the room seemed very sinister at night, however, the hotel was fully booked, so there was possibility of moving rooms. We settled down to sleep and basically we were all kept awake for most of the night due to the ridiculous amount of noise on the street outside (the room was on the ground floor level). It was awful and two of my friends were pregnant, so even more reason they needed to have a good night sleep! The next morning we raised the issue with the reception desk who admitted they had received several complaints and offered to move us to another room if we packed our suitcases. Bearing in mind we were only staying for two nights and the next room wouldn't be ready until later in the day, we went out into the city. Transport is very easy from the hotel with a tram spot just outside.

The next room was in my opinion of a better standard and much quieter (on the 2nd/3rd floor). However, there was a steep staircase (not ideal for pregnant girls getting up during the night) and the bed (said to be for 7) was actually made up of one single and 2 double mattresses joined together!

It's a quirky hotel with interesting design details but I felt that we had over paid for the standard of our rooms. The restaurant seems nice and we enjoyed some snacks and drinks on the terrace area outside when we arrived.

Following our stay, the hotel sent an email (as I had made the booking) requesting any feedback. I forwarded this on to the girls for them to share their thoughts and unsurprisingly when they clicked through to the hotel website both or our rooms were advertised as conference facilities!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Feel being part of the history when you stay at this first 5 stars hotel in the world. Discover your feelings when you are in the same room that probably was a prison durong the second world war, but do not worry, today is a museum and people will be very nice also breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is not your average hotel. It is more lively and noisy. Expect artistically unshaved and spectacled people wearing baseballcaps in the restaurant. During our stay several business functions were taking place, taking up a lot of the space in the ‘lobby’ and the hallways. This makes you feel more like an accidental passer-by then like a paying guest. It does however lend the place a certain charm as does the historical atmosphere; if you don’t like this there are plenty of standard hotels to choose from. We did not feel like like dining at the restaurant due to the cantine-like atmosphere but opted for roomservice instead. Service was swift and the food was good enough. Our room was labelled as five stars (‘unforgettable’). This is confusing. I can live without a trouser press any day but the absence of any cupboard, any chair, a mini-bar, a radio or sound-system, a box of tissues, coffee- and tea making facilities, airconditioning, bathrobes, slippers, a glass or a beaker, make for the fact that it does not seem to me to be up to 4 (or 3?)star standards. The room was huge, tastefully, if minimally decorated and featured an enormous table ( no complaints there) but the plastic bathroom did nothing to make up for the lack of a five star experience. How are you supposed to watch the small tv if there’s no chair, just a couch parallel to the screen? It had no more than twenty channels, some of them overlapping or blank. It is clear that the Lloyd Hotel is not aiming to rival Amsterdams top five (or ten) hotels, nor by level of confort or by price, but with a small effort they could give the ‘five star’guests a much more confortable enclave in this interesting place.

Room Tip: 5 stars are not....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

When I first arrived at the hotel the service was blunt and rude. They asked for either my credit card details or my a deposit of 100 euros. As I was unable to afford to give 100 euros I gave them my card details. They immediately withheld the money on my card and are now refusing to give it back for two weeks on the terms that there is any damage present. I am absolutely disgusted by this as an Australian traveller and feel as though I have been robbed. The room was creepy and the hallways were like I was staying at a prison camp. I stayed in a two star room which for the price I thought would be decent, unfortunately it wasn't. The hotel is no clear with their information, and as an Australian traveller I would not recommend ANYONE go there!!!! SCAMMERS!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have never reviewed a hotel in my life, nor have I ever stayed at such a creepy and disgusting place. I arrived on a morning flight from the States and reception told me my room was already ready. I was very excited to have a room so early as this is rarely the case. The man at the reception mentioned the room was very nice and had a large kitchen, which I thought was strange, but ignored. I received the key and made my way down the institutional hallway which was slightly unnerving. I opened the door to my room and was shocked to see it was in fact just a kitchen, and incredibly industrial kitchen. It took me several minutes find the bed as it was built into what appeared to be a large pantry off the side of the kitchen, the room was also not made up. I went back to reception to tell them it was dirty and I wouldn't be staying in the kitchen with the closet bed. I asked for a more traditional room and was told I'd have to come back at 3 for normal check in. My second room, which I wasn't actually given the key to until 4 after I spent an hour sitting in the reception waiting for, was on the first floor and down a long winding hallway which reminded me of a jail. The room was both dirt and just plain gross. The bedside lights didn't work no the only over head light was the sort you'd put in your garage. My bathroom had an open concept shower and the entire bathroom smelled of mold. There were no tissues and not a single conveience item in the room. As a single young woman traveling alone I was also uncomfortable with the location and frankly some of the staff. I don't know what was going on in the halls all night buti couldn't lock my door and I was awoken several times thinking someone was coming into my room because the noise was so loud. I wanted to call reception at 3 am to ask if security was walking the halls because it sounded as though someone was pacing, but there was not room phone. I was so disgusted I asked to have a refund for two of the three nights I had booked but I was refused. I would recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The advertising is so false I plan on calling me credit card company to see if they can get a refund.

