“A very affordable luxury hotel thanks the "hotel-school" concept” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #165 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Zurich, Switzerland
“A very affordable luxury hotel thanks the "hotel-school" concept”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

A former college rebuilt in a luxury hotel in a very professional way. Everything has been re-done, the renovation is fantastic and the building is now a true hotel building. The hotel is staffed by learning students. Expect a beautiful place with the "adventures" that an amateur (in the positive sense) staff can offer. 8:30 wake-up calls rings at 6:00, check-out requires 10 minutes, No staff attended the garage despite a phone call. But the staff is so nice an patient and candid that I forgave everything. I'll definitively return. The college hotel is located south of downton and the vondel which is not to far away for a run. Ride to the city is EUR 10. Maybe not the best business hotel in town if you are in a rush but a fantastic place -even much better than more famous a more expensives places along the graacht- if you have time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the College Hotel and loved it. The building itself is an old College and the large corridors and large door ways are still in tact. The decor is very warm and stylish. The room was very spacious, with a beautiful bathroom with a large tub that was perfect after long walks around the city.

The bar area is full of life, with a seemingly local crowd mixed with the hotel guests. The best thing is that the setup of the hotel means you don't get disturbed by the noise or anything. The service is warm and energetic, i was very impressed by the speed of things. When we called for something it seemed to be at the door before the phone was hung up. There are always little goodies such as macaroons at the front desk an apple drink in the lobby or the small raspberry tarts in the bar, which are great touches. The room was spotless and everything was functioning perfectly, we never had any problems.

They also have 2 vespa scooters which looked like fun, unfortunately i can't ride one and would probably have ended up under a tram if I had tried. There are bicycles also to rent there.

Amsterdam is a great city to visit, the conceirge helped us with excellent restaurant reservations and helping us understand the tram routes. I highly recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel for the first time and for only one night a few months ago and thus, of course, my experience may not be considered to be totally representative of all this establishment represents to its certain fans. I recommended it yet with one or two suggestions.

The College is chic, contemporary chic, and slick and Dark (dark in that Schraeger hotels kind of way), its night all day because, hey, you’re that type .. aren’t you? … like us? . Dark equals modern and “Today”, an environment for an urban tribe that you are never sure will accept ya as a member or to which you even belong. Dark with smouldering fig scented candles, young staff, slicked hair, dark suits, black shirts with matching ties. Staff as your equal, your pal, a fellow traveller, ( here at the College they were never condescending .. for that try other Dark Temples of Today such as the Costes in Paris or a few places in NYC (You can guess).

A former school it continues to be a school for its staff, all students studying the Hotel business. On first reading this on their web site I was somewhat anxious that this could get in the way of the efficiency a business trip often requires, I needn’t have… all contact I had with the reception or any other member of the team at the College was excellent, friendly, efficient and far from amateur, If just for the team this place is a ten star.

I checked in at 5pm after my Thalys from Paris. True it was winter and dark outside but one guesses a hotel is hooked up to the grid. I was presented my beautiful room and left with a smile. My room was spacious, the walk in shower ample ( no bath but, hey, when you are in a rush….. ). But dark, very dark, black hole dark. The exploration in the dark began. I fumblingly found the light switches only to learn that I was none the wiser or seeing with all lit. Believe me I have never had any ambitions to be a miner – as in coal – and my stay at the College only compounded my certainty that I posses no aptitudes for that way of life. A step in my room down to the level of the bed proved treacherous. It honestly took me 20 minutes to find the sockets for my computer and chargers to get all up and running. etc. etc. I suggest each room is equipped with a pocket lamp or …. a miners hat ………. to assist guests navigate their habitat at The College. My room service breakfast arrived spot on time and was great.

My other, more sinister, point of dissatisfaction was on the moment of my departure. My checkout went perfectly and I asked for a taxi to bring me to the Central Train station. User beware! The taxi driver, chosen by the hotel, met me outside and, en route, insisted that he was a car service from the hotel and that the fixed rate was Euro 45. I insisted that I had requested a taxi and not a car service … my protestations fell on deaf, stubborn and rude ears. On arrival at the train station I called the hotel to request clarification and protest at the exorbitant fee for a journey that might have cost EURO 25. They promised to call me back … I am still waiting. I suspect they haven’t found the phone in the dark.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Dallas,Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

