Spent 3 nights at the Misc in November 2012. A treat for my birthday, we paid around €400 for our visit.
The first great thing about the Misc is its fantastic location. Just steps from Nieuwmarkt, 2 minutes from the Red Light District and a stroll to Dam Square, it's a brilliant place to base yourself. Nieuwmarkt is a great place to head out for a night - plenty of lovely bars and places to eat.
Misc is a traditional canal house, so it's narrow, with one hell of a staircase - mobility is necessary to get up to the rooms! But we liked its charm and cosiness.
We stayed in the Africa room. Right at the top of the house. Great views over the canal, this was a really sweet room - fab decor (a bit worn in places) - but a comfy bed, TV with UK channels and the fabled free mini bar (which didn't get refilled when we were there but no matter, it's a nice touch). The bathroom and loo were tiny - but very clean.
Breakfasts were yummy, the lovely man cooking them was charming and we loved his cappuccinos and scrambled egg making skills! Nice little touches made brekkie fun, like the magazines and guide books all around the breakfast room.
The only downside was the noise. I'm not a light sleeper but the traffic, shouts from the street, etc, seemed to be magnified even 3 floors up! I slept quite badly. But this is an old house, no double glazing, and you're in the middle of the city, what can you do. Take earplugs and the room has a white noise machine, which is useful! And hearing the church bells is lovely in the morning.
Didn't get to meet the owners apart from on the last morning but the guys we did meet were great hosts and I'm not fussed about meeting the people who own B&Bs anyway. Nice to be able to come and go as you please, which you can at the Misc. Kitkat (the house cat) was there to welcome us when we came in a lot of the time!
All in all, really liked it here. Might ask for a room at the back of the house next time (quieter?) but had a great stay and loved feeling like we were living in the heart of old Amsterdam.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Misc eatdrinksleep is a lovely little hideaway located on a wide canal, close to the picturesque Nieuwmarkt Square, in the heart of the historic city centre of Amsterdam. This modernized 17th-century canal house features just six personally styled rooms. Each is a unique mix of style, charm and practicality, and overlooks either the canal or a fetching Amsterdam secret garden. We offer exceptional hospitality for the cultural pilgrim, the hopeless romantic and weary business traveler alike. We hope that our unique canal house hotel becomes your home away from home in Amsterdam! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and HotelsNL so you can book your misc eatdrinksleep reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Misc Eatdrinksleep Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep Hotel Amsterdam