“Perfect honeymoon hotel - cool - sexy - gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #178 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect honeymoon hotel - cool - sexy - gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I can't speak highly enough about the college hotel - it is so sexy - dark sultry colours and fantastic decor and furnishings. The staff are partly students of the local hospitality schools trained by the regular staff of the hotel but don't be put off this just means that they're really keen and the place is very very well staffed we barely had to wait for anything at all. The bed was very comfortable the room was a little bit smaller than I would have liked but this was the only negative thing you could say because the rest was fabulous. The bathroom was stunning - the bath was so deep and the shower was great, everything was super clean. The restaraunt food is divine and the cocktails in the bar are gorgeous, like everything else in Amsterdam the food and drink is expensive but the quality is superb. The hotel is located in the museum district so a little bit out of town but there is tram stop right outside so that wasn't a problem at all in fact it was nice in the evening to get away from the busy city and the museum district is very pretty. My husband and I both loved it and would recommend it to anyone and everyone even if you are in Amsterdam on a budget trip drop in to them for a cocktail one night because the bar is brilliant.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights this week having been persuaded to change from my normal hotel (the Pulitzer) by a colleague who raved about the College Hotel.

First impression on coming into the hotel was that the building has been refurbished very stylishly and with attention to detail however it seemed quite dark coming in off the street (a theme that will recur) and it took me a little while to work out where to go to find the reception area (there were no obvious signs). On approaching the reception the girl behind the desk seemed quite unsure of herself but was quickly joined by a more experienced colleague who guided her through the check-in process which was pretty painless. Wasn't asked any questions about room preferences or similar. The inexperienced receptionist then accompanied me to my room, offering to take my bag but I suspect she wouldn't have been able to carry it as it was a little heavy! My room was on the first floor and on leaving the lift I was told it was quite a long walk so was a bit surprised to find that the room was within about 10m of the lift!

The hotel building design is lots of dark panels, exposed brickwork and discreet lighting (mostly uplighters). Nice effect but it does tend to make the place a bit dark even in the middle of the day. I caught my colleague later squinting at doors trying to read the room numbers to find his room such is the level of gloom!

The room itself was nice, with large windows (although there was little light coming in as they had big heavy drapes and a blind lowered down over most of the window. Lighting in the room was again subtle and whilst creating a nice atmosphere for a romantic night in, I was here for business meetings and would really have preferred a nice desk with a lamp I could work by - instead I got a thin occasional table masquerading as a desk and a little table lamp in place of a desk lamp. The ultimate annoyance however was the wifi internet access - I had to ring down for a code which someone promptly brought to my room but try as I might I couldn't connect to the wifi network. When I called down to reception for help I was told I needed to turn off my firewall - something I wasn't able to do as my laptop is work-supplied and locked down tighter than a (fill in your own metaphor). When I pointed this out and also that I'd not had the same problem at any other hotel in the world I was told that it was a common problem and they couldn't do anything about it and I wouldn't be able to connect. I was later told that it is also impossible to connect a Mac to the wifi!

Overall I liked the hotel and would consider it if I was on visiting with my wife for a weekend but for business trips, I'm heading back to the Pulitzer where you get the great character and working business facilities!