This hotel is beautiful and the rooms are plush. We stayed in Room #101 which was a dluxe double. It is worth it to pay a liitle more for the deluxe. The room was beautfully decorated with fine linens and down pillows. The bathroom was marlble and mosaic tile with his and her vanities as well as a separate tub and shower and toilet area. Robes and slippers are provided as well as flat screen tv,mini bar,24hr. room service. This room was huge! We had floor to ceiling windows and furnishings are soft comtemporary style with quality fabrics. I feel the value for the dollar was well worth the $285 per night rate.
The hotel is walking distance to the museums and is a perfect location. Not on a canal if that is what you are looking for though. The hotel has dimmed lighting as well in the rooms which I found relaxing. The restaurant and bar area are chic and draw a very well heeled crowd. First choice of hotels for me was the Dylan but didnt have any available rooms the weekend I was there and also more expensive. I am glad we ended up at The College Hotel. Love it!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We stayed at The College Hotel over Valentines Weekend February 2009 having read reviews on Trip Advisor and in Wallpaper City Guide and Conde Nast Traveller.

The location for us was perfect. We had booked a concert at The Concertgebouw which is only a leisurely 10 minute walk away and wanted to see the Dutch Master paintings at the Rijksmuseum which is just across from The Concertgebouw. We had room 206 on the 2nd floor, a mini suite with a lower sitting area, wardrobe, bathroom etc and mezzanine bedroom area up some fairly steep stairs. The room was comfortable enough but had only a small high window and a rooflight in the bedroom area. Generally we found the room quite dark. Like the rest of the hotel it was decorated in dark colours with lots of black. We found this oppressive in deepest February with sleet falling and would not have liked it at all in summer. If anything, we found the decor dated even though the hotel is only a few years old. We had the continental breakfast in the restaurant and it was OK but no bargain at 19.50 Euros. We ate in the bar and the food again was OK but lukewarm, definitely not gourmet and expensive for what it was. They were building a dining terrace outside the dining room which would be great in spring and summer.

You have to be aware that as well as being a former college this hotel is now a school for hotel and catering staff (hence COLLEGE Hotel) so the service everywhere is not slick. We returned from the concert to find a hamburger that we had not ordered congealing in our room on a tray!

The bar is something of a local destination so when we got back and wanted a drink we had to compete with a considerable crowd for service. There is wi fi but it's charged at 14.50 Euros a day for high speed.

Overall, I expected to be knocked out by The College Hotel but wasn't. I think I would try somehere else in Amsterdam next time but if you like dark decor and are not that fussy about service the location is great.

As for Amsterdam itself, a beautiful city but with the pound at 1.10 to the Euro everything was pretty expensive and I can understand why Europeans are shopping in London right now.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

The overall design theme of this hotel is 'dark'. I had a nice enough room but with a really tiny window, way above head height, which was obscured by a beam: the window let in more noise than light. I am not quite sure how the glimpse of the eaves of a neighbouring building qualifies as a 'city view' - an Ann Frank experience perhaps.

The black furniture and low lighting emphasized the gloom. I asked for extra light and after two days one feeble desk lamp arrived but as there were no plugs near the desk it was pretty useless.

The room wasn't dirty but neither was it clean. The bedside surfaces hadn't been dusted when I arrived and hadn't been cleaned when i left either.

The hotel is essentially a training college for the Stein hotel group and whilst the kids are sweet the novelty soon wears off. There is only so much inept service one can stand when paying top dollar prices.

Room service was excruciatingly amateur, restaurant service was bizarre, and the food was undercooked.

For these prices it is hard to recommend being a guinea pig at this establishment.

• Liked — Nice building.
  • Disliked — Amateur Service and gloom.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

I stayed for a night and paid 215 euros. The hotel is beautiful: a nice building very well done up, a stylish bar, rooms tastefully furnished and decorated. The original room which I was given had a window which would not shut completely. After a couple of staff tried to close it, I was offered a much nicer room.

The staff very nice and polite - a slight amateurish way (I understand that the hotel is also a training school) is endearing rather than annoying (that said, I was told that the window had not shut the night prior to my arrival either - why, then, was the room considered suitable for a customer?).

The bed was very comfortable indeed and the sheets of good quality, I dined at the restaurant and had a very enjoyable evening - the food was good (and, at 45 euros for a three course meal, reasonably priced for the standard of the hotel), the service excellent, the room very good indeed.

All in all, an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!