“Personal boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of misc eatdrinksleep

You added misc eatdrinksleep to your Saves list
misc eatdrinksleep
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kloveniersburgwal 20, 1012 CV Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #22 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo, Norway
“Personal boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Chic rooms, cheap rates, situated in downtown Amsterdam and with friendly owners (?) treating everybody like an oldtime friend... No wonder why they're nearly always full. The Misc is a great place to stay. Thanks for the experience!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were looking for a hotel within walking distance of the train station and centrally located this hotel was perfect for both. The main tourist attractions are about a ten min walk away and it is just around the corner from the red light district also a few doors down from an amazing Thai restaurant and 5 min walk to china town. Room was spacious as was bathroom but very steep stairs to third floor but worth it when we got there! Room was beautiful with lovely big windows only one tiny complaint was that the chandelier had not seen a duster for a very long time! Mini bar was full of drinks and snacks which was very welcome and the bed and bedding very clean and good quality, slept very well. Wonderful breakfast in the morning searved till 12. Would highly recommend and i normally would not consider a 2 star but this place was fab.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Great localization, warm reception, wondeful service, excellent rooms! We strongly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I initially chose this hotel based on its location, reviews, and price. This was my first trip to Amsterdam so I wanted to stay near the hustle and bustle of the city without being overwhelmed. Misc really fit the bill. It’s located on a bustling canal with a number of great restaurants and bars just up the block. The red light district and a number of tourist attractions are a quick stroll away, and to move farther afield there is a metro station across the canal. We couldn’t have asked for a better place to start our travels through the city.

The hotel itself was fantastic. We stayed in the baroque room at the top of the house. It was much larger than we expected and the bathroom was huge. Both were clean and in great condition, the room also comes equipped with a mini fridge filled with interesting snacks and a variety of drinks which was nice to find. I do a bit of travelling in the US for work and did not have high hopes for the mini bar, but I’m happy to say I was pleasantly surprised to find nice chocolates, juices, along with soda, wine, chips and beer. The room had a few large, beautiful windows that we could open. Since we happened to be there on an especially warm weekend in early May we made good use of them. We slept with them open most nights and had no problems with noise (not that I expected any but I read someone had been complaining about this earlier and wanted to note that we were there on a beautiful spring weekend and did not have any problems with it… honestly we didn’t hear much at all from the street.)

We spent time interacting with both Rachel & Pepjin (the innkeepers) during our stay. Rachel is extremely friendly and was really helpful in planning out some of our wanderings / excursions throughout the city. I notice that some folks thought that Pepjin was a bit gruff but we found him to be open and approachable. He did the majority of the cooking while we were there and the breakfasts were great, everything was fresh and delicious - bread & coffee, had-squeezed juices, along with a variety of yogurts, fruits, eggs, cheeses, and meats… there was plenty for just about any palate.

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately a long weekend wasn’t quite enough time to see everything we wanted but both agreed that Misc would be at the top of our list of hotels when we return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Thank You Trip Advisor for helping us to find this great hotel.
Dont be put off by the quirky name. This is not your normal Tourist Chain hotel. It is a boutique hotel in a great location in Nieuwmarkt. Amsterdam is a very walkable city and Misc eatdrinksleep is an excellent base for an Amsterdam visit. The Niewmarkt district is very central and has great restaurants, bars and shopping. An easy 8 minute walk to Dam Square, 2 minute walk to Chinatown and about 10 minute walk to the main rail station and harbour. The Red Light district is located on a canal behind Chinatown, but there is absolutely no issues in staying at this hotel. The hotel is located on a canal which is quiet, safe and delightful.
Each hotel room is individually themed and decorated and very comfortable. It has the normal steep and narrow staircase of an Amsterdam Canal House, but your luggage is quickly carried upstairs to your room - and downstairs again on departure.
We had a canal view room and were not disappointed. Did not experience any noise at night, but our four night stay was not over a weekend. The free mini bar in the room is a bonus.
The included breakfast is individually prepared for you each morning including eggs, bacon, ham and continental as required. And very good coffee.
If you are coming from the airport, take advantage of their limo transfer service - fair pricing, clean car and driver provides a short tour of the city on the way to the hotel.
Owners Rachel and Pepjin are friendly and helpful and enjoy hosting you in their boutique hotel.
Very good all round value in an excellent location.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a canal view and although we did not experience any street noise, other reports men...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We booked this hotel for a 4 night stay because of reviews on TripAdvisor and were very happy with our choice. It is in a great location - a short walk from the main train staion and all the sights we wanted to visit. We had a canal view room on the top floor and it was very large and comfortable with the free Minibar being a definate plus. It was a bit noisy but not too bad and didn't disturb our sleep. Being on the top floor our room was quite hot so we had to keep the windows open all the time -there is no airconditioning. I notice all the other reviewers mentioning how friendly and helpful the hosts were - this was a bit of a disappointment - we hardly saw Rachel and Pepjin we found quite gruff and not very friendly at all. When I asked for some places he recommended he just replied - I don't know what you want so how would I know what to tell you ? - I was a bit disappointed after the reviews mentioning their friendliness. Gabriel was obliging and helpful but very quiet. All in all we were happy with this choice but probably not as thrilled as some other reviewers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Well, my trip to Amsterdam wouldn't be so perfect if I wasn't at MISC hotel.

LOCATION = Just the best you can get. You can go walking to any place of Amsterdam (Centrum, Rembrandplein, Waterloo, Leidsplein, Joordan, Dam Square, Red Light, etc). But with a plus: its street is a beautiful canal street and very silently. So you have a peaceful place in the heart of Amsterdam. And to be honest, it was the most beautiful canal I found in Amsterdam. I reached the hotel came walking from Central Station in 15 minutes.

STAFF = Again, just what you would dream of. Rachel and Pepijn (the owners) are very very kind, they talk with you about everything, give you precious tips, are available to help you anytime and with anything. And I cannot mention also the super Gabriel, who did all of our breakfast, carry lug ages, etc. Without this guy Misc wouldn't be the same neither.

ROOMS = I got a room facing the Canal as I asked, in the floor I asked (1st floor) I thought it could be a little noisy but I was wrong, everything you can hear is the beautiful bells of the South Church (our protector in this trip :) ) . The beds are really nice and big, the room designs and creativity are awesome and you have EVERYTHING a 5 star hotel would offer you, from an iron, till speedy wi-fi, very spacious safe, etc. Plus a Nespresso Machine with Chocolate and 3 kinds of Coffee and a Mini Bar with free beverages, beers, chocolates, candies, snacks, etc.

SHOWER = I need to make a specific topic about this. Why? Because it was the BEST shower I ever took in my life!!!!! I am dreaming with it again, seriously. I am intending to buy something like that to my house. It was just wonderful and with products by RITUALS, which I knew there and been to their store and bought almost everything from them! What a shower!!!!!

BREAKFAST = You can expect to have a great hot or cold chocolate, black coffee, different breads kinds, 3 or 4 kinds of cheese, 2 kinds of jelly, orange juice, eggs, etc....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to misc eatdrinksleep? Share your experiences!