“SO convenient and comfy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of misc eatdrinksleep

Save Saved
You added misc eatdrinksleep to your Saves list
misc eatdrinksleep
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kloveniersburgwal 20, Amsterdam 1012 CV, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Special offer for YOU!
Ranked #21 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Salt Lake City
“SO convenient and comfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I've stayed here before, except this time they've added air conditioning to the front room I stayed in. The air conditioning was more than adequate at keeping the room cool, which meant I could keep the large canal view windows closed. As a result there were no summertime mosquitoes in my room and it was much, much quieter than if I had to keep the windows open.

Besides that, the breakfast was cooked-to-order anytime before noon...a great way to start the day. Exactly when and how I wanted it. Rachel and Pepijn are always helpful with directions, attractions, bookings, and insider recommendations to restaurants off the beaten path.

And at the end of the day when I've forgotten to pick up a few things at the Albert Hijn, there's a nice fridge with free goodies in it along with free wifi to help make plans for the next day. =)

Well done...again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal side are larger, have air conditioning, and have excellent canal views. Rooms on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

In 2007 I stayed at Hotel Misc for the first time, and for the last six years I could never imagine staying anywhere else. I can't say enough about this hotel and most of all, the owners, Rachel and Pepeijn, They are largely responsible for the way I feel about Amsterdam and the reason I go there so frequently. I usually travel alone and they provide a truly safe and comfortable haven for me. There is just no substitute for the kind of hospitality and personal attention I receive every single time I visit. But I’ll give you a few. During one of my most recent visits (February 2013) I was staying at one of Rachel and Pepeijn’s rental apartments and I got very ill about two days after my arrival. When I told Rachel, she hopped on her bike and brought me a bag full of supplies so that I didn’t have to venture out to the grocery store. On multiple occasions (in fact, I have a habit of doing this), I decide to extend my trip by one or two days and if the hotel and apartments are booked, Rachel & Pepeijn make it their business to find me a place to stay that is near them and reasonably priced. They simply take their guests’ comfort and satisfaction extremely seriously and they will do whatever it takes to make you feel like you are home.

As for the more practical reasons why I stay at Misc…

Location: The hotel is centrally located and only a two minute walk from the Niewmarkt Square Metro station and about 15 minutes walking distance from Central Station. The Red Light District (RLD) is just a city block over and unlike what some may think or say, it is extremely safe. In fact, you don’t even notice how close you are to the RLD until you just bump into it. I’ve walked through it many times and I’ve never had any problems. In fact, it’s quite entertaining.

Rooms: I've stayed in almost every room available and each of them is unique and full of charm. The mini fridge is a great plus. It’s stocked daily with snacks, water, soft drinks, and beer; all FREE. And as a woman, I always appreciate and love the beautiful and unique fresh flower arrangement in each room. Depending on the time of year, the canal view rooms are a bit more noisy than the garden view rooms. But if you go on new years or Queens Day, like I did, you should expect that anywhere you stay. On the flip side, you have a front row seat to the street parties and excellent people watching. I guess it’s all about how you chose to look at it.

Breakfast: This is honestly one of my favorite things about the hotel. The breakfast is delicious. Freshly squeezed orange juice, eggs made to order, ham, bacon, cheeses, freshly baked breads and croissants, and a lot more. You almost don’t even need to eat lunch. The dining area is quaint and a great place to meet the other hotel guests. It truly feels like a small community.

Tours/Activities: Rachel and Pepijn can and have arranged all kinds of tours on my behalf, including a canal boat tour and getting museum tickets. They also have their very own Hotel Misc bikes that you can use to explore the city. **Ask Pepijn about the best apple pie in town...

In closing, I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon this little gem of a hotel, Rachel and Pepeijn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Haydock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed for a week over New Year 2012/13 with my wife and had the most excellent holiday! We have stayed in Amsterdam maybe 15-20 times before but not previously stayed at Misc - now we can't imagine staying anywhere else. If you don't get Pepijn it's because you didn't take a few minutes to get his bone-dry sense of humour - the man is a star! Rachel had only recently had a baby before our stay so Pepijn was doing most of the front-of-house and we loved him (and Rachel of course!). A more helpful couple you could not find anywhere. They booked restaurants for us, gave us a bottle of cava on New Year's Eve, didn't care that we came down for breakfast at about one minute to midday each day and were just wonderful from start to finish. We couldn't wait to book again and will be back this New Year for another week of joy!

