“Beware!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Nicolaas Witsenkade t/o 17, 1017 ZW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #68 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“Beware!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were very much looking forward to staying on this houseboat. We booked all rooms on the boat (for our group) six months in advance and confirmed our booking one month before arrival in Amsterdam. Upon arrival we phoned the owner on the recommended contact number but were unable to make contact. We knocked on the door, waited patiently at the boat for an hour or so but still no luck. A little while later two ladies turned up and went inside . . . our houseboat was booked to someone else!!!
Luckily we were able to arrange alternate accommodation at the second local hotel we tried. We were told by the first hotel that this had happened quite a few times before. Good for other local business, but not for tired customers a long way from home. Naturally we were upset and sent an email to the owner. His email responses consisted of many excuses, then blatant lies about why there were people staying on the boat we had boked (at one stage they were tourists then in the next email they suddenly changed to being workers who were painting).
If you book make sure you are ready to change plans at very short notice!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

Thank you for the review even though it was negative.

With due respect you admitted that I apologized several times but you refused to accept my apology.

This is to inform you that I'm telling you the truth that somebody is busy doing the painting of my houseboat.

I don't understand why your saying that you can not reached my mobile phone where in fact everybody can call me any time they want ., and if just incase you can not call me? I always recommend to my guests to send me E-Mail.

I have 2 rooms in the houseboat and yes the other room was booked last minute because I don't know your arrival time.

Sometimes the double booking can be happen specially if you book the booking agency. Some booking agency are not properly coordinated with us. I suggest always use my own website.

Anyway, again I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm not blaming you for whatever because at the end I'm always on the side of my guests.

Sincerely yours,

E. Quintana
Owner

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I traveled solo to Amsterdam and was recommended this houseboat by my sister who had stayed there before. Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased to learn that I got the bigger room (complete with the kitchen area.) It was my first houseboat stay, and boy, was it an unforgettable experience! The view of the canal is so picturesque and in the early morning, when everything is still calm and quiet, one can truly savor the tranquility of the canal. The ducks and other birds come up to the window, so I recommend that guests bring some bread...oh, wait, actually, Efren, the houseboat owner, keeps a loaf of bread on hand for feeding the birds! The bathroom is clean and really big. The houseboat is very close to the center of things but located in a quiet neighborhood. You can walk to the Rijks and Van Gogh museums easily.
But the best part of my stay at Phildutch Houseboat was its owner, Efren! He was very, very helpful and friendly. He actually walked with me around the Red Light District at night since I was kind of worried to walk there by myself.
Overall, what sets Phildutch Houseboat apart is the personal touch. Efren makes you feel like family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Soignies, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I just returned home from a great stay at the PhilDutch Houseboat. We were a party of three so we rented the entire boat to ourselves. The boat has everything you could ever need. We were more than satisfied with the service and help we got from the owner. The boat is situated very close to the Heineken Experience as well as the city transit system. Downtown is just a 15-20 minutes walk or a quick tram/taxi ride if you're not up for the walk. It's too bad we didn't actually spend more time IN the houseboat as we were out in the city so much, but the ducks are always around looking for some bread.

Be aware. If you're planning to bring a vehicle with you and park it in the vicinity of the houseboat. Make sure that you have paid for parking as the Amsterdam parking authority are very eager to give out parking tickets. I'm talking about within five minutes of unloading my car I had a ticket. Not going to pay it, but annoying nevertheless.

Room Tip: There are two rooms. The larger one has the kitchenette, fridge and stove. The other is smaller an...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We were really looking foward to our stay here, however a week before our arrival I emailed to check our reservation and was informed that we were not booked to stay here at all. Unfortunately our reservation was 'lost' even after I provided all my details, including a credit card to secure the booking a month in advance.

We were offered the option to stay at a 'friends' B&B, however after such a dissapointment we opted to book somewhere else with an instaneous confirmation. Pays to always double-check your reservations.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
My PhilDutch Houseboat is perfect for your vacation, you can check the different videos in the internet to see the exact details of my PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast. I suggest that you have to go directly to my own website to avoid any problem. Some of the booking agencies are not officially connected with us. Any double booking or cancellations can be happen even in a 5 star Hotels. Again E-mail me directly or visit my phildutch website to avoid any problem in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for a few days in October. It was pretty easy to get to and from the train station by using the trams. Just get off as soon as you see the heineken brewery and walk down the road across the canal from the brewery and its a few minutes walk.

We has the larger half of the houseboat which had 2 twin beds, a kitchen area with a table where you can sit and wave at the tour boats going by on the canal. There is also an outside terrace that was nice to sit out on and feed the ducks. There is a shared large washroom but no one was in the other smaller side of the houseboat so we didnt have to share.

Everything was great during our stay and the owner was very pleasant and gave us a map and highlighted areas of interest for us which was greatly appreciated! We would definitely stay here again and for hopefully longer next time!

• Stayed October 2011
Taguig, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

The owner Efren is the epitome of the renowned Flipino hospitality. Upon arrival, without us asking, he immediately volunteered to be our photographer, posing us outside his very interesting houseboat and taking our photos with our cam and his. Turned out he made a short video clip of our photos and sent it to us thru email to commemorate our stay with him. He was very helpful with the sights to see and provided a free map and other brochures. His pushing us to visit Keukenhof which opens just a few wks in a yr is A+!

His houseboat is centrally located close to many sights. Public transport is just a few steps away, very very convenient. We especially enjoyed this once in a lifetime experience to stay in a houseboat. He even provided us bread to feed the ducks that would visit outside our window, we especially enjoyed this.

We stayed in a smaller room sharing a huuuuuge hotel-like bathroom with the renter of the bigger room. We were able to have a peek in the big room and it's equipped with a kitchen and a balcony to enjoy the sun, water and ducks. The only unusual thing we noticed was the somewhat louder-than-usual noise of the water being flushed away whenever someone uses the toilet, this is probably normal if your house is perched on top of the water. This didn't dampen our stay at all and we give Phildutch 5 stars for it's price, experience and hospitality!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Efren did a great job making sure we felt at home in his houseboat. He offered us a discount and we paid 100 Euros cash for our night. We got a full kitchen, very nice bathroom, computer access plus wifi for our phones. Feeding the swans was so fun! Efran provided us with a whole loaf to feed them. Great location too!

con: the bed wasn't very comfortable. It was a thin mattress and a bit too hard.

Otherwise a great stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to PhilDutch Houseboat Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!