“A very nice hotel and lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #178 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“A very nice hotel and lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great looking very nice hotel with really helpful staff. The hotel is very modern chic and extremely well styled. The staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful making reservations and booking things when we needed and helping wit restaurant recommendations etc. they also have biked and scooters to rent on site and a great restaurant and outside bar area. My only complaint are the weird massive square pillows but apart from that everything was brilliant.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Tweed Heads, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This could be a good hotel if it weren't for some ridiculous design features where form has taken over function to new levels. Evidence the reading lights with switches so high you have to get out of bed to activate them. The other light switches are ridiculous by design and frustrating by their placement. The coffee machine is in a nook with no light above it. I had to use my miners light torch to make a coffee. The hotel also takes price gouging to a new level by charging 2.5 Euros for a coffee capsule which sells for 40 euro cents at most, and that is the retail price.

The hotel also has a complex design and layout, fortunately I was able to find my way back to my room by following, Hansel & Gretel like, the trail of dirty marks and bleach stains on tbe carpet.

Cold coffee served at breakfast by Staff who could not care less, the location being a decent tram ride from the city central and you have a 4 star hotel which is better avoided in preference for something like The Convent if you like hotels with character in Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Simone D, Front Office Manager at College Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Dalmania,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate it you took the time to give us your valuable feedback. We are very sorry to hear that your last stay was not to your satisfaction.

It is too bad to hear that our design was not practical for you. There is chosen for this design in The College hotel to create a warm and luxury atmosphere. We are aware some of the rooms may be a bit darker through this design. We always have a few extra lights to help out the guests who prefer a bit more light.

Your notes about the coffee capsules in the room and the coffee service during breakfast are mentioned in our Management Team to improve the service.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, feedback is always important to us, so we can improve our service.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can do for you. We hope, despite your experience, to welcome you again in The College Hotel.

Warm regards,

Simone
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here in June 14 for 3 nights. It is well located for a short walk to the museums and a pleasant longer one to the centre, Well connected by tram to Jordaan which is a lovely area. The hotel is smart, the décor throughout is dark, so some of the rooms can be difficult if you need a lot of light. It is a training hotel so expect a wait for drinks etc but that also seems to be the Dutch way.Breakfast is quite ok.All in all well located , friendly and would visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Groningen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for one night for a festival in the city with a friend; asked for an early-check-in upon arrival at 12:15pm, but nothing was communicated with the Front Office employees. Nevertheless, we could check-in 15-20min. after arrival. Rooms are lovely, spacious enough for 2 people for one night. But some features in the room are very unhandy: 1. No door in the shower, so the water runs into the bathroom while taking a shower. 2. We were able to only shut one curtain, keeping in mind that the neighbors from across the street could easily look into our room, while keeping it open. 3. Insufficient lightning for doing your make-up; in the bathroom nor the room itself. 4. Not enough sockets/plugs for charging your phone+camera+laptop/tablet. Needed to pull one plug from the lights out to be able to charge my phone.
Location of the hotel is magnificent; multiple tram lines depart from the opposite side of the hotel; taking you everywhere in Amsterdam. Close to the Museumplein, where the most musea are located (Rijks, Van Gogh etc.). Tram 5 takes you in max. 15 minutes from the hotel to the Dam Square and Central Station - ideal!
Just one piece of advice for the Front Office lady; néver say " Doei Doei " upon check-out, sounds kind of unprofessional for a 4**** hotel.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that if you are +1.80m. the shower might be a problem standing up. Might be wise to not...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a night and we had such a wonderful stay. We had read some of the reviews about the student staff not being quite up to scratch, but i have to say that we experienced none of that. Really attentive and accommodating service from start to finish. We had a lovely room with high ceilings and beams, with a gorgeous bathroom. On the last Sunday of every month they have jazz playing in the terrace outside, which we were lucky enough to see. They even had two weddings on the same night we stayed and you would be none the wiser. A really gorgeous hotel with lovely decor and really friendly staff. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Loved our stay here. It is a beautiful hotel, with lovely grounds and public spaces, great big room with a proper separate toilet/shower and bath (we do not like this new tendency of all open plan business in new hotels).
It is well located, not super-central, but good enough.
It is quiet and well run. Bed is comfy and beddings are good.
Very romantic setting and with lots of character and style.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Izmir, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed there for my meeting at RAI. I phoned them before to extend my stay, it was confirmed. When i arrived there, it took them half an hour to tell them that i am staying 3+1 day. They put my extension on another reservation. The atmosphere of the hotel is great anyways. However the curtains in my room was broken so they offered me another room so in total one and a half hours to be in my room. They give complimentary coffe only on your first day and you had to buy the rest. This was a first for me cause all hotels renew it daily. Well everything happened on my last day. It took them half an hour to write a sentence on my invoice. And in addition to one day hotel price plus 150 euros they blocked on my first day, they charged me an again. Why did they block one day room fee on the first day remains anonymous.
But more importantly they wanted to charge me again the next day again excusing they forgot to charge me so again they were asking me room price plus late informing fee(which was not something related to me and some extra charges which i did not eaten or drinken. I maybe send more than ten mails to get it solved.
Summary: the staff is not educated and has limited capacity. They charge you more so check your credit card or invoice! Service is horrible, excluding those at the bar.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!