Room Tip: Close a garden room if you want to sleep well, although don't expect to sleep before 2am on New...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Letchworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Having read a few reviews i get what they mean about the owner, unlike a plastic hotel you get to be with a real people who sometimes are a little quiet and sometimes friendly and approachable. But I would absolutely recommend this Hotel if you want to experience Amsterdam.

When we booked we indicated we would be arriving late. Thanks to the trains from Berlin to Amsterdam being badly disrupted we could not have realised how late. But this is what real personal service looks like. They checked to see most of the trains were late and rang us to let us know they would still be open and to check which train we were on. When we arrived at 02:00 in the morning we were directed on the phone through a bustling Amsterdam the short walk to the Hotel. When we found a small bottle of Prosecco by the bed the challenging evening getting to Amsterdam was forgotten. A small touch but a moment of brilliance and knowing just what a weary traveler wants.

There is no getting away from it, just a short distance from the Hotel is the red light district. It isn't threatening it is quite open and if you aren't expecting it to be there you clearly have never read anything about Amsterdam. The combination of Amsterdam, the style and feel of the Hotel gives is a real Bohemian atmosphere.

The room we stayed in was clean enough (apart from the inevitable mosquito splats on the ceiling) The breakfast was great both days we stayed but delivered with a bit of attitude on the second morning when it felt like the normal chef hadn't bothered to arrive and the owner clearly would rather have still been in bed.

If you want a great couples break, to feel part of the nightlife and to have an adventure this is just what you are looking for. For families and people who need a perfect manufactured smile in an anodyne hotel room stay somewhere else away from the heart of the real Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and loved it. The place has a lovely feel to it, a luxurious feel but really comfortable. The breakfast is amazing and the owners very nice. The location is very good and it was lovely to have a canal view room.

• Stayed August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The start of the vacation was a disaster, we had arranged a taxi to pick us up from the Amsterdam train station through the hotel, and could not get my cel phone on so couldn't find our driver. When we finally got to the hotel we were greeted by the owner with shouts and questions regarding the taxi, demanding to know why our phone wasn't on and if we had read the instructions he had sent (please note that his shouting went on for about 5min), I couldn't believe what was happening, I mean yes in fact my phone wasn't working and then all of this happened but why is this man shouting at us? Let me tell you that this ruined the vacation, everyday when we had to come downstairs for breakfast this guy would serve us and bang the dishes on our table, if we asked for something he wouldn't answer, overall a TERRIBLE HOST, very rude, impolite and has no idea what it means to work in the service industry. We feel sorry for his poor wife because you can tell that she is subdued and does not dare to stand up to this horrible man. I would not recommend this hotel not only for this but for the following reasons:
1. Location is not the best, you are in a very tacky part of town, you really do not want to sleep here.
2. Place not clean. The shower curtain had a big bit of snot on it which was quite disgusting and has never happened to me before.
3. Cost. They really are charging you for a 4 star experience and you actually receive a 1.5 stars. The place is more like a hostel than a hotel.

If you are thinking of staying here, don't.

Oh, and by the way, the guy couldn't even say that he was sorry, he instead decided not to charge for the taxi fare, which in his brain he figured it was enough apology, man, it is not.

Don't even answer to this review with lame excuses of why you are miserable. Instead try to get and anger management course and some service courses. The customer should feel welcome in your establishment, you are not making us any favors. This is the problem when you pay in advance to the stay, you take us for granted.

Guys, read other people reviews - this guy's attitude ruining vacations has happened before...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
misc-eatdrinksleep, Owner at misc eatdrinksleep, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We appreciate all feedback, and are genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at misc eatdrinksleep.

Although you asked for us not to respond to your review, I feel it is necessary due to the nature and the tone of your accusations. Excuse the length of the reply, but I would like to comment on the points you made and provide clarity as to the events that took place.

Upon your arrival at the hotel, you were welcomed in, and yes, then asked why you were not able to meet the executive taxi you had arranged and confirmed. As a matter of policy, we routinely ask guests for feedback on all our services (including car pick up) so we can continue to improve and make sure to provide better service to future guests. I would like to be clear that at no time, did I or anyone else ever shout at you for any length of time.

