“EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina
“EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

If you visit Amsterdam and can get a room at Boogard’s B&B you will be rewarded with a great location, a comfortable room, amazing breakfasts (not for those with small appetites!), delicious desserts waiting for you each night, and the perfect host in Peter. He is most accommodating and goes above and beyond for all of his guests. When he learned it was my birthday, he gave me a bottle of champagne and he even had our laundry done! Boogard’s is like a home away from home – only better!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Peter is a superb host. I felt more like a distant cousin than a tourist. With fantastic home cooked (including baked items) breakfasts, who could ask for a better start to a day of exploring Amsterdam. Every morning started out with exchanging experiences from the previous day and the day's plans with other guests over breakfast. Peter was always helpful by providing tips we might have missed without an insider's knowledge. I stayed in the Pug room. The bed was more comfortable than my bed at home. I slept like a rock. The hotel is beautifully decorated and has a great location. I would recommend this B&B to anyone going to Amsterdam. It made my trip. I had not stayed in a B&B in Europe for many years, and this experience completely changed my opinion.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We travel Europe and stay at many B&Bs. Boogaards was by far the best we have experienced. Why?? It begins with great online and phone communication before you even arrive!!! Peter makes you feel secure and answers all questions. Once there you receive a warm welcome, charming non smoking room with excellent bedding, superb breakfasts, joyful conversation , free internet, snacks to enjoy each day and all while you are staying in a magnificently renovated historical building! I can't forget to mention the bonus of 2 of the most well behaved Jack Russells I've ever seen!!! The reviews simply can't relate the extraordinary experience that awaits you if you are lucky enough to stay at Boogaards!! Yes, there are steep stairs but tha'ts part of the Amsterdam experience! Location , location, location, Boogaards is just minutes from the Centraal Station ( we walked with our suitcases) and close to the main canals so you can walk everywhere!!! The neighborhood is safe, quiet and lovely. After a short walk you can be in the center of Amsterdam with its hustle and bustle, Anne Frank's House or in a romantic restaurant along the canal!!!
Food! WOW!!! the breakfasts were different each day., Fresh Fruit, various cereals, breads, yogurt, coffee tea, juice, omelettes, pancakes and traditional dutch breakfasts, simply delicious and all prepared fresh by Peter!!!. For snacks, Nigellas Brownies, apple spice cake and dutch favorites!!! All placed in the common area along with refreshments!!! It made for a fine ending to each day!!! The common area between the 2 bedrooms is stylishly decorated with leather couches and antiques and provides comfortable place to sit, visit , check email or read the many travel books to plan your next day!!! As for our host Peter!!! Many have already said great things but I would like to add my impressions. Peter has lived and worked in the US. He has a great perspective and wonderful sense of humor. We so enjoyed our many conversations and were lucky to share our breakfasts with wonderful couples from various places! Peter took the time to share some personal information with all of us!!! We looked forward to our breakfast each morning and have many great moments to remember. I especially enjoyed the Mimosas for my birthday!! Peter is an excellent vocalist and if you're lucky you may catch him singing!!!!

Sleeping!!! Due to the comfortable bedding we were able to sleep soundly each night!!! The ensuite bathroom was excellent complete with hot water, toiletries and hair dryer. We had the Pug room and enjoyed a view of the street, the Jack Russell room in the rear was also lovely!!! Our room also included a TV, dresser and a chair. We never had to use the AC because the breezes at night were delightful. Peter was full of Amsterdam suggestions and we were not disappointed!!! We attended local markets and great restaurants. As you can tell this was truly our most memorable B&B experience in Amsterdam. We feel so lucky to have experienced Boogaards and hope to return one day!!!! Fellow Americans please don't be afraid of BNB's!!! Once you stay at Boogaards you'll never use a hotel in Amsterdam!!!! We hope you will be lucky enough to book Boogaards for a truly divine Amsterdam Experience!!!! Here's to Boogaards BNB!!! What every BNB should strive to be!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

It was my first time traveling to Europe alone and was really looking forward to staying here. I booked Boogaard's about 10 months ago, so the stay was highly anticipated. My flight arrived early Thursday morning and upon wandering along the streets and with the help of some wonderful Dutch strangers, I stumbled onto Boogaard's B&B. (For the record, his place is not hard to find at all, I had time to kill and wandered the streets like crazy til I got eternally lost). He is situated on the loveliest of streets, eternally quiet and literally just a simple 5 minute walk to the center of it all, a walk that became extremely route and comfortable to me. A left out of Peter's, a right onto the Brouwersgracht and there I was on the Singel, cafe on the corner to the left, Centraal Station beyond that in plain sight, and the entire city was in the palm of my hand in just a matter of minutes. So from a location spot, it's hard to do any better. Yet the coziness and quietness of the Langestraat, where Boogard's is located is, makes you feel so removed. It's really lovely.

