“A gem in so many ways.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Pieter Jacobszstraat 21, 1012 HL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Offers & Announcements
€115 (EUR)
Ranked #2 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A gem in so many ways.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Boogaard's website uses the slogan 'worth writing home about' and that just about sums it up. We could not fault the stunning accommodation, position and service. Peter is the ultimate host, offering sound advice, enthusiastic conversation and warm hospitality. And let us not forget his skills in the kitchen! Breakfasts are a true treat with surprises at every turn. Luckily walking is a pleasure in beautiful Amsterdam and we didn't feel too wicked tucking into the culinary delights. Thank you, Peter, for a most amazing stay!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Amsterdam thanks to our stay at Boogaards.
Peter was a wonderful host and made us feel like we were part of the family from the outset.
Nothing was too much trouble. We have never stayed anywhere quite like Boogaards - we loved it. We stayed in the Pug Room on the third floor - the stairs are quite steep but we did not find them a problem. The bedroom had a lovely shared sitting room with a small kitchen. Tea/coffee were laid out for us to help ourselves together with soft drinks left in the fridge. There was also homemade cakes - a lovely surprise.
The breakfasts cooked by Peter were delicious and very filling. It was a very enjoyable start to the day sitting around the kitchen table chatting and being entertained by the very well behaved dogs - Peppe & Curly. We could not manage to eat one of the two quiches Peter had made for breakfast on our first morning's stay - Peter wrapped it up for us to put in our fridge and we had it for lunch later on in the day with a glass of wine - delicious.
Peter also recommended restaurants where we could eat in the evenings - one of which was an Indonesian Restaurant which we really enjoyed. Peter booked this one for us (the restaurant were turning people away who hadn't booked).
GUIDED TOUR - My husband and I booked a 3 hour walking guided tour of the city with a local man - Martin Ribbens. We booked this tour through Boogaard's website. Martin is a very knowledgeable, amusing guide and we thought well worth the money. We would have missed so much if we had not taken this tour. The three hours flew by! You can have a full day tour which includes the Rijks Museum but we had unfortunately already booked tickets for this Museum before we booked the walking tour.
A memorable trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottish Highlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had the great pleasure to spend 3 fabulous nights at Boogaards B&B, Amsterdam.

Prior to booking I had failed to find a hotel in the city which suited our needs, so had turned (as always) to Trip Advisor for help, extending my search to B&B establishments. I was thrilled to discover Boogaards and read the glowing reports with interest.

My attention was paticularly taken by the two bedroomed apartment offered,as this allows for the flexibility of self catering if desired, or, due to the superb location of Boogaards, the opportunity to dine in one of the many nearby eating establishments.

On arrival we were greeted by the wonderful owner, Peter ,who is the 'host with the most'.He showed us round the entire property, including his own private accommodation, before ensuring that we were comfortable in our own apartment and familiar with where things were located and how things worked. NOTHING was too much trouble for Peter and we were encouraged to give him a shout at anytime if we needed assistance. His local knowledge was first class, as was his English having lived in the US previously.

So, the apartment.....

Such a cosy, comfortable place - it was perfect for our needs. The rooms were perfectly clean, the beds comfortable, and the linens and towels of good quality and plentiful. The bathroom was stocked with shampoo, soap, shower gel, shower caps, hand cream, wet wipes, razor, toothbrush and toothpaste! Both bedrooms have ensuite showers. In the lounge area there were umbrellas for guest use, many guidebooks and maps, AND a laptop!!!!

However, the kitchen area impressed me most of all. It was here that Peter's hospitality shone the brightest. The cutlery and crockery were good quality (matching!) and in good supply, as were the kitchen utensils, pots and pans. The was a dishwasher, large fridge with freezer compartment, gas hob, convection oven, toaster, kettle and coffee maker. The fridge was stocked with milk, soft drinks and beer, cooked meats, cheese and butter, pancakes, eggs and bacon. In addition there was cake, 3 types of bread, soups,cookies, apples and bananas, tea and coffee, and breakfast cereal - more than enough food to feed us for the entire 3 nights of our stay! But that was not all.....Peter makes suberb cakes which he places in the apartment on a daily basis. I have never met a host like Peter before, and I doubt I ever will again. These are the gestures that make a holiday feel like a real boost. As far as self catering goes this cannot be beaten - no stress of searching for shops to buy food for breakfast or dinner with a fussy 9 year old in tow. Peter truly understands the needs of his visitors and will go to any length to ensure that you have the best holiday you could have hoped for.