The location is ok if you need to be in the South of Amsterdam (tram stop outside with 10 minute ride to WTC/Zuid station) and some nice restaurants towards the concert hall. Also look out for the chess club in the building opposite the tram stop on Tuesday evenings.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Since we moved out of Amsterdam, we try to go back a couple weekends a year. We always stay at the College Hotel. This renovated hotel has a great luxury feel to it. Dark colors, thick carpets, great linens etc. The location is downtown, however not on the canals. But... the trams stop right in front of the hotel and you are still in the middle of a great area full of restaurants, shops and 200 yards from the Symphony Hall and less than 1/2 mile from all the main museums (van Gogh, Rijks etc). We have always stayed in the duplex studio which is amazing (2 stories, old beams). I believe the hotel is still is teaching hotel for students. You don't notice at checking however you do at the bar. I believe that is my only negative point. As a teaching hotel they should charge less than full prices in the bar/restaurants.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Oud-Heverlee, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a second one night stay at the College hotel. I called the reception desk on the day itself to make the booking (A'dam is only a few hours drive from our home). There were only 2 standard rooms left on the second floor, so we took one of those, although our preference would have been for those on the first floor as they have large windows and high ceilings, whereas on the 2nd floor, you are litterally under the roof with small windows. The girl at the reception advised to book breakfast in advance as it would then cost 15€ pp only (instead of 19€ pp) and so we did. We arrived at 8 pm at the hotel and were greeted by friendly staff who made us feel welcome. Subsequently we were pleasantly surprised to find out they had upgraded us to a room on the first floor (119) (luxury, I believe). Well that was a nice surprise, at least until we opened the door and were thrown back by a thick tobacco smell. Opening the window was of no help, as it was already open! So down we went again to reception: staff there was absolutely fantastic: there was no argument at all and to compensate for the inconvenience, we were promptly upgraded (so by ow it was a double upgrade), this time to a duplex room on the 2nd floor (206) which is one of their nicest rooms!! Minutes later a complimentary bottle of water arrived plus extra towels (although there were plenty already). In line with the common spaces of the hotel, the rooms are very tastefully decorated and the bathrooms are reasonably spacious, immaculately clean with solid and good looking fittings. 206 does not have a walk-in shower but a bathtub with an in-built shower: no worries here, this shower is heavenly! The towels should soon be replaced by new ones though:frequent washing has turned them into the kind of though cloth you would rather expect in a boys' boarding school indeed. 206 has a comfy downstairs sitting area and an inviting bed upstairs on the mezzanine with a window in the ceiling that can be closed by pulling a thick robe. The beds at the College hotel are very, very comfortable and make you sail off the moment your head touches the big, fluffy pillow. Although very cosy, many rooms are rather somber due to the dark colours of the upholstering and curtains combined with very discreet lighting. Normally we would not like this, but this is A'dam and the interior puts you in the right mood to enjoy the 17th century masters at the nearby Rijksmuseum.
Staff at reception, assisted by the chef who happened to pass by, were also more than helpful with booking a table (it was 8.30 pm by then) at one of the best fish restaurants in A'dam: Vis aan de Schelde; normally you need to book weeks in advance, but miraculously they had a table for us! This dinner was one of the best we had in the past six months! Thank you very much indeed!
As during our first stay, breakfast remains one area they seem to struggle with: it is served in what looks to have been the old "refter" canteen or sports hall, a beautifully restored large hall with lots of wood and trendy furniture, that looksout on to the courtyard that is furnished with stylish rotan garden furniture, has big olive trees and well trimmed buxus bushes. That is to say, you would have this view if staff would think of opening the curtains! One curtain was opened at my request, but the others remained closed, for no apparent reason, which is truely a shame. Breakfast now is a buffet with a good spread of smoked salmon, cheese and cold cuts, scrambled eggs (I do not recommend them), yoghurt, orange juice, croissants. Service is however still very slow and not very efficient: are they putting the absolute beginners here?? It turned out that our pre-booked breakfast had not been registered and brf would cost us 49€ for the two of us. This was however rectified upon check-out: not only did they reduce it to the agreed 30 € but they took the charge off our bill altogether! Needless to say that we were extremely satisfied with our stay at the College hotel and we will definitely return there! This is a college in the litteral sense of the word, but we find that true professionals might learn a lot from these yougsters who really do their utmost best to make your stay a success. Do they make mistakes? Yes they do, but the difference with a traduitional hotel is that at the College, at least, they will make up for it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We originally booked two days before going on to Paris and were so pleased that we returned for two more after returning to Amsterdam; additionally, I was unable to fly out the day I planned and once again came back to the College for an extra night. The entire staff was so welcoming that I truly felt at home and the disappointment of not being able to get back to the States as planned quickly dissipated at the College. The service was exceptional throughout our stay. This is a beautiful hotel in a great area within walking distance to museums but far enough away from touristy city center with great neighborhoods to explore.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Although the location is now the best attraction for this hotel (it is located next to the Van Gogh Museum and the P.C. Hooftstrat, but a little bit far from the other attractions), the College rests one of the best hotel in Amsterdam. Spotless room and bathroom (almost impossible to find in Holland), very professional concierge and high standard services. And not so expensive!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I booked the College because I wanted 'boutique' and the Dylan and the Lloyd both looked too similar to much London interior design (and are also very expensive!). I had some last-minute misgivings about this hotel when I browsed some of the online reviews, but kept my fingers crossed that all would be OK for our stay if we were patient with the 'Fifteen' style social enterprise aspect.

In the event, The College delivered exactly what I wanted. I specifically asked for room 123, as recommended by two reviewers, and was rewarded with the most impressive hotel room I've ever been lucky enough to stay in. This room, on the first floor, is at the end of a projecting wing and features monumental 19th century schoolroom windows on three sides (think London Queen Anne Revival from the 1880's). The split-level interior has been cleverly and sympathetically decorated in a black lacquer and taupe colour scheme that in this context looks much more 'aesthetic movement' than Kelly Hoppen. And the shower was huge and torrential. Brilliant.

As some other bloggers have noted, the excellent interior design is occasionally let down by minor wear and tear, and the service is what you'd expect from teenagers; slightly hesitant and a bit gauche. Breakfast was expensive and the light switches in the room were just too clever to be usable. Don't let any of that put you off, though. In high summer, with the Centrum sweltering and full of gawping backpackers, The College is an air-conditioned oasis of style and poise. Located just beyond the tourist areas, but still around the corner from the boho Pijp district and the delights of Albert Cuyp Markt, it's a great base to explore contemporary Amsterdam. If you're the traveller who can sort out what to see and how to move around for yourself, it's absolutely perfect

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!