“booking cancelled...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast

You added PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Nicolaas Witsenkade t/o 17, 1017 ZW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #74 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“booking cancelled...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

not sure what is going on with this place.

I made a booking through Venere.com for Aug 2010, and asked if the houseboat would be available for just us, or would we have to share. A reasonable question I think given that the details are not clear.

My booking was canceled within hours with no explanation. Judging from the other comments/complaints, this is not rare for this place!

Stop wasting our time and add some more detailed information on your website!

Stayed April 2010
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Dear Sir / Maám,

This is to inform you that you booked the Hotel Booking Agency and I have the right to decline or reject the booking within 48 Hours if I'm fully booked. Meaning once you booked online it's not yet a guarantee that your booking is confirmed since I'm checking my E-Mail within 48 Hours specially those booking coming from other booking agencies.

Anyway, it's true that I live in the houseboat but my Guests can choose the accommodation wether private bathroom or shared bathroom.

Suggestion to the next Guests please book directly to my website.

Anyway if it's my fault please accept my apology.

Sincerely yours,

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
silver spring, md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

It's very interesting staying on a houseboat-don't confuse it with staying in a hotel. You are in charge of your surroundings, your meals, and you have to clean up after yourself, which we did not find to be an issue. There is a breakfast included option, but we were more interested in trying things in the city. You can walk to many places and if you don't want to, there are trams nearby. It's kind of fun when the canal cruises pass by the window and the tourists take picures of you, the other tourists! The owner is a very nice and personable fellow and very willing to give advice on sights to see and will take the time to show you on a map where the sights are and how to get there. You have access to the internet, but no printer. Since this is not a hotel, I have to say that I would not recommend it, but only because most of my friends would prefer to be waited on rather than take care of themselves. If I were to recommend it to the public, I probably would say yes, but know what you are getting into - it's definitely not a hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We made our reservation with the agreement we would have the entire houseboat to ourselves. I had read all the reviews and was hesitant but went ahead and made sure I received the "confirmation" form from the owner. In January I got an email requesting our flight information. Not two weeks later, I got another email requesting the same. I was told his "secretary" sent the second email and to ignore it. A week later we received an email advising that renting the whole houseboat to ourselves was no longer an option citing there was a new policy in Amsterdam that requires the owner to stay on the houseboat during our stay. I could find nothing online to support this explanation.
Needless to say, we cancelled our reservation. It appears the owner has his reasons for needing to stay on his own boat but the explanation he gave seems very suspect to me. I prefer dealing with honest businesses. I know the owner will respond to this. It will be interesting to see what he writes.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Efrin is a great host and his property is located on a quiet tree lined street next to a very pretty canal. It is very clean and cozy for solo travelers, couples with or without kids. It has a full kitchen, laundry and is located within walking distance of the trams, museums, canal boats, and lots of good restaurants and nightlife. The refrigerator is stocked with food for breakfast and lunch, and there are three markets close by. I have stayed here twice in the last year and it is a great value for Amsterdam. Not a luxury property, but very clean and well located in a safe area convienant to everything.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

(I use the second person so that you, the reader, may easily take my experience as yours)

The houseboat was a fantastic place to stay. If you are looking for peace and quiet amidst the sinful city of Amsterdam, Efren's Phildutch houseboat is a highly recommended place for you. First of, the area surrounding the house was a very tranquil and peaceful neighborhood, surrounded by ducks and swans, and lovely locals. Secondly, not like the central district, there aren't any tourists walking the area, so you wouldn't be bothered by any sporadic disturbances by wasted tourists. Thirdly, unlike ordinary hotels/hostels, you are the only one and whoever is with you that occupies the houseboat. So, you get all the privacy that you want.

As for the distance between the central district and the houseboat, it takes you 15-20 minute walk. There is a tram station nearby, but I would recommend that you take a walk instead as it would let you see the great structures surrounding the city, and discover other places you rarely see in the city brochures. The famous Heineken brewery is just a five minute walk from the houseboat. If you want a cheap resto where you could take-out food, there is a five minute walk cheap Chinese resto near the house; though it is cheap, the food was really fantastic.

As for the amenities, it has everything that you could ask for - complete kitchen facilities, washing machine, superb and huge bathroom, high-speed internet connection, telephone, clean bedroom, television with cable connection, and entertainment system. What more could you ask for? There is even a veranda where you could smoke, and enjoy the lovely breeze while watching the ducks and swan go by the lake, and sometimes tourists on hop-on-hop-off boats.

Finally, Sir Efren, the host was really a great and fantastic lad. He was very hospitable and very friendly. He makes it a point that he has provided you with all that you need on your stay in his houseboat. He gives you free maps and gives you helpful tips in touring the city.

All-in-all, the houseboat gave us a really superb stay in Amsterdam. I highly recommend that you try this one for yourself.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

If you value privacy and peace and quiet this houseboat is great! All the family really appreciated the space adn facilities (we have a 9 and 16 year old so are a bit difficult to please!)

It should be mentioned that this houseoat is someone's home - but this had the advantage of making it superbly well equipped with wifi and TV and all sorts of things in the drawers (scissors, glue) good for our daughter to stick and make things with!

If you haven't stayed in a houseboat the very gentle rocking and sense of being on the river and the ducks and swans are brilliant.

It was our first stay in Amsterdam with the kids and location and tram stop, park, museums in walking distance was great.

Thanks to Efran for his concern for us and also to his friend who filled us in on the locality and welcomed us with coffee even though we arrived an hour early!

Stay in a houseboat anytime over a hotel in Amsterdam for value for money and for the experience!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
duesseldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

it looked lived-in, but not in the good way. laundry from the owner was in the machine the entire stay (three nights.) the kitchen was clean-ish but the bathroom could have been more tidy. it wasn't bad and it wasn't expensive but i won't be returning.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Dear Guests,

We always make it appoint that before you check in the whole houseboat is clean. It's up to my guests to maintain the cleanliness of my Houseboat during their stay . It's just like your 2nd home and you have to keep my houseboat organize.

Actually I didn't complain at all because when we arrived in the houseboat to check and to clean the place it was totally messed and filty. I don't know what did you do ? But again I never complain because it's part of my business anyway.

PhilDutch Owner

Been to PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!