I then had to inform you that you would still be responsible for the car pick up service fee, as it was not a failure on our part and the driver waited for you at the airport for over two hours. In fact, you confirmed via email that you received and understood the instructions on how to find the driver once you arrived at the airport (what to do when your cell phone is not working also gets explained), but instead you choose to take a train.

It was not my intention to make you feel uncomfortable by asking what went wrong or advising you of the penalty, nor did I feel it was inappropriate, as this is a common business practice among hotels everywhere and the penalty was clearly stated in our email. I’m sorry that you feel this ruined your holiday. I should point out, however, that at that moment I did in fact apologize to you for the fact that I had made you uncomfortable, and we even gifted you a bottle of champagne as a gesture of good will which you gladly accepted.

I would like to also clarify that the reason you were not ultimately charged for the taxi, is because you left the hotel without checking out. In fact, when I ran after you to finalize the details, I decided not to drag you back to the hotel for the taxi payment. My decision to not charge you was not an admission of responsibility for what had happened; I did it mostly for your convenience.

In regards to the issue with the shower curtain, I am truly sorry to hear about this. It is very unfortunate indeed and I wish you would have notified us to give us the opportunity to rectify the problem immediately.

In your review you also mention that our hotel felt more like a hostel to you and that you had a problem with paying in advance. Let me please emphasize that you were not obliged to pay in advance. In our online booking engine we simply offer the possibility of either paying in advance or paying at the hotel at check out. The choice is up to you when you make your reservation.

If you would have indicated to us that you were not enjoying your stay with us and/or that we didn’t live up to your expectations, we would have gladly refunded the remainder of your balance and helped you find a more appropriate hotel. We would have even arranged for our driver to pick you up and take you to the other hotel completely free of charge.

As for your opinion of our neighborhood, I can say with all confidence that the vast majority of our guests and the millions of visitors that pass through Amsterdam every year would respectfully disagree with your assessment. The hotel is located in the heart of the old city center and on one of Amsterdam’s wider and oldest canals just off of Nieuwmarkt square. We are surrounded by some of Amsterdam’s oldest churches, a 15th century city gate, and are walking distance to all of the major attractions. I’m sorry you were not able to appreciate the city’s history, charm and beautiful architecture.

In regards to the comments you made about my lovely wife, Rachel, neither of us took kindly to the personal and insulting manner in which you refer to her in your review, but I will leave it up to her to respond to you:

“I have no idea why this guest felt it necessary to post such hurtful and completely ridiculous comments like this about me. We did everything we could to make this guest’s stay as enjoyable as possible. The only reason anyone should feel sorry for me is for having to deal with hostile and disrespectful guests, especially when I could have better spent my time with our beautiful and sweet-natured 10 month old baby. At the moment the world is a magical and beautiful place. She is really a joy and we try to surround her with positive examples and energy.

Kind regards,

The incredibly strong-willed and fierce ‘wife’ (if I do say so myself),
Rachel Bonnewell
co-owner/manager
misc eatdrinksleep”

I would like to close this with stating the following: we are a small boutique hotel (only six rooms) with the heart of a hotel giant. We take immense pride in offering care and personal service to each one of our guests. Your happiness and enjoyment of the city is what we strive for. I hope that this experience doesn’t deter you from visiting our wonderful city in the future.

Kind regards,

Pepijn van Beusekom
co-owner/manager
misc eatdrinksleep
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

From the minute I walked in, you could tell the owners 'get' what travellers want, through the little touches. Mini bar - free with a variety of non-alcoholic. Bed - comfortable. Toiletries - quality. Towels - large and fluffy. Snacks - free. Coffee machine in room. Breakfast, included and not over the top. You felt you were a guest and not a cash stream. Once you are booked, no extra charges.
Location is central to trams and train station. Walking is easy too - I covered 5-10k most days. Yes, it's close to de wallen, but that's only two blocks of British louts and Japanese tour groups.

And if you're lucky you might meet the littlest host - she's a real cutie.

Highly recommended. I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to misc eatdrinksleep? Share your experiences!