“Decent place, overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of misc eatdrinksleep

You added misc eatdrinksleep to your Saves list
misc eatdrinksleep
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kloveniersburgwal 20, 1012 CV Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #12 of 353 Hotels in Amsterdam
Elko, Nevada
“Decent place, overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Room was comfortable, clean and conveniently located but very noisy from street pedestrians all night long. We stayed 3 nights and did not experience the charming hospitality that others reported. Indifferent would be an apt description. Front desk was never staffed except in mornings during breakfast, and requests for advice or recommendations were met with a grumpy non-answer. Good breakfast, generous complimentary mini-bar in room, but the cute bar downstairs is never staffed and it felt like an imposition to ring the owners in their living quarters to come sell us a drink so we didn't patronize the bar at all. They offer bikes for rent -- heavy/clunky and not nearly as well maintained and at a higher price than the commercial bike rentals nearby (we tried both). At 200+ Euro/night this place seemed over priced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

On a recent press trip through The Netherlands, I had one night on my own. Left to locate and book a hotel on my own, I read the review right here on Trip Advisor! I chose misc eatdrinksleep partially based on the reviews. I couldn't be more pleased with my experience. I'm a travel writer and review hotels, destinations and restaurants for articles. Although this little gem wasn't scheduled to be part of my Amsterdam coverage, I'm adding it as a lodging option. Absolutely lovely rooms, delicious breakfast, gracious hosts and perfect location! I highly recommend this for anyone looking for smaller inn. Wonderful!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here for four nights, and found this hotel to be very well located. Easy walking distance from the central train station, and numerous restaurants and takeaways nearby. Red light district just a street away, but for those keen to avoid it, this is easily done by avoiding the connecting side streets and sticking to the main road.
Hotel was very accommodating, especially with early breakfast if needed. My room was perhaps a but elaborately decorated for my needs, but perfect for a couple. Quiet hotel with no noise, despite it's quite central location and busy street footfall.
Be warned the stairs are a bit steep, but be warned, they are steep in just about every establishment in Amsterdam!
I would highly recommend this establishment, to those travelling together, and also to those travelling alone...

Room Tip: All rooms are supposedly decorated different, see the website. Option of canal view or garden view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel! The owner's were so friendly and even setup a canal tour for us within the first hour of us being there. The boat for the canal tour was small, open, and extremely quiet, which I would much prefer to the huge, enclosed ones where you probably couldn't get many good pictures or much of a tour. They also gave us great advice on where to eat, where to shop, which museums to skip, etc. They were very easy to talk to, but gave you space and privacy as well.

They had a free smartphone app with an offline map of Amsterdam that we could use throughout the city (no data needed), which was a godsend. The app also had attractions, restaurants, shops, etc that they recommended.

We stayed on the top floor with air conditioning because I have allergies and asthma. The room was huge with a minibar and fridge (everything in it was free and they refilled it everyday!) and a table. The shower and toilet were in separate rooms, which is convenient.

The owner's sister has celiac disease, so she knew how to handle my gluten intolerance very well! I did mention when I was booking "gluten free food if possible, please" when booking.

The breakfast was huge and amazing. Definitely the best I've ever had in a hotel and probably even in a restaurant. They had gluten free bread and gluten free granola (more than enough for my huge appetite over 4 nights), so I got to eat everything that my friend did :) I sent pictures to my family right away because I was so excited! They served us Dutch strawberries, cheeses, and ham, which were really great. They made everything fresh, and served breakfast until noon. They weren't even mad when we showed up at 11:30 or 11:40. :)

The location was good too. Near Nieuwmarkt, which was nice to go out for drinks at night. Relaxing atmosphere.

I would highly recommend this hotel, and I will definitely stay here again when returning to Amsterdam :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Weekend to get a look in Amsterdam. Booked on line and found the location good for what we wanted. Near the red light district and the main train station and center of town. Big beds, good breakfast and friendly enough. Amsterdam is the dogs.... cafes and bikes. Coming back for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My beautiful Russian girlfriend and I stayed here and fell in love with each other and Amsterdam all at once.

The rooms are amazing and our view was over the channel and it was so perfect.

The location is so central you can simply walk everywhere.

Nothing beats a no rush romantic morning knowing that a hand cooked incredible breakfast is available to refuel until midday :-)

The hosts are fantastic and make you not only feel at home but part of their family.

Well done guys!

Thank you for making our first time in Amsterdam amazing. We will be back and are telling everyone we know to stay with you.

Room Tip: Channel view rooms are simply amazing!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Brilliant small hotel. Location is good, it is close to the red light district but it was absolutely fine, don't let that put you off. I felt extremely safe there, and even walking around the red light district in general. The hotel is unusual but very cleverly designed to make the most of the space available.

We had a front room overlooking the canal, it wasn't at all noisy. The owners were very accommodating especially Rachel who was just lovely and is a born host! We had good conversations about food and music.

The breakfasts were fab, really good to start your day. I can still taste that Gouda cheese with cumin and the fresh bread. It just had a lovely feel and atmosphere - would absolutely recommend and return.

Room Tip: We had a front facing canal room, wasn't at all noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to misc eatdrinksleep? Share your experiences!