“Functional and Friendly” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #205 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Functional and Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This stay was really just about having a convenient location for a business meeting the following day. A colleague booked the hotel so I didn't have a say as to the size of the room. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a polite receptionist who did all of the usual and gave me my key. I can't remember the room number. However, I recall that the room was rather small. Of course, I was comparing it to previous hotels I'd stayed at, and "small" for one person is not necessary "small" for someone else. The bathroom struck me as being functional, but in need of some modifying/touching up.

I went out for dinner in the evening (can't remember where right now - it was a nice, modern place nearby that did great steaks (that's all I can remember). That's pretty useless, I know, but I can at least tell you that it's a left out of the hotel door, about a 10-minute walk. Still pretty useless, I admit! I'm going from 10-month-old memory, remember!

There were some wifi inconsistencies, but I suspect that had to do with peak times. Ordinarily, most hotels I stay at have high internet traffic, perhaps because of people like me trying to Skype their wife and children.

Breakfast was fairly simple, but just fine. No complaints in that regard.

As with most hotels I've stayed at, there were other guests who felt they had a right to walk and talk as if there were a competition to see who could make the most noise. This is not a fault of the hotel. Some people are either just that ignorant, or are inconsiderate. Earplugs have become a close friend.

I wasn't so sure if I wanted to stay there again (although I did, and will add that review as well) purely based on the size of the room. HOWEVER, I later learnt that the hotel had different room sizes with very reasonable rates to "upgrade".

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for 3 nights for a weekend break, hotel staff friendly & helpfull on arrival, pointed out some local places to eat, room was clean & comfortable, basic accomodation but was'nt lookng for more!
a little way out of the centre (about 20-30min walk) but this was perfect for us, could get away from the hussle & bustle, but could also enjoy exploring the central area.
The hotel was a bit noisy at times, but didnt have any problems sleeping. Room was cleaned daily. 24 hour bar at the hotel also.
we had a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the park

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The place needs updated for a start the hotel was noisey couldnt sleep at night and at weekend it was worse durning the week the room was backed onto by a school so you were also woke up early by school kids. The room was basic but the bath that the shower was in was a death trap as it runs at an angle and is only about 3ft long. The stairs off hotel were also death traps as they were very small and steep.the bed sheets were not changed the whole time we were there. The view you looked at was that off a run down garden with weeds and rubbish all over the place. only positive thing about this hotel is free wifi but depending on time could be very slow

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015 via mobile

Reading through the other reviews I think they must have stayed somewhere different. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, they had great local knowledge and gave us a map with details of all the places we wanted to visit, they also told us which trams to get.
The rooms are small, but you still have plenty of room in their comfy double bed and quite spacious bathroom. The rooms were warm but not too hot to sleep in like other hotels I've stayed in. It was very clean and our room was made up every day whilst we were out.
There is a primary school behind the building, but I only heard noise at around 9.30, which by then I was on my way out to explore!
If you have only come to Amsterdam to stay in your room and not explore, this place isn't for you. It makes a perfect base to return to and relax, but the real adventure is outside.

• Stayed January 2015
teesside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

staff lovely hotel lovely and grounds out back seated smoking area £9 for breakfast which isnt included but bar and coffe all reasonably priced 5.95 euros for a bottle groulsh and 11.00 euros for a double vodka and red bull tea and coffee 2/3 euros bike hire direct from hotel 11.00 euros for 3 hrs and a 40 min walk to center very small room and extra small bathroom but over all great hotel clean and comfortable

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel from the 14th of December for 2 nights. I thought the location was ok, the tram system in Amsterdam is really good, so when we got off at Centraal Station, we got the number 4 tram to the Centurbaain (sorry if spelled wrong). And the hotel was a short walk. The staf were really friendly, the manager was Scottish so he was really helpful to us with knowing where to go for food ect. Our room was a small double, and it was very small but clean. The decor was a bit dated, and the TV was very old. Our view was out to a primary school which was annoying in the morning when they were out playing but not too bad. The stairs were the biggest downfall, but like most buildings in Amsterdam they were very narrow and I did not use them. There is a lift, and a bar area and restaurant which we did not make use of. Overall, the hotel was nice, and we got a really good deal. I would stay here again, but only for a short period of time.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room - not a small double. Request one at the front of the building so you dont get...
Larne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

Good basic hotel in good location , rooms are small and basic but kept clean - it really could look cool if it had been decorated in a more modern way , double bed , small desk and single wardrobe.
Bed was comfortable and clean , showeroom really needed attention with chipped tiles and broken sink. Had decent shower with plenty hot water and radiator in room was always on when we where there so room was warm .
Location was quite good and transport to it was very good and easy to understand , staff where pleasent and helpful if needed .
Took breakfast one morning which had a decent selection of breads , cheeses , meats as well as orange ,coffee and teas . There is also a small bar for guests .
The room was only something like £34 per night so considering this i feel it was good value .

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Aalborg Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!