So I got to the B&B around 9:40 and could see the current guests having breakfast. Peter welcomed me in after ringing the bell, he let me drop my bags and offered me a cup of coffee and even offered me some food from his incredible breakfast spread across the table, even though I hadn't even checked in yet. I was there waiting for a private tour of the city with Martin Ribbens, a nice Dutch man who has lived in Amsterdam his entire life and is very good friends with Peter. I highly recommend you consider Martin in your travels. I was given the perfect introduction to Amsterdam and Martin's enthusiasm for his city is like none other. Next to my stay at Boogaard's, Martin's tour was the highlight of my trip. Well-worth your time.

So I had the perfect tour and I truly stayed at the perfect place. You read the other reviews here and there's mention of how it feels like staying with family. I wasn't sure people were just gushing or it was the truth, but by the end of my stay (I spent three nights there) I knew exactly what people meant. I did feel like I had spent time with family, like I truly made a great connection. Peter extends himself so graciously and with the most wonderful hospitality you could ever imagine. My room was incredible, I had a nice private sitting area for me and the other guest on the floor - with coffee maker, mini fridge stocked with drinks and whatever Peter felt like baking that day, in my case it was the most heavenly chocolate mousse cake ever. There was a very comfortable leather couch and chairs to sit in and found myself there pretty much every morning, writing in my journal and planning my day ahead, while enjoying a cup of coffee. A laptop was also there for use, I ended up just using the free WiFi through my iPhone, but it was comforting to know the laptop was there to use if I needed it. Hey, it's nice to have options, right? And his dogs, Pepe and Curly, were wonderful company as well in the morning at breakfast time. As I travelled with just a simple backpack, he even offered to do my laundry and as I brought it down in the laundry bag provided within the armoire in my room, I had my nice fresh-smelling clothes ready by the evening and was squared away for the rest of my trip. Sunday morning before checkout, after just another marvelous breakfast (seriously, a breakfast here and you're well set for the rest of the day), Peter and I just spent the whole morning talking. Another lasting memory.

I could go on and on about my stay here. He is simply the best for a reason. You'd be doing yourself quite a disservice of missing out on this gem of a B&B. The location, the ambience and the hospitality you get here - you simply can't find anywhere better in Amsterdam

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed at Boogaards B and B for 3 nights as a stopover on our way to Africa. Peter was a delightful host and we felt right at home right away even though our home is nothing like a 400 year old house in central Amsterdam! Peter provided everything we needed - advice when we requested it as well as the privacy we are accustomed to, wonderful breakfasts and homemade snacks, and very comfortable accommodations. Breakfast was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed both Peter's cooking and the conversation with the other guests and Peter. We have never stayed at a B and B before, and I'm afraid Peter has set the bar way, way high.

My husband said he drank skim milk when Peter asked if there was anything in particular we lneeded. Even though whole milk is the norm in Europe, Peter was able to find him low fat milk and put it in our refrigerator for him.

Our room was large enough (they run small in Amsterdam) and we appreciated the private bathroom. We stayed in the back of the house and it was extrememly quiet. The B and B is in a great location and we were able to walk to restaurants and all the sites. Speaking of which, Peter will recommend places matched to your interests whether that be museums or the party scene.

I would route a trip through Amsterdam just so I would have another opportunity to stay at this gem.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

A very engaging and helpful host who served generous breakfasts and great baked goods. A large bedroom with attached sitting room made this a good value and memorable stay. On charming, quiet street.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
sunshine_seeker1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Not normally the B&B type but I couldn't have been happier with our decision to stay @ Boogaards during our stay in Amsterdam. The location was perfect, the food was excellent and Peter was delightful! It's all in the details...laptops and pre-paid cell phones for guest use, laundry service, dinner recommendations and reservations, and fresh baked treats every afternoon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!