We hope this has helped and would not hesitate for one second to recommend that you visit for yourself and see that we were not exaggerating when we say that this place is top class..

Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Four of us stayed 3 nights as Peter's guests & had the entire third floor to ourselves. It was our favorite place to stay in our two weeks in Europe. Peter is a consummate host: breakfast is out of this world, he is a virtual tour guide, makes all of your dinner reservation, & he surprised us with a private viola & cello concert to celebrate our recent wedding in Switzerland. Remember this is a 400 year old canal row house, staircases are a bit steep!! However, his remodeling inside is very modern and comfortable.

Room Tip: Stay as long as you can. Front bedroom is a bit noisier than back bedroom because it's on the st...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Lovely hosts, ridiculously delicious breakfasts, exquisite mid afternoon snacks and unbelievable location! My hubs and I stayed here in March so this is way overdue, but it was so wonderful I am reviewing 6 months later! We loved it, perfect in every way. Thanks for making our trip fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Boogard's is first class all the way and then some.

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Peter's superior B&B in the beginning of October. He spoiled us rotten from our very first minute. We arrived about 10:00AM while the lucky guests who had spent the night were sitting around the table chatting and finishing what looked like a great breakfast. We found out a couple of days latter that it was indeed one of the many wonderful breakfasts with which Peter spoils his guests - Dutch pancakes with a wide variety of fillings and toppings including, but not limited to, some of the best bacon I have ever eaten, fresh warm apple compote, fresh fruits, thick chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and I cannot remember what all else. We were lucky enough to have Peter's legendary pancakes a couple of days into our stay. Also love the really good coffee and fresh OJ.
Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Despite being in the middle of breakfast with his guests, Peter gave us a genuinely warm welcome, joked with us and asked if we would like anything at all to eat or drink. All I wanted was some really cold water as we were going out to meet up with a tour. Peter happily provided 2 glasses for me. He then asked when we would be back so that he would be sure to have our room ready. We returned about the time we said we would and our room was ready and waiting. Not only that, but our luggage (all 2 tons of it!) was up in our room! I was stunned and my husband was most appreciative. Peter's stand on the matter was that it was his job to take care of it since we were out and about on holiday. We had a serious amount of luggage.
Peter gave us an excellent map of Amsterdam - mind you NOT the kind they give you in the tourist office, but the kind that costs €5. He marked the location of our new home (we wish!) on the map as well as the areas we said we would like to visit. He also took plenty of time from his busy schedule of spoiling everyone with some suggestions as to where/what else we might like to go/do/visit. Every one of his suggestions was perfect for us. He does this for all of his guests, by the way. We were also treated to a tour of his and his partner's lovingly restored 1600's home. It is absolutely elegant and well thought out. Comfort and function play a very important part in this home away from home. Peter's private living quarters were included in our tour and I have to tell you that the quarters his guests occupy were done to the same high standards as Peter's own living quarters. His room is directly over the one we occupied, so I know it is the same size!
I am not going to repeat what so many others have already said about the layout of the floors and the location of the B&B in relation to trams, train station, and attractions. Suffice it to say that the other reviewers who cited convenient location are absolutely correct. What I will tell you is that both my husband and myself agree that we have never stayed at any B&B anywhere that even comes close to the high standards of Boogaards; and over the years we have stayed at too many to count. On this 6 week trip alone we have stayed at several that we have rated the full 5 "stars" that Trip Advisor allows. I am really upset that Trip Advisor does NOT allow for an even higher rating than "excellent". Boogaard's is head and shoulders above any B&B at which we have ever stayed - reviewed or not. I would love to have the option of rating it as "superiorly excellent" or something (maybe 10 stars) that communicates how truly superior Peter and his B&B are. Not only is Boogaard"s not on the same planet as the rest of the B&B's on earth, it is so far superior that it is not even in the same universe.
