“Warmly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Nicolaas Witsenkade t/o 17, 1017 ZW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #69 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Dublin, Ireland
“Warmly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a perfect base for a relaxed stay in Amsterdam. It is well located and Efren is a pleasure to deal with - helpful and friendly but not in the least intrusive. I would recommend trying to get the main bedroom as it has a small balcony.

Frank

Room Tip: get the room with balcony if possible
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had never visited Amsterdam before and wanted to stay somewhere in the centre but did not want to stay anywhere too noisy,. Efren's houseboat was the perfect choice. It's an ideal location - 10-15 minutes to most central things and it was idyllically quiet. Waking up to the sound of the dicks and swans was blissful! It is a lovely little boat with two rooms and a shared bathroom, The bigger room has a full kitchen with everything you need and access to the balcony. The smaller room has tea/toast making facilities but not much more. I would always go for the bigger room unless you are taking the whole boat. There is a supermarket on the other side of the canal,five minutes walk away. It couldn't be more perfect. Efren was there when we arrived and was extremely helpful but left us to our own devices. It was so nice to have a home from home to come back to at the end of a busy day! We will definitely stay there the next time we are in Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner Lee and I were traveling to Amsterdam on vacation and wanted someplace UNIQUE to stay. We discovered this wonderful houseboat called PhilDutch. We could not have been more pleased with HOW we were treated and all the comfort of home away from home. The owners could not have been more accommodating. We plan to return to Amsterdam in the future and can only HOPE that they will have a place for us again! We had the entire boat to ourselves and it felt like HOME! Highly recommend even though that may mean it's BOOKED the next time we get to Amsterdam ;-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were very much looking forward to staying on this houseboat. We booked all rooms on the boat (for our group) six months in advance and confirmed our booking one month before arrival in Amsterdam. Upon arrival we phoned the owner on the recommended contact number but were unable to make contact. We knocked on the door, waited patiently at the boat for an hour or so but still no luck. A little while later two ladies turned up and went inside . . . our houseboat was booked to someone else!!!
Luckily we were able to arrange alternate accommodation at the second local hotel we tried. We were told by the first hotel that this had happened quite a few times before. Good for other local business, but not for tired customers a long way from home. Naturally we were upset and sent an email to the owner. His email responses consisted of many excuses, then blatant lies about why there were people staying on the boat we had boked (at one stage they were tourists then in the next email they suddenly changed to being workers who were painting).
If you book make sure you are ready to change plans at very short notice!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

Thank you for the review even though it was negative.

With due respect you admitted that I apologized several times but you refused to accept my apology.

This is to inform you that I'm telling you the truth that somebody is busy doing the painting of my houseboat.

I don't understand why your saying that you can not reached my mobile phone where in fact everybody can call me any time they want ., and if just incase you can not call me? I always recommend to my guests to send me E-Mail.

I have 2 rooms in the houseboat and yes the other room was booked last minute because I don't know your arrival time.

Sometimes the double booking can be happen specially if you book the booking agency. Some booking agency are not properly coordinated with us. I suggest always use my own website.

Anyway, again I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm not blaming you for whatever because at the end I'm always on the side of my guests.

Sincerely yours,

E. Quintana
Owner
Tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I traveled solo to Amsterdam and was recommended this houseboat by my sister who had stayed there before. Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased to learn that I got the bigger room (complete with the kitchen area.) It was my first houseboat stay, and boy, was it an unforgettable experience! The view of the canal is so picturesque and in the early morning, when everything is still calm and quiet, one can truly savor the tranquility of the canal. The ducks and other birds come up to the window, so I recommend that guests bring some bread...oh, wait, actually, Efren, the houseboat owner, keeps a loaf of bread on hand for feeding the birds! The bathroom is clean and really big. The houseboat is very close to the center of things but located in a quiet neighborhood. You can walk to the Rijks and Van Gogh museums easily.
But the best part of my stay at Phildutch Houseboat was its owner, Efren! He was very, very helpful and friendly. He actually walked with me around the Red Light District at night since I was kind of worried to walk there by myself.
Overall, what sets Phildutch Houseboat apart is the personal touch. Efren makes you feel like family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Soignies, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I just returned home from a great stay at the PhilDutch Houseboat. We were a party of three so we rented the entire boat to ourselves. The boat has everything you could ever need. We were more than satisfied with the service and help we got from the owner. The boat is situated very close to the Heineken Experience as well as the city transit system. Downtown is just a 15-20 minutes walk or a quick tram/taxi ride if you're not up for the walk. It's too bad we didn't actually spend more time IN the houseboat as we were out in the city so much, but the ducks are always around looking for some bread.

Be aware. If you're planning to bring a vehicle with you and park it in the vicinity of the houseboat. Make sure that you have paid for parking as the Amsterdam parking authority are very eager to give out parking tickets. I'm talking about within five minutes of unloading my car I had a ticket. Not going to pay it, but annoying nevertheless.

Room Tip: There are two rooms. The larger one has the kitchenette, fridge and stove. The other is smaller an...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We were really looking foward to our stay here, however a week before our arrival I emailed to check our reservation and was informed that we were not booked to stay here at all. Unfortunately our reservation was 'lost' even after I provided all my details, including a credit card to secure the booking a month in advance.

We were offered the option to stay at a 'friends' B&B, however after such a dissapointment we opted to book somewhere else with an instaneous confirmation. Pays to always double-check your reservations.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
My PhilDutch Houseboat is perfect for your vacation, you can check the different videos in the internet to see the exact details of my PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast. I suggest that you have to go directly to my own website to avoid any problem. Some of the booking agencies are not officially connected with us. Any double booking or cancellations can be happen even in a 5 star Hotels. Again E-mail me directly or visit my phildutch website to avoid any problem in the future.

Been to PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!