Room Tip: Do not book any room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Redhill, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The location of the hotel was convenient; 2 min walk away from the tram stop that takes you to the centre or any other main areas of the city in about 10 min.

When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist was quite cold but polite. We were given 2 maps of the city and 2 keys for the room. Our room was located in the basement and it was narrow and dark. There were 2 separate single beds which we knew was a possibility, however, the beds were placed on the opposite ends of the narrow room and it was impossible to put them together. The bathroom was basic with a shower directly over the floor and there was a shower blade available to dry the floor.

The cleanliness left a lot to wish for. The room was carpeted with two smaller rugs on the top. The carpet had visible stains and was simply dirty. Both, the carpet and the rugs needed not only a deep clean but a hoover as well (the dirt in the corners built up to a very thick layer). The water from the bathroom that was building up during every shower, was leaking through to the room and wetting the carpet.

There was no kettle available in the room which should be a basic facility. Although the bed sheets and towels were changed every day, the room was not cleaned. We had some old tea cups with a bit of milk in a jug that was also getting old, which was never taken away.

The WIFI was meant to be available. That was not the case if you were in the basement. Signal was on and off (only picking up on iPad not iPhone) to the point that there was no point in using it at all. Also, beware of city tax charge at check out.

The hotel redeemed itself a little when we could leave our luggage there for couple more hours after checking out.

Also, I would advice not to buy breakfast. I heard it's quite expensive (€17 pp) and from what I saw it's just platters of some meat some cheese and some jam etc. There is a supermarket literally on the other side of the street. and with the fridge available in the room (at least the room we were in) you can save a lot of money.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with more stars where better than ours, but whatever the star rating the cleanliness...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Can you believe this? I have never been to Amsterdam, that's until last week .... visiting for 36 hours to check the Unseen Photography event - if you like photography, young emerging photographers, this is a great event; anyway I made it over to the Lloyd mid-afternoon - needed to ae-charge the iphone, surprise, surprise!! The room was huge, view out to the river and the men made island, all very post-industrial, fantastical! I think my room was two star - quite utilitarian in feel, really well designed furniture and accessories, totally my cup of tea! I headed out after an hour, came back later in the evening and had a great night's sleep. In this room the shower is on the wall in the room - not a separate space - with a wonderful tool - a window wiper rubber on a stick - to wipe the floor dry after, excellent!! I headed downstairs to the beautiful 'dining cafeteria', high ceilings, private tables, a common table, an area with sofas and newspapers, I ate excellent fruit and granola, scrambled egg on toast with a heap of smoked salmon, fantastic! I headed out for a packed schedule of studio visits, curator tours, lunch etc making it back in the early evening to re-group, eat a quick plate of food - excellent lentils, tomatoes, leaves etc - before heading out to the airport for a late flight to London. The Lloyd was a great first night in Amsterdam, highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The more you pay, the better the room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lloyd Hotel? Share your experiences!