During our stay, we noticed that Peter treats all of his guests with respect and unwavering dedication and devotion to making certain that they enjoy both Amsterdam AND his wonderful home. He is honestly interested in his guests. He takes the time to sit with us at the table during breakfast and takes an active part in whatever we are all talking about. He also sits and talks with his guests in the community sitting room on the 2nd floor between the Pug room and the Jack Russell room. He manages to do this without being in the least bit intrusive. More B&B owners should be this involved with their guests.
Now for some specifics. We had the Jack Russell room at the back of the house on the 2nd floor (European) which is the 3rd floor in American. From the first minute we walked through the door of our room we felt as though we were in our own home, except for the fact that this room was decorated more nicely and was a bit cozier than our own bedroom! It was quiet and indescribably comfortable. It was not huge but certainly not small, either. There was more than enough room for us to conveniently stash our things. We had plenty of clean towels every day. We arrived on a Sunday morning and Peter made certain that we knew he would do our laundry for us. Although we did not have tons of it at this point, we took him up on his offer. I felt so at ease that I was not in the least embarrassed by my torn undies (I had packed from the wrong pile and did not have a clue until a couple of days into the trip).
Breakfasts were adventures and community affairs. There is one large table around which all of the guests eat and talk. Peter is a superb cook who truly loves to cook. His varied homemade croissants are indescribably sinfully good. His pancakes (see above) are out of this world. His quiches - well I do not even know where to begin. On our last night, Peter put a breakfast into our refrigerator for us, as we were leaving at 6:30 the next morning to catch our flight back home to the real world (read that as without Peter to spoil us!). Who does that? I am not sure I'd do that for my husband - just kidding, or maybe not.
We especially liked talking to both Peter and our fellow guests. We all came and went as though we were in our own homes , and I know that my husband and I felt as though we were. While I am on the subject of food, I think it is important to repeat what some of the other reviewers have said about what I think of as the magic refrigerator. Desserts and soft drinks and beer magically appear (free of charge!) on each room's personal shelf every day. Sometimes the desserts magically appear on the sideboard in the community sitting room. Usually these are homemade. They are always delicious. I would seriously suggest forgoing any motorized transportation while staying at Boogard's. If you don' t walk just about everywhere, you WILL get FAT! I have to say I think that holds true even if you don't eat dinner.
I forgot to mention that Peter and Tom have two absolutely adorable and extremely well behaved little dogs who sit/lie on their own chairs in the breakfast room. There is no need for concern if you are worried that they are moochers. They most definitely are NOT! They usually remain lying very quietly on their chairs. Pepe is so quiet that most people do not even realize he is in the room, myself included on our first day. Both dogs are very photogenic.

Peter, I love you for giving us such a wonderful 4 days in Amsterdam. And I hate you for spoiling us for any B&B at which we stay in the future! You are a natural at this. And your sense of humor is absolutely wonderful. You absolutely positively nailed it! You have a room with us whenever you want to return to good old Cape May. I promise I will try to spoil you as rotten as you spoiled us. I doubt I will come close; but I'll try just the same. Thank You!!!

Room Tip: We had the Jack Russell room at the back. It was quiet and our windows overlooked other houses at th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at Boogaards B&B in Amsterdam: Peter, the owner opens his lovely, well cared for home to guests with knowledge to share regarding restaurants, bike tours, online ticket purchases and more. Daily prepared fresh foods for late afternoon munching and wonderful breakfasts of baked goods, cereals, fruit, juice, yogurt and coffee and tea.
Bike guide recommended by Peter for my husband and me was Martin Ribbens, a local man with much to offer as we biked to attractions and heard his explanations about what we saw. Very personalized and geared to our interests.

Room Tip: 4 rooms are available in Peter's home; 2 on the second floor; 2 on the 3rd floor. Discuss with P...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!